Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedGroomed Natural Look ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
ebshair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Groomed Natural Look ?
    Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 7:02am

I'm a local news reporter in a small town without many African Americans. My hair is natural, as in not relaxed.  The length is just past my shoulders when straight and very thick. I feel guilty because I'm the only ethnic reporter in the state and even a few neighboring states (I'm in the Midwest). I want to wear my hair natural, but my advisors, both black and white, say natural styles are distracting. I disagree.  However, when I have worn my hair natural, as in not straightened, it's the talk of the office. I just want to show the young girls in the community that Black is beautiful naturally, I feel it's my responsibility. Any suggestions on how to look polished and natural?

Sponsored Links

mackmeri122 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 2:55pm
two strand twist? twist out? Braid out?
Dehinds View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2007 at 9:57pm
Or comb coils, bantu knots

http://www.motowngirl.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=3

Edited by Myriad - Oct 09 2007 at 9:59pm
suburbanbushbab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2007 at 10:04pm

Your look is critical to your career. It may be worth traveling out of your area to find a good stylist/haircutter.  _popupControl();

RunninRabbit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 5:33pm
they sound sooo stupid. i bet wearing your hair natural would make u stand out more and set u apart from all those other boring news anchors. but i dont envy u though cause its your career at stake. i admire what you are trying to do. if children see us doing it they can learn its beautiful and hopefully wont have to go through everything we did with our hair.
but in response to the OT i would say two strand twists in a bun probably
misscheeca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 7:38am
I agree with Running Rabbit.

I like how you are looking outward to the big picture and how you can positively affect others. Because you are on tv, you have the ability to show younger and older woman that we don't have to use a chemical. When I read your story, i thought about 2 actresses in particular who stood their ground and wore their nappy hair on tv. The lady who was on "In Living Color" and moved onto a few other sitcoms and the mom from "Parenthood".

When I was younger I didn't understand what they did to their hair but I knew they looked different and beautiful and their styles were creative. Sadly it took me years later to see they did NOTHING to achieve that texture and healthy looking hair. Well they had some creative stylist but you know what I mean.... anyway I digress........

I would say you can maintain your naturalness by learning a few styles. There are many women with fotki's to show how they achieved 'polished' looks.

I applaud you and your efforts!!!
Micheli07 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2007 at 12:54pm
I live in the Midwest, and we could stand to have some more natural looks around here!  Don't be afraid to stick to your guns.  If these dumb people think your hair is distracting, tell them to prove it.  Is it part of your contract how you will wear your hair?  Consult a lawyer!  This is 2007, not 1947.  And the blacks who agree with the whites about your hair should be b**ched slapped back to the plantation!

Do your research on tv journalist who have worn (and continue to wear) their hair natural.  Let them be your inspiration.  Valerie Coleman, formerly of San Francisco, was rocking a TWA back in the 80's and looking sharper than sharp! 

At this point in time, hair discrimination is tantamount to racial discrimination and I would seriously look into the matter on a legal end. 

Keep us posted.  I"ll write a letter to the station if you want.
Peace!

Edited by Micheli07 - Nov 05 2007 at 1:09pm
qtypie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2007 at 8:42pm
great websiteSmile
cookingirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 5:14pm
Do u put any products in your hair when you wear it natural?  Do you have any curl to your hair?  If you have any you could try using some taming products to add a bit more polish to the hair.  My favorites are Beyond the Zone Noodle head and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Glaze.  Also I try to keep mine nicely trimmed.  I rarely straighten my hair, I've been an Afro girl since the 70's.  
Celie View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2007 at 10:55pm
I really applaud you for your thinking on this matter. I suggest that you contact a good image consultant to discuss such a critical professional decision.  Another source is Carole Simpson formerly of ABC News at Emerson College in Boston who is a faculty member and I am sure would be pleased to give you her input. She faced this very issue many times in the 60s as a national desk reporter. Her email address is:  Carole_Simpson@emerson.edu

Do not, in any case, disbelieve what you are being told. Too many white people do not like to be reminded that the people who are formulating their world view is Black. Sad, but true. Just think for a moment why Black invisibility is rewarded in this country.  For too many, natural equals I am not going to kiss your A^^.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic