Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hair Bleaching and Pre-lightening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
*Star* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Star* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:48pm
Hell. I want to lighten my bohyme brazillian wave. The current color is 4. I want an Ombre color with the 4 going into a blonde 27ish color but not brassy. I've seen people do this successfully but I'm scared I'll lose the curl. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 9:59pm
I had to look up what you meant by hair color 4 and 27. Hair color 4 is about a level 4 medium brown and 27 is a level 7 medium gold blonde. That's about a 3 level difference. I don't have much experience with coloring extensions but, seeing how it's a 3 level difference you could either just lighten using a liquid lightener and 20 volume developer then apply toner or just use a level 8 neutral blonde haircolor with 30 volume developer.
Crayon-chan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crayon-chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by RedSoxtober RedSoxtober wrote:

Experimenting with Colors

For the most part people are bleaching their hair just to achieve colors like green, blue,  red, yellow, pastels, neons, silver, stripes etc...and it can be overwhelming at times. The next section will be about how high to pre lighten your hair for certain colors. STAY TUNED!!!Cool
I'm having problems with posting photo references on here......Confused. Trying to get things set up properly. First color will be in the RED family since it's the easiest to achieve. HOLD TIGHT, FOLKS!!

I'm looking forward to this. My color is in the red family. Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Crayon-chan Crayon-chan wrote:

Experimenting with Colors

For the most part people are bleaching their hair just to achieve colors like green, blue,  red, yellow, pastels, neons, silver, stripes etc...and it can be overwhelming at times. The next section will be about how high to pre lighten your hair for certain colors. STAY TUNED!!!Cool
I'm having problems with posting photo references on here......Confused. Trying to get things set up properly. First color will be in the RED family since it's the easiest to achieve. HOLD TIGHT, FOLKS!!

I'm looking forward to this. My color is in the red family. Tongue
I'm just going to start a new thread for this that way people don't have to dig through 20 pages just to find information.
Halogen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halogen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 9:34am
Hello:

Great information here.  I have a couple of questions:

• Do you put the lightener into dry dirty hair, hair full of conditioner, dry clean hair, wet dirty hair, etc.?
  • Could you maybe do a post where you put all your advice (where you list the steps) into one message?  I think that the info. that I need is on page1 and page8, but I'm not sure if I had missed something. 

Also, I found this free google book on African American/Black hair and coloring, but most of the info. that is useful I found on Black Hair Media:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Iy1MP8y9lasC&pg=PA131&lpg=PA131&dq=does+hair+developer+work+faster+on+african+american+hair?&source=bl&ots=r8ONbKXpun&sig=tpaVJMpiSpWSDawAgPHplYdhyl0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9jDaUJLpBIqLiAKT5oFA&ved=0CIUBEOgBMAc#v=onepage&q=does%20hair%20developer%20work%20faster%20on%20african%20american%20hair%3F&f=false

And here is a video of a hair stylist applying lightener and color in a series of steps:

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2942-applying-lightner-to-hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Halogen1 Halogen1 wrote:

Hello:

Great information here.  I have a couple of questions:

• Do you put the lightener into dry dirty hair, hair full of conditioner, dry clean hair, wet dirty hair, etc.?
  • Could you maybe do a post where you put all your advice (where you list the steps) into one message?  I think that the info. that I need is on page1 and page8, but I'm not sure if I had missed something. 

Also, I found this free google book on African American/Black hair and coloring, but most of the info. that is useful I found on Black Hair Media:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Iy1MP8y9lasC&pg=PA131&lpg=PA131&dq=does+hair+developer+work+faster+on+african+american+hair?&source=bl&ots=r8ONbKXpun&sig=tpaVJMpiSpWSDawAgPHplYdhyl0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9jDaUJLpBIqLiAKT5oFA&ved=0CIUBEOgBMAc#v=onepage&q=does%20hair%20developer%20work%20faster%20on%20african%20american%20hair%3F&f=false

And here is a video of a hair stylist applying lightener and color in a series of steps:

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2942-applying-lightner-to-hair

Q: Do you put the lightener into dry dirty hair, hair full of conditioner, dry clean hair, wet dirty hair, etc.?

A: It's best to lighten at least 3 days after washing your hair so that your sebum (scalp oils) will protect your scalp for the process. It's applied to dry hair but you can apply a little oil (olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil etc) on your scalp and ends beforehand.

I'll round up the steps and post them again on this thread. For some reason it messes up when I try to write long posts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 1:13am
THE BLEACHING/ PRE-LIGHTENING PROCESS (REPOST)
This is for anyone that doesn't feel like going through 15 pages to find the steps. This will be reposted again and possibly revised for product recommendations.

Here's some basic tools you'll need for bleaching and pre-lightening

WARNING: I am not a professional but have a almost 20 years of personal experience with bleaching and hair coloring.
-tint bowl and tint brush
-gloves (like medical gloves or salon gloves)
- a towel and washcloth that you won't mind getting messy
- a t-shirt that you won't mind getting messy
- hair lightener (powder, creme, liquid or oil it's up to you really)
- developer (comes in creme, liquid and lotion...I prefer creme or lotion to make a nice smooth mixture. It also comes in various strengths 10vol/3%, 20 vol/6%, 30 vol/9%, 40/12%.( I use 10-20 for pre-ligtening depending on what level hair color I want ) Read the instructions on the lightening packet before using developers some require a specific type and volume.
- shampoo, deep conditioner and reconstructor
- shower hose (it makes easier to rinse out hair color)
- two mirrors or a friend to help with parting and color application
NOTE: Before you do anything, make sure your hair is in good condition and do a porosity test!! This is the most important thing to check to ensure good color acheivement! Take a few strands of hair from your comb or brush for these tests. Next, move on to the strand test.

Porosity Test: Take 1 strand of clean dry hair and place it in a clear cup of water. If it floats, it's resistant. If it bobs in the water then it's somewhat porus and you'll need a protein filler prior to coloring. If it sinks, don't do any coloring until you get your hair in better condition or trim off the damaged parts. 
Strand Test: Take about 20-30 strands of hair from your comb or brush and arrange then so that the roots and ends are all matched up. If not, then...well your test results won't be accurate. Tape the strands to something like a piece of plastic shopping bag then take a tiny amount (a teaspoon works fine) of your hair lightener or color and mix with developer ( use something like the plastic part of a q-tip and a plastic bottle cap) according to whatever ratio the instructions say. Apply, then start your timer. Allow to process for 10 minutes, wipe away the mixture and hold the stand up to light. If this is not your desired shade, apply a little more mixture and process another 5 minutes. Continue to repeat until the desired shade has been reached or up to 45 minutes. Once you've determined the process time, write it down next to your strand test.
NOTE: For anyone trying to go 5 or more level lighter than their natural color or going from dark hair color to light, you WILL need to pre-lighten first.
.....I'll be back to post the next step.....
PROCESSING: So once you've applied the lightener or lifting haircolor, now comes the part where you wait for the 'magic' to happen.....I hate this part LOL. Depending on your scalp sensitivity, how many levels up (see hair lightening chart) , volume and type of lightener/haircolor/developer being used, a few things will most likely happen:
1. Hair and scalp will feel very warm especially at the roots.
Don't panic, this is part body heat and the the oxygen in the developer ("peroxide" = "per oxide") working its magic. However, if you feel like someone set your head on fire, feel free to do a thorough rinse with lukewarm water and conditon.
2. Some parts of your hair will be lighter than others.
Wherever you applied the lightener/ color first had more time to process...this is why you should either work at a decent pace or have a friend help out to keep from overprocessing. Be patient the color will even out unless you're trying to lift out a previous haircolor...more on that later.
3. Strong odor.
Somtimes it can be a little much. It's best to work in a well ventilated room. If your bathroom has a fan, turn it on or open your window a lil....or try to work in a room gets decent air circulation.
4. Product runs onto forehead, neck, ears.
Hopefully you've read the first page of this thread. It has a list of things you'll need. Definately have an old damp washcloth handy to wipe away any spills on your skin. If your skin gets irritated, use a lil cold cream (like Noxema) to help soothe.
5. Product dries out.
Another reason for doing the strand test. Placing a plastic cap on your hair after application will help solve that problem....unless the intructions say not to use a plastic cap.
NOTE: do not pile your hair onto the top of your head, just smooth hair back into a low ponytail, hold in place then put on plastic cap..the "tail" will rest in the back.
1. Make sure your hair is not overprecessed. Hair in this condition doesn't hold color well causing color to bleed and fade within a few shampoos.
2. Go easy on hair products like gels, hairsprays oils etc. since these tend to soak up haircolor and cause them to bleed out once shampooed.
3. Don't use clarifying and or dandruff shampoos. These also make colors bleed out.
4. Apply color to dry hair and use heat and a cap. Dry hair will soak up more color and heat helps open the cuticle allowing more color to get in. You can use a heating cap or a shower cap and a towel or scarf wrapped over it. I prefer the shower cap and towel method since it saves energy plus, you are free to move about. Hooray for multitasking!Clap
5. Wash with lukewarm water, rinse, condtion, rinse with cool water. Only use shampoo on your scalp; this way when you rinse the shampoo will run down the length of your hair cleansing the length and ends.
6. Be very careful about the quality of hairdye you purchase. Some local BSS tend to carry hairdye for way too long and some will turn yucky colors after its shelf life has expired (Manic Panic being #1 for this happening...this is one of a few reasons why I don't like this brand.)
7.Make sure you hair is saturated with dye. If you don't have enough to cover your hair, the color won't be as vivid or it could come out colors you'd find in a large box of Crayola crayons....especially with blue, aqua, turquoise,violet and purple shades. These tend to turn hair shades of grey, blue-green, slate and various grey-green shades. As for reds, you'll get pink, fuschia, orange, peach. Yellows will be off, golds will look orangey. Greens may be yellowish, spring green or just brassy.
8. Eventually you'll have to refresh your color.

Edited by RedSoxtober - Jan 02 2013 at 1:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 11:05am
bumping....spring's coming up soon and people will probably be goin lighter.
sista_libra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sista_libra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 11:10pm
I have tried on several occasions to dye my relaxed hair to jet black using a permanent black hair dye with a box kit. My hair right now is a number 2 in weaves and i hate it. For some reason my hair never gets as dark as I want it (Jet Black #1). I have even used the black-blue color by l'oreal and them (boxed permanent dye). Do u think that lighening my hair first then dying it black will help?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 4:47am
Originally posted by sista_libra sista_libra wrote:

I have tried on several occasions to dye my relaxed hair to jet black using a permanent black hair dye with a box kit. My hair right now is a number 2 in weaves and i hate it. For some reason my hair never gets as dark as I want it (Jet Black #1). I have even used the black-blue color by l'oreal and them (boxed permanent dye). Do u think that lighening my hair first then dying it black will help?

Lightening then dyeing relaxed hair isn't a good idea. Since your hair is relaxed and dyed, it's already double processed and bleaching on top of that will cause some severe damage/breakage. If your hair is already damaged from the relaxer, it could be why your hair won't hold the color. Try doing a hardcore protein treatment and then use a black semi permenant hair dye (aka a  rinse). Rinse don't require a developer which could work better in your case and you can use them after your next touch up. If you're seeking something more permenant, stay away from box dye kits and buy a tube of creme hair color along with a 10 volume creme developer at a good beauty supply store or SALLY's if possible.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic