Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
rzjab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: growing hands
    Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 10:41am
I had a big discussion this morning with my sister about hair dressers, her friend,  who's hair is naturally long has been going to a "healthy hair lady",
and my sister is convinced that this lady has made her hair grow even longer.

my sister is convinced by going to this lady her hair will grow as well.
My sister is the type of person who doesn't wrap her hair up, doesn't moisurize ect.  Does not know how to care for her hair period.

Now,  I have had my share of hair dressers.  I believe that you have to know how to care for your own hair outside of the salon to maintain healthy hair.  The so cold "healthy hair stylist",  Usually uses low maipulation styling ie:  roller sets and deep conditions, but if you come home and can't maintain it your hair can possible become damaged again.

I explained to my sister you have to become educated about your hair yourself.  Hairdressers are experienced, but they don't know everything.

What do you ladies think about the so called "growing hands" of hair stylist.  Also do you ladies believe that they can make your hair grow and become healthier at the salon more so than what you do at home?

Just curious, because I can't afford a stylist every 2 weeks so I would like too not believe that only stylist can promote healthier hair.  Ouch 
Sponsored Links

GN1G View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 10:45am
I believe your sister.  This may sound crazy but if I go into a salon with healthy long plants I try to find the person who tends to the plants.  They have growing hands.   Not everybody can grow plants and not everybody can grow hair.  Never go to the stylist with short hair and all of her clients have short hair.  I always try to find one that specalized in healthy hair  and growing hair.  I pass on the station with a gallon of brown gel and pump it up spray. 

I've also heard people say that men playing in your hair will make it grow I chalk that up to scalp massage.

Kimberley85 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 11:00am

I 100% agree that people can have 'growing hands' my aunt is one of those people.

If you go to a hairdresser who is known to have growing hand, I'm sure you may see a difference in your hair... Confused

IMO, It does not matter if the clients hair is short, broken and damaged - the point of them visiting the hairdresser in the first place is to make their hair healtheir again. 

Ms.Joi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 11:04am
I believe that if your sister continues to go to this woman her hair will grow. I say this because my bestfriend, who is now a stylist, used to take care of my hair. I believe that she has "growing hands". I didn't take care of my hair at all. She was doing my hair every two weeks and my hair was long and healthy.
There are several woman who go to the salon and get their hair done and don't take care of it at home, but it is healthy. I believe that if you learn to take care of your own hair and continue to go to the stylist that just makes it even healthier.
Jade Feria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 11:44am
ITA to the growing hands!!!!

Not to be full of myself or anything, but I've been told by a few people that their hair has grown faster after I braided/styled it, as opposed to other people doing it.

I have a relative who has "destructive hands"...she styled my hair when I was real young and my baby sister's hair recently and in both cases our hair started to break.

I believe it really has alot to do with the person's spirit...If you have a caring spirit, everything you touch will flourish and grow. On the other hand, if you have a destructive spirit or darkness in your heart, you destroy everything you touch.

GN1G - I never thought about the plant thing. It makes sense though!
whatwhat12 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by rzjab rzjab wrote:

I had a big discussion this morning with my sister about hair dressers, her friend,  who's hair is naturally long has been going to a "healthy hair lady",
and my sister is convinced that this lady has made her hair grow even longer.

my sister is convinced by going to this lady her hair will grow as well.
My sister is the type of person who doesn't wrap her hair up, doesn't moisurize ect.  Does not know how to care for her hair period.

Now,  I have had my share of hair dressers.  I believe that you have to know how to care for your own hair outside of the salon to maintain healthy hair.  The so cold "healthy hair stylist",  Usually uses low maipulation styling ie:  roller sets and deep conditions, but if you come home and can't maintain it your hair can possible become damaged again.

I explained to my sister you have to become educated about your hair yourself.  Hairdressers are experienced, but they don't know everything.

What do you ladies think about the so called "growing hands" of hair stylist.  Also do you ladies believe that they can make your hair grow and become healthier at the salon more so than what you do at home?

Just curious, because I can't afford a stylist every 2 weeks so I would like too not believe that only stylist can promote healthier hair.  Ouch 

I think growing hands is crap.
I think what it really boils down to is knowledge of hair, and actually caring about hair-puting the health of hair first, and the style second. If every stylist had correct knowledge of hair AND really cared about your hair, then i beleive more people would have long hair. But instead alot of them  just give you styles, and they either dont know any better, or dont care to tell you because they may loose buisness or whatever.  

You dont need a stylist at all to grow your hair- i think every black women should know as much as possible about their hair, and be able to do it themselves, and if they have the money, and find a stylist who cares about hair then thats good for them.     

The stylist may be helping your sisters hair to grow becasue of the way she is treating it, but your sister should learn about her hair herself, and not depend on a stylist to grow it.-she should very well be wrapping it and moisturizing it.

Your sister should really learn some things, because that thinking right their, is what makes millions of black women waste all their money trusting in stylist, only to loose their hair. Know-one cares about your hair as much as you do

tarah86 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 1:25pm
I agree with whatwhat12 when she said "No-one cares about your hair as much as you do." The only reason I go to my stylist is to get a perm and trim when I need it( I think I'mma try to learn how to trim myself)." I think it you go to a good stylist every two weeks yea they can help your hait grow cuz they ar basically doing stuff that you could do on your own hair. I think your sister should try to grow her hair herself cuz you never know if the stylist might move or sister might fall out with her. 

Growing your hair yourself is tedious but at least you are the one who gets the credit.
candies View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 1:27pm

I do believe there as such things as "growing hands".  There are some stylists who hands are featherlight and their techniques etc. allow your hair to grow.  Then there are those stylists that even if they use the same techniques as the stylists whose clients have long hair their clients hair remain broken etc.

candies View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Jade Feria Jade Feria wrote:

I have a relative who has "destructive hands"...she styled my hair when I was real young and my baby sister's hair recently and in both cases our hair started to break.

My mother has growing hands but my grandmother and aunt don't.  I don't think it's about a person's spirit etc. I think that it's just something some people have and some people just don't.

The stylist I first went by to do my hair had growing hands.  I used to go by her every 2 months to get a relaxer done only and every two weeks I used to wash and deep condition my hair myself.  I hardly used to grease my hair and never wrapped (never knew wrapping existed!) and wore my hair either in a ponytail or half up half down everyday, yet my hair flourished and grew to be in between APL & BSL.

eta: I still don't wrapWinkLOL

Edited by candies - Jan 14 2007 at 1:34pm
miss_westindies View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2007 at 8:03pm

I believe in this theory, and I like the comparision to a plant; some people no matter how often they water a plant will never be able to make it grow compared to someone else.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic