BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hair Breakage 101--- just wanted to share

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 73>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mizzslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 11:10am
WOW!  Glad to see this thread still tugging along!  So glad so many of you guys have enjoyed it and found it helpful!
Sponsored Links

relaxedtresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relaxedtresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2011 at 12:23am
I was just wondering if anyone has NO breakage.  It seems that no matter what I do there is always hair on my shirt after I comb. My hair grows and had gotten to APL before I let someone dye and now I am trying to grow it back.  I moisturize and seal, I use protein treatment as needed, I DC weekly and haven't touched my blowdryer in 3 months but I flatiron still.  Here is what I gathered tonight after I wrapped my hair for the night.  Is it a little bit of breakage normal? What am I doing wrong?

tsutiger11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsutiger11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2011 at 7:16pm
im years late to this post but this is great!!
sbarra21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbarra21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2011 at 10:14pm
This thread was very helpful but i have a question. What do I do if one side is balanced and the other is not? The front of my head is perfect but the back is in need of some serious protein. Can I do a protein treatment in only part of my head?? I really need answers cuz the breakage is drivin me insane!!
DeliciouslyWeird View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciouslyWeird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2011 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by relaxedtresses relaxedtresses wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone has NO breakage.  It seems that no matter what I do there is always hair on my shirt after I comb. My hair grows and had gotten to APL before I let someone dye and now I am trying to grow it back.  I moisturize and seal, I use protein treatment as needed, I DC weekly and haven't touched my blowdryer in 3 months but I flatiron still.  Here is what I gathered tonight after I wrapped my hair for the night.  Is it a little bit of breakage normal? What am I doing wrong?

Is that the hair in your hand? Are you sure it's breakage and not shedding? It is normal for hair to shed on average I think it's about 50 hairs a day maybe more or less depending on certain factors. If it's only shedding it's nothing to worry about but some women swear by garlic supplements if you are unhappy with it. But breakage is never normal or ok.
Are you using heat protecting products? That is sooo important! And how often do you flat iron? That's important also.
bellacnella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellacnella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 1:48am
good thread
Litebrite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Litebrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2011 at 6:38pm
omg love the info but now im even more confused... someone please help me
1st off when do i know which leave in to use? 2ndly which type to use when i flat iron, too much info confuses me!!!!
vibrant1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibrant1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 4:24pm
Mizzslick
Loved the info. even though I have not figured out the wet assesment concerning my hair.  By the way your hair is beautiful. 
One question that I have is how or is it possible to get my hair silky?  I am relaxed my hair is healthy I don't have breakage or shedding.  I do not use heat on my hair, I only do the braid out on my hair.  My hair looks and feels good but I would like for it to look and feel silky?  It shines but since I have not been using heat I am lacking that element.Cry
Do you have to have a certain texture to your hair to achieve this look and feel?  Confused
Any suggestion would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
starkzmaiden22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starkzmaiden22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 12:21am
I'm roughly 6months n2 my journey for healthier hair and I think I've hit a road block.  When I began this journey I had hair just over chin length and prior to this road block my hair was growing and experiencing almost no breakage.  At the time I was using a variety of diff products (by no means inclusive, somewhat of a product junkie Smile : Shampoos--Ion Moisturizing Shampoo, Ion Clarifying Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo, Aphogee Deep Moisture Shampoo, and Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair; Conditioners--Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Conditioner, Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner, Generic Moisturizing Conditioner (Nexxus), and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner; Deep Conditioners--Mixture of Vo5 Moisture Milk and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner or Generic Moisturizing Conditioner (Nexxus), Leave-In Conditioners/Moisturizers--Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic and Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In Conditioner; Treatments--Ion Effective Care Treatment, Ion Moisturizing Treatment, Aphogee 2-Min Reconstructor, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor, and Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment; Daily Moisturizers--Luster's S-Curl Moisturizer and Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer; and Sealants--Mixture of Castor, Grapeseed, and Jojoba Oil.

Normal Routine:
(1) Wash hair every 3-4 days w/ moisturizing shampoo
(2) Condition w/ a moisturizing conditioner
(3) Deep condition every 2 wks w/ mixture of V05 and a deep moisturizing conditioner (I don't usually sit under the dryer, mostly letting deep conditioner stay in overnight)
(4) Apply a leave-in moisturizer, Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Reconstructor, and Fantasia Heat Protectant
(5) Let hair dry 50% before blow drying on med heat
(6) Apply half size of dime amount of One 'n Only Argan Oil
(7) Flat iron hair
(8) Moisturize w/ Luster's S-Curl Moisturizer
(9) Seal w/ mixture of castor, grapeseed, and jojoba oil
(10) Wrap scarf over edges and apply bonnet

I wear my hair in ponytail 5 days of the week, apply heat only after washing, and moisturize and seal 2x/day (once in morning and again at night). 

As I mentioned earlier I've been experiencing some breakage.  I'm not sure if this plays a part but I am now stationed in South Korea and weather is REALLY humid.  I'm wondering if the humidity is causing my hair to be overly moisturized.  Another concern is the humidity is of course causing my hair to sweat ALOT and I find that when my hair sweats it gets hard when it drys--when this occurs I try to compensate by apply a moisturizer but my hair doesn't respond to it.  So I've been washing my hair more often to avoid the rough feel.  I find that my hair breaks more when it's dirty or when it's hard.  Also, I'm 2months post relaxer and plan on stretching for a total of 6months or longer (trying to decide on whether or not to go all natural).

One of my MAJOR concerns is that the front of my hair is breaking more than any other section.  I wear my ponytail w/ a part down the middle and when I tie my hair up at night I put the scarf on my hair as if I still have the ponytail in but I take out the ponytail holder.  So now I'm tying my hair up w/ the front of my hair combed back in order to fight the breakage. 

I just washed my hair today. Below are the products I used:
(1) Deep conditioned w/ V05 Moisture Milk and Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner overnight
(2) Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment followed by Aphogee Moisture Treatment
(3) Carol's Daughter Blk Vanilla Herbal Shampoo
(4) Carol's Daughter Blk Vanilla Hair Smoothie
(5) Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
(6) Mix of Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-In Tonic and Glycerin
(7) Fantasia Heat Protectant
(8) Half dime size amount of One 'n Only Argan Oil
(9) Silken Child Silk Moisturizing Creme
(10) Sealed w/ Jojoba oil
***Blow dried hair 50% dry on med heat and flat ironed***

Please help!!! Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated as I am still fairly new to this. My hair is currently shoulder length mostly except for the front of my head where the most breakage is occurring.  Also, I do not apply oil to my scalp.
DarkBrown View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 12:35pm
thanks for sharing
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 73>