Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
melly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: grad school
    Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 4:09pm

is it better to wait a few years before going to grad school or going straight after graduating from undergrad  and for those of you in grad school do u enjoy it more or less than when u were in undergrad and what  advice would you give to people who are going to grad school

Edited by melly - Mar 06 2008 at 4:13pm
Sponsored Links

bsquared86 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 4:11pm
well, i'm getting ready to graduate from undergrad and i've decided to take anywhere from a year to a semester off before starting grad school.

I think it depends alot on your field too. I know some business majors need a year or so of work experience before entering an MBA program. As an english major I'm pretty much free to do what I please, you know?
datbeyoncehair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 5:15pm
I'M CURRENTLY IN GRAD SCHOOL AND I WAITED TWO YEARS BEFORE I APPLIED....I WISH I WOULD HAVE WENT STRAIGHT, BUT I NEEDED THE BREAK AND THE MONEY OF A FULL TIME JOB...I'M A PSYCHOLOGY MAJOR AND GRAD SCHOOL IS A LOT OF WORK...NOTHING LIKE UNDERGRAD IMO...THE CLASSES ARE MUCH SMALLER (I GO TO A HUGE UNIVERSITY SO I'M USED TO HUGE CLASSES).
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 5:27pm
From what I heard, it depends.  What do you think you'll go to grad school for?

All the PhDs I spoke with reccommend taking some time between undergrad and entering a PhD program.   Most folks do not go into an MBA program directly out of undergrad as admissions committees look for candidates with practical work experience.  Some law students say that took time off in between to get practical experience at a law firm.

I would suggest spending some time in the "real world" to figure out why you want/need to get an advanced degree.  When in undergrad, I thought I would go get an MFA or get an MA in comparative literature, but now I'm going to wait a few years and get an MBA.  Practical life/work experience changed my course entirely, and I'm happy I waited. 

Hope my $.02 helped.

melly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by MissCassC MissCassC wrote:

From what I heard, it depends.  What do you think you'll go to grad school for?

All the PhDs I spoke with reccommend taking some time between undergrad and entering a PhD program.   Most folks do not go into an MBA program directly out of undergrad as admissions committees look for candidates with practical work experience.  Some law students say that took time off in between to get practical experience at a law firm.

I would suggest spending some time in the "real world" to figure out why you want/need to get an advanced degree.  When in undergrad, I thought I would go get an MFA or get an MA in comparative literature, but now I'm going to wait a few years and get an MBA.  Practical life/work experience changed my course entirely, and I'm happy I waited. 

Hope my $.02 helped.

yes im thinking about doing that i read so many blogs about people  going to grad school and they said its very hard work  and how its 90%research/independant study and 10% lecture  and that there are no term papers exams just study and research and some people wished that they took the time off before going to grad school. im thinking about getting an mba because its a very useful degree im not gonna major in the smae thing that im majoring now in undergrad

Edited by melly - Mar 06 2008 at 6:27pm
Nichole23 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 6:45pm
Im a grad student and I hope to be a Mental Health Counselor.  Also working with social programs, urban affairs. 

I came to grad school directly after finishing up my undergrad work and it has been a good fit for me.  I can say as I look over my classes people made a variety of decisions.  Approx 60% are directly out of undergrad or with the first 3 years and the other 40% took a sizeable break inbetween.  I do think you should get out there and work first to know if its what you really want to do.  I however, had relevant experience to my program and infact made quite a switch to persue this after working in several agencies.  I also realize that there is some benefit to going right after graduation because you're still in that mindset, so its not a big adjustment.  At the end of the day, it depends on who you ask and what's best for you.  My biggest fear about putting it off a few years is that I would never come back.  If and when I did, I would have a family, children and it would take much longer.

I think my grad work is much easier than my undergrad work because its so hands on.  I experience what Im studying everyday and the study is in the doing.  Im also much more invested and interested in the material than I was in undergrad.  The professors aren't grading you to give you grade (or ensure you doing school work -ie busy work) but to teach you what you actually need to know when you are independant and in the field.  I feel much closer to my classmates because we spend so much time together both in class and out of class.  There is ALOT of group work.  Most people in the program work in community or mental health agencies and if not it is encouraged so that you get the most experience when you graduate.   My classes range in size from 8 to 30 people.

Edited by Nichole23 - Mar 06 2008 at 6:46pm
CocoaSmiles08 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 6:58pm
Good advice, I'm at that crossroads too, so this helps!
rr11l07 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 10:07pm
Honestly, I feel like it is better to go straight into grad school. I interned while I was in undergrad and had a job in my field as well so I got that bit of experience while in school. I graduated and went straight into grad school. I actually honestly dont know anyone in Law school that took time off, everyone I know went straight in. A lot of people I know also did programs 5 or 6 years where they graduate with an Advanced degree. I guess it can depend on a person but that was the right decision for me. 
Beau-T-noire View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 11:15pm
I just graduated with my MBA in December and I think it was a great idea for me to do it right after my B.S. That way you don't have kids and family life , responsibilities getting in you way.
I personally think that it's harder for people to get back into the routine of school deadlines and late night studying if they've spent so many years without doing it.
However it is true that most people take breaks before getting back to school, I had classmates in their late 20's to their late 40's.
Nevertheless, if you have the finances to cover it, I say go for it! It requires a lot of work, but I'm pretty sure if you dedicate yourself you can do it. Good luck on your decision.
honeyb1181 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Nichole23 Nichole23 wrote:

Im a grad student and I hope to be a Mental Health Counselor.  Also working with social programs, urban affairs. 

I came to grad school directly after finishing up my undergrad work and it has been a good fit for me.  I can say as I look over my classes people made a variety of decisions.  Approx 60% are directly out of undergrad or with the first 3 years and the other 40% took a sizeable break inbetween.  I do think you should get out there and work first to know if its what you really want to do.  I however, had relevant experience to my program and infact made quite a switch to persue this after working in several agencies.  I also realize that there is some benefit to going right after graduation because you're still in that mindset, so its not a big adjustment.  At the end of the day, it depends on who you ask and what's best for you.  My biggest fear about putting it off a few years is that I would never come back.  If and when I did, I would have a family, children and it would take much longer.

I think my grad work is much easier than my undergrad work because its so hands on.  I experience what Im studying everyday and the study is in the doing.  Im also much more invested and interested in the material than I was in undergrad.  The professors aren't grading you to give you grade (or ensure you doing school work -ie busy work) but to teach you what you actually need to know when you are independant and in the field.  I feel much closer to my classmates because we spend so much time together both in class and out of class.  There is ALOT of group work.  Most people in the program work in community or mental health agencies and if not it is encouraged so that you get the most experience when you graduate.   My classes range in size from 8 to 30 people.

That's the same thing I want to go for!! I just graduated in Therapeutic Recreation and did my intern at a mental hospital. The crazy thing is I really want to get my Cosmetology Liscense also!! I know I prolly sound confused as hell but I really like both of these things and I figure if I get tired of doing one I always have the other to fall back on.  Sooo...I'm gonna enroll in Aveda in May then grad school...

Edited by honeyb1181 - Mar 06 2008 at 11:57pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic