Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hair  and Glucosamine - Dont sleep on it, im not
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedHair and Glucosamine - Dont sleep on it, im not

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair and Glucosamine - Dont sleep on it, im not
    Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 2:56pm
I've heard that this supplement, glucosamine,  is very similar to what our bodies use to produce new skin, nail and hair cells... 

Has anyone heard of taking glucosamine for hair growth?  I'm at work so if anyone can research this for me and see what they find out, let me know because I may have to go to GNC tonight.. Big%20smile

Edited by quietone - Sep 27 2007 at 9:50pm
Sponsored Links

baby42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 3:39pm
HI I YAHOO IT ITHOUGHT IT WAS MSM BUT IT SOME THING OTHER STUFF I THINK YOU SOULD LOOK AT IT CLOSERConfused I DIDNT LIKE WHAT I READ A BOUT IT? BUT CHECK IT OUT I ONLY TAKE MSM. PS THEY TELL YOU TO CHECK WITH YOUR DR AND NOT TO TAKE IF YOU ARE PEGO OR PLAN ON GETTING PEGO AND SOME MORE STUFF I AM CANT HAVE ANY MORE BABYS BUT I STAY AWAY FROM STUFF THAT  SCARE MELOL

Edited by baby42 - Sep 27 2007 at 3:42pm
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 8:01pm
I found some information...

Glucosamine is an aminosugar. It is made in the body from the simple carbohydrate glucose (sugar) and the amino acid glutamine. Although our bodies generally use glucose to produce energy, the aminosugars found in glucosamine are incorporated into the structure of body tissue. Glucosamine is involved in the formation of cartilage, nails, tendons, skin, eyes, bones, ligaments, and heart valves. It also plays a role in the mucous secretions of the digestive, respiratory, and urinary tracts.

I think I may have to give this a go.. one bottle won't hurt, if our body produces it to form nails and skin, it obviously needs it to produce hair.. 

Edited by quietone - Sep 27 2007 at 9:40pm
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 8:54pm
The more I research, the more I'm sure I am going to get atleast one bottle to compare to MSM.  I currently take 1000mg of MSM a day.

Glucosamine is an amino sugar that occurs naturally in the body. This one-molecule substance consists of glucose and a hydrogen and nitrogen amine. Amino sugars are different from other body sugars, as they form part of carbohydrates. Their function is also different as they are not a source of energy, but rather are included in body tissue structure. Therefore, glucosamine plays a role in forming and maintaining the body's tissuesófor example, constructing nails, skin, eyes, bones, ligaments, tendons, heart valves, discharging mucus from the respiratory system, digestive system, and urinary tract. Glucosamine helps blend sulfur into the cartilage. When people grow older, their bodies may lose the capacity to make enough glucosamine, so the cartilage in such weight-bearing joints as the hips, knees, and hands is destroyed. The remaining cartilage then hardens and forms bone spurs, causing pain, deformed joints, and limited joint movement.

Glucosamine is not readily available from any primary food source. Commercial preparations of glucosamine are derived from chitin, which is a substance found in the outer covering of such shellfish as lobster, crab, and shrimp, as well as in such animal connective tissues as the marrow of chicken bones. Commercially prepared glucosamine comes in three formats: glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride, and N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG).

General Use

Glucosamine works to stimulate joint function and repair. It is most effective in treating osteoarthritis (OA), the most prevalent type of arthritis. A number of studies over the last 20 years have shown that glucosamine is helpful in relieving arthritis symptoms. For example, a 1982 clinical study compared usage of the NSAID ibuprofen with glucosamine sulfate, for osteoarthritis of the knee. During the first two weeks, ibuprofen decreased pain faster, but by the fourth week the glucosamine group was well ahead in pain relief. The overall results showed 44% of the glucosamine group had pain relief compared to 15% for ibuprofen. A British study published in 2002 reported similar findings regarding the effectiveness of glucosamine in relieving pain associated with arthritis. A team of Japanese researchers has suggested that glucosamine relieves the pain of arthritis by suppressing the functions of neutrophils, which are white blood cells that contribute to the joint inflammation found in arthritis. Other researchers think that the sulfur content of glucosamine contributes to its healing properties.

Several studies have concluded that over-the-counter preparations of glucosamine sulfate are safe for long-term treatment of osteoarthritis. These are readily available in the dietary supplement sections of most pharmacies. Glucosamine preparations are sometimes classified as nutraceuticals, a term used to refer to foods or food ingredients that are thought to provide medical or health benefits.

Harvard Medical School recently conducted a somewhat unorthodox study in which patients scheduled for hip surgery were given ground chicken bone supplements. After two weeks of taking these supplements, their pain was reduced considerably.

Glucosamine supplements can also aid in treating sports injuries, bursitis, food and respiratory allergies, asthma, osteoporosis, tendinitis, vaginitis, some skin problems, and candidiasis.

Edited by quietone - Sep 27 2007 at 9:42pm
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 9:21pm

ISNT that Mucopolysaccharides the wonder ingredient in SURGE!!  hmmm..  and in EUROPE It is an APPROVED medical drug.. U.S. maybe slow..

glucosamine

An amino derivative of glucose occurring in many glycoproteins and mucopolysaccharides.

Use

A typical dosage of glucosamine salt is 1,500 mg per day. Glucosamine contains an amino group that is positively charged at physiological pH. The anion included in the salt may vary. Commonly sold forms of glucosamine are glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride. The amount of glucosamine present in 1500 mg of glucosamine salt will depend on which anion is present and whether additional salts are included in the manufacturer's calculation.[7] Glucosamine is often sold in combination with other supplements such as chondroitin sulfate and methylsulfonylmethane.

In the United States, glucosamine is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for medical use in humans. Since glucosamine is classified as a dietary supplement, evidence of safety and efficacy is not required as long as it is not advertised as a treatment for a medical condition.[8] Nevertheless, glucosamine is a popular alternative medicine used by consumers for the treatment of osteoarthritis. Glucosamine is also extensively used in veterinary medicine as an unregulated but widely accepted supplement.[9]

In Europe, glucosamine is approved as a medical drug and is sold in the form of glucosamine sulfate.

Safety

Clinical studies of glucosamine have consistently reported that glucosamine appears safe. Since glucosamine is usually derived from shellfish, those allergic to shellfish or who have kosher concerns may wish to avoid it. However, since glucosamine is derived from the shells of these animals while the allergen is within the flesh of the animals, it is probably safe even for those with shellfish allergy.

baby42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 10:00pm
WOW YOU SURE DID YOUR HOME WORK LOLLOOKS LIKE A GO FOR YOUThumbs%20Up KEEP EVERY BODY UP DATED HAPPY GROWING
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 10:42pm
Yeah,  I looked and actually GNC has a MSM and Glucosamine supplement  that  I will try.  You can also get glucosamine and chrondroitin supplement.

Edited by quietone - Sep 28 2007 at 7:15am
whosbotheringme View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 11:20pm
I take glucosamine and chondroitin because it is supposed to be good for joint health and pain.  The science community is still out on how effective it is for rheumatiod arthritis.  People with joint pain/arthritis swear it helps their pain.
TayTay View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2007 at 11:20pm
hmm im interested to see what happens with the hair part, i wanna try it now
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic