Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Grammar/Spelling Rant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 17 Votes, Average 2.18  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 1:05am
 have names been named yet?
about all the ppl who say they dont care...but care?

the ppl who went to everest?

anything?

Sponsored Links

MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 3:56am
What kills me the most is "then" vs "than". I see it everywhere and IRL! It irks the hell out of me. It's like the people don't realize there's a difference.
Another one that used to kill me was "different THAN". 
It bugged me so much that I had to google it and it's supposedly correct English mostly used by Americans. I don't get it. I'm American and it never sounds right to me. "different FROM" sounds MUCH better and accurate. It said that "different FROM" is typically used in British nations. I have Brit. influences but I don't think it affects my English much since I was born and raised in the States. Confused
How is something "different THAN" something? ConfusedConfused
Is there a scale of "differences" where they're rated? ConfusedConfusedConfused
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 5:11am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

black folks aint sh*t thread # 5492

This
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

College is available to all, and traditionally those on the lower
economic scale are afforded more opportunities to achieve a subsidized
education than their upper middle class or "wealthy" counterparts...
While I FULLY agree the Obama comparison was BS, I have to disagree on the above point.

Begging your pardon, but no. No, college isn't "available to all" unless your idea of "available" is the fact that it exists and you could possibly walk to its physical location. Even then, you may need some ID. Not only has the cost of tuition inflated faster than worker's wages can keep up, but the idea of "college is available to all" keeps it that way. Universities tossing a few "Finding Forester"s at the news =\= "afforded more opportunities".

Please stop.
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote katakana89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 8:40am

All I can say is there are more than one type of American English, and Black English/African American Vernacular English/Black Vernacular English, whatever linguists up top are calling it now, is the most stigmatized, and I believe will always be the most stigmatized dialect of the Englishes. This kind of thread proves it (the OP in particular seemed to be talking more about text speech, I'm not sure).

Also, Rosetta Stone doesn’t make one fluent in a language. It’s a nice start, though.

Edited by katakana89 - Mar 05 2013 at 8:41am
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote katakana89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 8:42am
That's what I was thinking.

Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Understandable. The incorrect usage of affect vs effect has irritated me lately.

Communication and language are not set in stone; they evolve with the people and the times. For instance, some could argue that it's not accepted to start sentences with conjunctions like "but" as you have done above. However, many respected literary icons (Austen, DuBois, Emerson) and their contemporaries have embraced the practice.

Having said that, your problem seems more indicative of a shorthand/texting culture than it is of a given educational system.

You might perhaps offer posters some linguistic/grammatical guidance via PM or skip the posts that you find offensive.

Eta: Of ALL things, correction of a spelling mistake… SMH.   
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:19am
Originally posted by katakana89 katakana89 wrote:

Also, Rosetta Stone doesn’t make one fluent in a language. It’s a nice start, though.

Cry

LOL

binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote binky622 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

black folks aint sh*t thread # 5492

This

Clap
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (21) Thanks(21)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:43am
I'm kinda at a loss of words, op. You came off very arrogant and rude.  I'm not even sure why this deserved a thread. 
sLeepy x0x View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (22) Thanks(22)   Quote sLeepy x0x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2013 at 9:46am
An overly critical person could argue that there are a few mistakes in the OP.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
  Share Topic