It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
perkins35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair care regimen after Chemo
    Posted: Jul 25 2006 at 1:57pm
Hi,
 I am a newbie and have started my hair care journey recently. This question is for my sister's hair. Last year she underwent chemo therapy and as a result she has lost all her hair. Recently her hair started growing back but has stopped at about less than 1 inch. I have told her to start co washing everyday and I have been using surge plus 14 , ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion, and castor oil on her hair. I have also started massaging her scalp nightly and encouraging her to drink more water. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to jump start her hair growth again. Anything suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

babygirl185 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2006 at 2:27pm

Wow, that sounds like a good plan already!

Do you use a wide tooth comb to detangle her hair? What styles does she do? What is her hair type?

You can try to massage her scalp with essential oils like rosemary oil mixed with a carrier like jojoba oil.

She can also start taking supplements - maybe starting with a good multi vitamin and essential fatty acids (flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, those omega 3-6-9 combos)

She should ask her doctor about taking biotin/MSM/hair growth pills - they might help too.

I hope your sister gets better soon! HTH
Baggettcindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2006 at 2:27pm
My mom also lost her hair through chemo..but her hair was kept in a low cut to begin with.  I would maybe try a medicated shampoo...maybe sulfur 8, but just my opinion...I'm no expert.
perkins35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2006 at 2:35pm
Hi Babygirl85,

I am not exactly sure of her hair type but i will check into it and try to type her. I do use a wide tooth comb to detangle. And her hair is so short now that she still wears a wig. But since I have started using the products ( castor oil, ORS) her hair has gotten thicker. I told her to ask her doctors about taking supplements, because she is still taking a medication that she has to take daily for five years.  But I will definitely buy some of the essentials oil to massage her scalp. Thanks
babygirl185 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2006 at 3:49pm
welcome :)
Gisselle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2006 at 5:16pm
Nioxin is often used by patients who had chemo and experienced hair loss.
perkins35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 9:57am
Thanks I will check into the nioxin and the sulphur 8
Lady Pink Ice View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 12:37pm
my mom is a breast cancer survivor and lost all of her hair due to chemo...

i was there the day her hair came out in chunks...we both cried...Cry

now that treatment is over, we've been working with solutions to get it growing healthy. at first, she just let it grow and didn't relax. for my mom she couldn't take the extra soft limp texture so she relaxed (i was made at her for that!!! Angry) nevertheless her hair is growing and looks great. it's not really dense though...

right now we have her using Murad Hair Product Line. She's gotten great results from it. She's been off chemo for a few years now.

Soooo...i would suggest the following...

1. let your (her) hair grow.

2. don't use too many products

3. the new hair that's growing in is brand new, b/c the cell structure has been restructured with new DNA so to speak...so it's not going to be the same hair that was there before.

4. think of growing hair from this state as growing hair on a new born baby...

5. take some time to get to know the new hair pattern and try working with the new texture.

6. good growth products for growing hair after chemo are Murad and Nioxin. I use these products now even though I don't have thinning hair...their just excellent products!

7. DON'T RELAX IT!!! try working with the new texture for a year or so, then make a decision from there.

I hope this is helpful...i may ask my mom for some insight from her personal experience and then post again...
LdySpartyLo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by perkins35 perkins35 wrote:

Hi,
 I am a newbie and have started my hair care journey recently. This question is for my sister's hair. Last year she underwent chemo therapy and as a result she has lost all her hair. Recently her hair started growing back but has stopped at about less than 1 inch. I have told her to start co washing everyday and I have been using surge plus 14 , ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing Lotion, and castor oil on her hair. I have also started massaging her scalp nightly and encouraging her to drink more water. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to jump start her hair growth again. Anything suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I use a special cap that I purchased from my hair/skin doctor to treat a genetically caused thin area.  She specializes in treating hair loss, especially following chemo.  The cap is has ceramic woven into the fabric and it promotes circulation.  Here's the website where it can be purchased.  Thermoflowproducts.com: Therapy Head Cap
I wear the cap in the evening after I apply my hair growth products to my scalp and then I sleep with it on.  HTH!
perkins35 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 1:39pm
Thanks for all your advice, it is very helpful. I just found out the JC Penny  in the mall has the Nioxin line so I am going to get her some this weekend. I will check into  the Murad Line also. ThanksClap
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic