Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Government Shutdown - Day 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 3:12pm
I hope not easter.  I think there is still a lot of confusion within the different departments.  The FAA inspectors def got furloughed.  They are very upset about passenger safety right now.  kfoxx not getting on nobody airplane for the next few weeks. No sir!

AmiliaCabralHug
Sponsored Links

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I've been having a crappy day, but that cat lying in the money thoLOLLOLLOL

I cracked up blaque.  That was actually in the article too.  I was like damn even the news websites got gifs nowLOL

He's cute!

But those mutha*&%^$#@Eas betta get to work.  We pay their damn salary and they're doing America wrong as hellAngry
.hott.pink. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote .hott.pink. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 3:51pm
That baby sloth though! lmfao.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by EasterBell EasterBell wrote:

WIC is not shut down I don't think..
I heard WIC will remain open but on a week to week basis
Chyna_Li View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chyna_Li Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

They hate their president more than they love their country

exactly.  I was saying the same thing yesterday.  It isn't even Reps vs Dems.  Its Reps vs Obama.

YESSSSS
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 4:56pm
At least we can get unemployment benefits.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 5:32pm
Okay Natural that's good because I was kind of shocked when I heard there was no back pay cause I would have been sitting right in the house Chamber this morning like "what's up?"
AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 5:53pm
Can anyone explain how a government can be shut down?

Apologies i'm not familiar with US politics.
Addicted19034 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Addicted19034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 5:54pm
They need to shut their paychecks down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 6:23pm

In U.S. politics, a government shutdown is a situation in which Congress fails to pass authorization for sufficient funds for government operations. Typically, the government stops providing all but "essential" services at first, but since Congress must authorize all expenditures, there is no law protecting any government service from stoppage. Federal services that may continue for a time after a shutdown include the National Weather Service and its parent agencies, medical services at federal facilities, armed forces, air traffic management, and corrections (the penal system).

During the Ford and Carter administrations, there were 6 partial government shutdowns that affected only the departments of Labor and Health, Education, and Welfare. These partial shutdowns lasted from 8 to 18 days and the primary issue of dispute was federal funding for abortion. During the Reagan administration, there were 8 full government shutdowns that lasted only 1 to 3 days apiece, primarily over the issue of the United States budget deficit. There was a similar 4-day shutdown during the first Bush administration.

During the Clinton administration, after conservatives made massive congressional gains in the 1994 Republican Revolution, there were two full government shutdowns lasting 5 and 21 days apiece, the second of which was by far the longest of its kind to that date. The primary issue was again the United States budget deficit.

The United States federal government shutdown of 2013 is ongoing, having begun on 1 October 2013. The primary issue of dispute between the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and the Democrat-controlled Senate (the latter supported by President Obama) is the Republicans' desire to delay implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

Mechanism of a shutdown

Under the separation of powers created by the United States Constitution, both the Senate and House of Representatives must approve an agreed budget, which then goes to the President of the United States for signature. If the President vetoes the budget, it goes back to Congress, where the veto can be overridden by a two-thirds vote. Government shutdowns tend to occur when the President and one or both of the chambers of Congress are unable to resolve disagreements over budget allocations before the existing budget cycle ends.[citation needed]

Shutdowns of the type experienced by the United States are nearly impossible in other democracies. Under the parliamentary system used in most European nations, the executive and legislative branch are not separate, with the parliament designating all executive officials, typically called "ministers". In non-parliamentary democracies, a strong executive branch typically has the authority to keep the government functioning even without an approved budget. This was the case in the United States up until 1980, when the administration of Jimmy Carter interpreted the 1884 Antideficiency Act to limit the power of federal agencies in the lack of congressional approval.[1]

Effects

Letter from President Obama to US Government employees affected by the shutdown in 2013

A federal government shutdown causes a large number of civilian federal employees to be furloughed. Military personnel and essential employees are not furloughed, but may not be paid as scheduled.[2][3]

The exact details of which government functions would stop during a shutdown is determined by the Office of Management and Budget.[4] However, some specific aspects have applied to all shutdowns in the past. Among these is the closure of national parks and passport offices.[5] "Emergency personnel" continue to be employed, including the military, federal law enforcement agents, doctors and nurses working in federal hospitals, and air traffic controllers.[4] Members of Congress continue to be paid, because their pay cannot be altered except by direct law.[6] Mail delivery is not affected as it is self-funded.[7]

Shutdowns in the past have also affected the Washington, D.C., municipal government, putting a stop to schools and to utilities such as garbage collection.[8]

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style