Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHair coloring = Automatic damage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
byrdlady22 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2006 at 9:47am
There are other colors it says made for grey hair on the box
Sponsored Links

amandita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2006 at 5:08pm
what was wrong with the dark n lovely rinse?? or were u refering to their permanent color..? i liked there rinse they even give u a plastic cap, gloves, and leave in con in the box...
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2006 at 5:15pm
Dark & Lovely made my hair a total mess a few years ago.  I did not learn my lesson well.  I used D&L dye a few months ago, and my hair went from BSL to my neck.  That is with using all the best conditioners.  My hair is just recovering.  If you do a search about this product, you will see the posts about D&L damaging people's hair.

MsHighlights, if you jave a Sally's Beauty Supply in your area.  You cannot go wrong with any of the demi-permanent or semi-permanent hairdyes.  You will be pleased with the result.  You wash, deep condition your hair, rinse, then apply the semi-permanent dye, then rinse again, and your hair will be fine.
Tricia08 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2006 at 5:51pm
I am currently using Dark and lovely Semi with not mush luck...(it washes out way tooo soon)I am looking forward to trying new rinses such as Soft & Beautiful, Jazzing or fusion..

I believe you are soo right when you say Perm Dye=Damage ...This girl at my job had a Beautiful head of hair an inch or so past SL and thick...anyway a few weeks ago she dyed her hair a Golden Brown color ..i recently seen her and she had a short Bob cut and her hair was Jet Black and looked alot thinner in apparence...I asked her why she cut her hair & she told me in a sort of phony voice"I always cut my hair" I thought she was fronting ,,apparently the dye tore out her hair and caused her to cut it and rinse it black and she did not want to admit it...her hair looked sooo thin..I was laguhing soo hard inside bc I knew she was frnting...LOL

I had a bad experiece with Dye last year ..I used Textures & tones ...it caused my hair to go frm SL to barely neck length within two mnths ...my hair just strted making progress a few mnths ago after that horror story...so no more Dye for me...just black rinses and semi's
Delena06 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2006 at 7:34am
I can definitely speak on this issue. I had very beautiful highlights in my hair (for almost a year) but I had to have a dark brown rinse put in because of the damage. For me, the color damaged my hair to a point. Once summer got here...the damage got worse.

If you notice, on the back on the highlighting box, in small print it says "This product is not for relaxed hair". The highlights process your already processed hair to a point of irreversabile damage. Stylists say "Keep it oiled and deep conditioned". I truly think that highlighting/bleaching your hair = hair damage no matter what you do.

I guess I was lucky because I didnt have to cut my hair off. I just have boring almost black hair now Disapprove

At one of the beauty supply stores I go to, there was an ethiopian young lady who had long hair with beautiful copper hightlights. Now, her hair is about 2 inches long. It looks totally fried off!

Now I am back to just using semi permanent colors. Natural insticts is the best semi permament color there is! I used it for years before I got highlights. Beautiful Browns and Jazzing rinses off too quickly. I stopped using Jazzing back in the 90's when the blue/black color turned my hair a tint of green Shocked. Casting colorspa is also good, but Natural Insticts is the greatest!

morning_glory View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2006 at 10:09am
Originally posted by sunbird sunbird wrote:

A natural henna is safe and gives highlights, warm colors, and strengtens your hair.  Don't try the Sally's liquid henna but all natural powders from Africa or India.  It is a bit messy but worth the effort.

You need to be careful with henna. If you are planning on using just the henna, you should be fine. But henna is almost impossible to remove, and may also need to check before applying relaxer or straighetner after the henna. The thing about henna is it doesn't rinse out, it coats the hair and I believe it is the metallic salts in it taht reacts with other hair treatments.

BUT- if you're natural and aren't going to use anything else, then henna is GREAT. It gives your hair natural reddish highlight/tint. And it can strengthen your hair as well as condition it...I know there is a henna mask you can use as just a treatment, not a color..maybe taht might be worth checking out. Sunbird's right though, use the one from India or Africa...and try to stay away from the black henna. They use a dye in it to make it black cuz natural henna is a red color. (Hehe, I did my final thesis in beauty school on the history of henna:) )

I used to color my hair all the time..At one point I think I had like 7 hair color processes on it. My hair was perfectly fine (if I took care of it). But then I let the color grow out and got it thermally straightened and it broke off SOOOOO bad! I guess my hair just couldn't handle the straightening :(

Delena's right- permanently lightening your hair color will comprimise your hair condition. Even if it's just a teeny tiny bit. But if you take care of it and stuff, its awesome! Whatever you do, make sure you deep condition loads before and DO A PATCH TEST!! I stopped doing them ebcause I colored my hair so often, but the last couple of times I colored my hair, my scalp broke out so bad and it just literally peeled off. Not pleasant. Hope I helped, good luck!!
amandita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2006 at 10:15am
exactly, on hair coloring warnings/directions...MOST of the time it clearly states do not use if u have used metallic dyes/henna ...so u may be stuck with henna for a while..it doesnt seem to be too compatible with other products..
Ms. highlight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2006 at 11:24am
WOW! I am learning alot about hair color. I have perm colored my hair a few times and thank the Lord nothing happened. I got highlights when I lived in Japan and all i can say is she really knew what she was doing, my hair was ver healthy. So after I moved back here I waited 1 1/2 yrs before i got another color and I wanted highlights but she gave me a color on the crown of my head and it has been a mess every sinceCry. I'm afraid of color and the gold color is still in my hair I just wanted to cover the grey patch in the front of head. Thank you all for your advice I feel better about going to get a rinse for my patch. Do you think it will be alright to put a rinse over the color I have now? Should I stick to dark colors?
amandita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2006 at 11:34am
also imo and from what i have SEEN...it depends on obviously the HEALTH of your hair ...also THE GRADE of hair you have...i have seen women with a 4a/4b/4z type of hair and it does the worst on that hair than mabye a 3a/3b/3c type... so for some i would NEVER recommend it(perm color)b/c of that reason alone ... also if u already have a relaxer u must be especially careful of permanent  hair  color b/c it is a DOULBE PROCESS...tooo close to OVER processed imo(going from black to chocolate may not be that bad)... so if u are a 4a/4b/4z + relaxer+ permanent hair color= DOOM..LOL...but there are always exceptions...(havent seen them though)
Ms. highlight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2006 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by amandita amandita wrote:

also imo and from what i have SEEN...it depends on obviously the HEALTH of your hair ...also THE GRADE of hair you have...i have seen women with a 4a/4b/4z type of hair and it does the worst on that hair than mabye a 3a/3b/3c type... so for some i would NEVER recommend it(perm color)b/c of that reason alone ... also if u already have a relaxer u must be especially careful of permanent  hair  color b/c it is a DOULBE PROCESS...tooo close to OVER processed imo(going from black to chocolate may not be that bad)... so if u are a 4a/4b/4z + relaxer+ permanent hair color= DOOM..LOL...but there are always exceptions...(havent seen them though)

I was planning on using a rinse no more perm color for me!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic