FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Gro Protect and Lace Wig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Lace Lover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lace Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gro Protect and Lace Wig
    Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 10:11am

Those of you who use gro protect with their lace wigs, how do you do it?  I've searched on the internet to find an application and have seen anywhere from putting it on just at the perimeter without any adhesive, to doing the entire head and putting the wig on top of the wet gro protect.  I haven't seen any application that looks really good on you tube yet.  It looks like you can see the shiny stuff around the perimeter on the ones on you tube.

If you use it just behind your perimeter, do you put it on, let it dry then apply tape/adhesive over it or do you just put it on your hair and put your adhesive in front of it?  I'm confused.  Can someone share their application steps please.  Also, if you have it on the perimeter, when you remove your wig does it just wash off with warm water and the adhesive/tape stick to the wig when it falls off.

I did search prior postings on this and still do not have a clear understanding of the process yet.
Sponsored Links

Lwhite1960 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwhite1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 10:21am
Personally, I use it as a skin protectant. I apply it on my perimeter (including some on my edges) and I dry it with my blow dryer. It will still look wet. Then I apply my adhesive of choice and apply my unit. Because I apply the Gro-protect around my perimeter, when I take it off on Friday night; I brush the hair with into a ponytail, secure it with a clip or hair holder, and get into the shower. that's right it only takes water to remove the unit and the adhesive. I use a papertowel or microfiber cloth to remove the residue from my skin. I use a microfiber cloth or paper  towel to rub/pick the residue off the unit.

As a result my edges are filling back in and I do NOT have to use anymore Topsoil, C-22 or any other harsh chemical to remove my unit. HTH
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 10:26am
I don't know how others use gro protect....and I thought I was brainy with my usage of it with my wigs.  NOTHING IS REALLY NEW under the sun.    LOL    This is what I do.

First, I leave out the section of my hair that I want to show.  I wear lace fronts but I leave out at least an inch in the front of my hair to make it look more natural.

I just mold down my hair, with a little spritz, let it dry, then I add the gro protect, let it dry.
THen I just put on my wig when I'm ready with bobby pins.

What the gro protect does it....for ME....is...one I don't wear wig caps because my back was starting to thin from the rubbing.  Even the daily use of pinning int he bobby pins can take a toll on your hair if your hair is thin by nature as mine.

At first I used to braid my hair but the "kitchen" area just would not stop thinning slowly.  SO I took a break and started wearing tracks with gro protect.  Then I Realized this can work with wigs also.

When my hair is molded with the gro protect, the hair is HARD as a rock, so when I attach the wig with hair pins...NONE of my hair comes out with the comes.  I think this works so much better and you really don't have to MESS with your hair at all.  No hair has come out on my bobby pins at all.  IT was not a lot of hair before but I would seem to loose some hair because my hair was not gelled down.

I love it.  To me, it makes it easier, no braiding of my hair, my hair seems to be growing more because I'm not touching it at all.  I will always use gro protect.  I also use it when I decide to put in bonded tracks and it does WORK.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Mar 12 2011 at 10:32am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lace Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 10:56am
Hey LW, how you doin'???   Thanks for responding.  You just made me a very happy person.  If I can get away from the harsh removers my skin will thank you.  My skin is so sensative I have practically stopped using glue/tape altogether.  The Tootsie Mom's method has been a life saver.  I would love to be able to do a full app again and this just might do it.  Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lace Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 11:02am
Sunshine3321511,

Thanks for your response.  My nape is doing the same thing yours was doing.  The wig cap and bobby pins are doing a job on me.  I used to shave my head but had to let it grow back in order to do Tootsie's method so I could attach clips in the back (my front is shot because of years of weaves), this will definitely help with the clips and tightness of the wig cap in the back.
I've got my gro protect on order, I can do it next week and finally know what I'm doing.

Thanks for responding so quickly.
TheSecret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSecret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 11:34am
This is from a post I did back in August of how I used it -

I have the gro protect in clear.  I sprayed on top of the gro protect with Jerome Russell temporary color in brown/blonde (way too light but I am working it).  I let it get semi dry put my unit on, tied my hair down with a scarf and went to bed.  Woke up this morning and this sucker is on!   I am very much pleased.  I did use some spirit gum on the sides below the temples down to in front of my ears but across the front I did not need anything because the lace is laying flat and blending right in with my skin .  And NO GRIDSClapClapClap

The cons are if you use too much and you do not let it get tacky enough it will seep through the lace and clump the hair up.  That is an easy fix though.  I just sprayed the clumped hair with water and combed the clump of gro protect out.  Also like ScorpioLuv noted the scalp will not look natural with the colored gro protect.  You could still use it and color it with Jerome Russell or something similar.  If you use clear it would only look natural with the hair underneath the unit being blonde or light to medium brown hair .
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 12:26pm
As a sidenote, when you mold your hair with Gro protect you can NOT secure your wig with the combs that are attached to the wig.....because your hair is hard as a rock and the combs will not go through your hair. 

I attach the wigs completely with bobby pins.  Bobby pins come in two sizes, a shorter size and a longer bobby pin size that is around 2 1/2 inches. 

THe method I use is two long bobby pins in the back, two long bobby pins on the side by my ears and two in the front. 

IF you want to feel an added security .....then I liftt up the wefts and you can add two small bobby pins to the weft and tuck into my hair.  This is done in the back of your head or the middle.  When added to the weft you dont see anything and it is tucked down into your molded hair.

I feel very secure with this method. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lace Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by TheSecret TheSecret wrote:

This is from a post I did back in August of how I used it -

I have the gro protect in clear.  I sprayed on top of the gro protect with Jerome Russell temporary color in brown/blonde (way too light but I am working it).  I let it get semi dry put my unit on, tied my hair down with a scarf and went to bed.  Woke up this morning and this sucker is on!   I am very much pleased.  I did use some spirit gum on the sides below the temples down to in front of my ears but across the front I did not need anything because the lace is laying flat and blending right in with my skin .  And NO GRIDSClapClapClap

The cons are if you use too much and you do not let it get tacky enough it will seep through the lace and clump the hair up.  That is an easy fix though.  I just sprayed the clumped hair with water and combed the clump of gro protect out.  Also like ScorpioLuv noted the scalp will not look natural with the colored gro protect.  You could still use it and color it with Jerome Russell or something similar.  If you use clear it would only look natural with the hair underneath the unit being blonde or light to medium brown hair .
Thanks, TheSecret.  I've go clear on order now and I do have the Jerome Russell spray.

I've got some questions for you. 

Do you dry it with a blow dryer or let it dry by itself?

How tacky is tacky?  What I mean is do you test it like we do glue with a comb or toothpick by touching it and if it "grabs" the comb it is ready?

When you remove, do you do like Lwhite1960 and just let water run over it in the shower and it just comes loose?

Boy if this thing works this could be the answer to my sensative skin.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lace Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

As a sidenote, when you mold your hair with Gro protect you can NOT secure your wig with the combs that are attached to the wig.....because your hair is hard as a rock and the combs will not go through your hair. 

I attach the wigs completely with bobby pins.  Bobby pins come in two sizes, a shorter size and a longer bobby pin size that is around 2 1/2 inches. 

THe method I use is two long bobby pins in the back, two long bobby pins on the side by my ears and two in the front. 

IF you want to feel an added security .....then I liftt up the wefts and you can add two small bobby pins to the weft and tuck into my hair.  This is done in the back of your head or the middle.  When added to the weft you dont see anything and it is tucked down into your molded hair.

I feel very secure with this method. 
Taking notes, Sunshine, thanks.
pg12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2011 at 1:57pm
i plan apply salon pro 30 second weave  wonder wrap (like gro protect only less expensive) like l white ..now they have quite a few youtube videos on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjT_khhT2qA&feature=related  and a review of both products http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbGYCr8WH8A&feature=related  and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTyh_HN97c&feature=related

Edited by pg12345 - Mar 12 2011 at 2:03pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>