Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Google:Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Google:Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:11pm
I have a question (that I also will be asking my friend that is a Google mgmt level engineer that I will see next week):

*Is this free coding lesson advantageous to person that is not in the tech field?

*If the average person that is not in tech completes the free coding lessons, then what is the next step? Will they likely be able to create apps that they can potentially sell on iTunes? Will the lessons make job opportunities open up for them? Or is this program pretty much for people that are already in the STEM field?

Please advise.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I have a question (that I also will be asking my friend that is a Google mgmt level engineer that I will see next week):

*Is this free coding lesson advantageous to person that is not in the tech field?

*If the average person that is not in tech completes the free coding lessons, then what is the next step? Will they likely be able to create apps that they can potentially sell on iTunes? Will the lessons make job opportunities open up for them? Or is this program pretty much for people that are already in the STEM field?

Please advise.

Thanks!

this is what I would like to know as well... 

I would want to know if someone start their own business doing this..
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:49pm
awwwsssome

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:49pm
ETA: I highly doubt these are for people already in the stem field. They seem to be for people who want to be web developers (so like websites, phone apps, and computer apps)

Copied from reddit:

I would personally recommend (if you are a beginner) to begin learning a single language on Treehouse (as it is focused on beginner learning) and then sign up at Code School and go through the courses on the same language. Code School is focused on the Intermediate-Experienced developer.

After you learn one language I would suggest doing the Git Courses at CS.

If you are just getting started I'd recommend learning HTML/CSS first as it is the most basic web language. Then Javascript/JQUERY, which is used on something like 97% of all websites. Then you can learn Ruby which is more advanced, but will get you a significantly higher paying job and you'll learn to do some pretty awesome things.

I've also read many success stories of individuals who have started with Codecademy and treehouse, then went on to use Code School. Ultimately if you want to be successful you need to practice continually and learn from many different sources.

|* I am an employee at Code School *|

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Jul 02 2014 at 4:54pm
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:29pm
Microsoft has a nice website with videos that teach you how to code.
They also have video training for their certs.
All the information is out there and free if you really want to learn. 
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 12:24pm
I know nothing about tech. it would be so amazing to be included in something like this- its like learning how to read for the first time! Thanks for posting this
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 12:47pm
only in america?
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

only in america?

No its worldwide

thanks cr! i downloaded an app 'cause of tatee's post the other weekStar
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixieDarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:37pm
As a black woman who's majoring in computer science, this would help me tremendously.
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixieDarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:38pm
If you guys want to learn other form of coding, such as Java, Python, Ruby on Red, etc, there's also code academy.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic