Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Goodbye to my American Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

American Dream *snort* that crap has been junk from the get-go

That is correct. One of the reasons I left.

Some of my Black friends have moved to The States now and I have tried to warn them ..... though they don't believe me of course. Everyone says 'They elected a Black President - so the problems are over'. Duhhhhh!Confused 

Sadly many of them are from other countries but are married the White men and I am like ... 'ahhh you are gonna have the kind of problems there .. that you would absolutely never have over here'. Confused 
They will have to learn the hard way though.

About this text 'people find their way out of their hoods and pull themselves up by their bootstraps? If I could speak English without using a single ebonic slang, why do others call themselves “Brothas”? If I managed to make it through 23 years without contracting an STD or getting pregnant, why do black women have the highest statistical risk of disease and teenage motherhood?

I am AA but  I never .understood this either. I think it's the family really because in my family .... getting pregnant, getting an STD, using Ebonics, not going to college  etc... was not an optionShocked

That was just the way it was and my parents didn't have to beat me .. they just gave me the look ... and I did whatever they said.Smile

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jul 27 2013 at 1:55am
Sponsored Links

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 2:00am
@kfoxx...hmmmm i've read it 2 times now  and got none of that.  just a bunch of aa stereotypes she managed to dodge (in the eyes of non aa's...read yt...ironical in and of itself that they even f*ckin matter to her) as a result of never fully embracing america... which for her seems to actually translate to avoiding aa culture.  oh and along the way she realized that yt folks here ain't shyt either...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jul 27 2013 at 2:09am
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 2:16am
Okay let me once again.  It looked like she was questioning why people said these things, not that she was saying them.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 2:22am
I think the author of the article 'othered' herself from other AA Blacks by suggesting they were not quite on her level. That plus how she let ignorant negative stereotypes frame her view on AA could be seen as offensive.

With that being said, I do get where she is coming from. She isn't AA so her experience in America is going to be different.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 2:43am
I think she hasn't structured her article as well as she could have.  People are coming at her from both side but my read of this each time has been the same.  I'm looking for her responses to people.  Here is the first one I've found:

------------

Tiffanie Drayton

Dear Readers,

First and foremost, would like to thank all of you for taking interest in my story. I understand that many of you have questions, comments and concerns that you would like me to address and for that reason, I write this response to you all. 

Racism is a global phenomenon and much of it we know today stems from both imperialism and colonialism. There is no place to run or hide from that fact. My essay is a account of some of the select experiences I had in America that made me decide to leave the country and return to my country of birth. It is not a cry for help. I made a decision that I believe will allow me to help myself- as my mother did when she first went to America.

With this said, for some of the commenters who  continue to believe black people who take a stand against racism are whiners, I beg you to please redirect that same energy into listening to and uplifting the race that helped lay the foundations of your country. If any of you are in the New York City area, I implore you to take a New School class with professor Darrick Hamilton called "Racial Stratification in the US Economy".

I also ask that you look beyond my personal story and delve into core of the race issue: There are systemic problems that should not be ignored and cannot be denied. Poor educational opportunities, over 800,000 black men in prison, lack of positive role models, work discrimination, neighborhoods that are rightfully called "ghettos". 

May I please remind you that the last time people were forced to live in "ghettos", other human beings thought it OK to put millions into gas chambers and ovens?

For those of you concerned about my safety in my native country of Trinidad and Tobago, please spend a day in your local hoods. They can be found in any state, almost every city. Chicago, New York, Detroit, Houston, Georgia, Florida- you name the place and you can find a "ghetto". 

Do you feel safe in the conditions many black people endure in your own country?

If all Americans are made equal, all must be given equal opportunities. There simply is no way around that.

P..S. There is no such thing as "free" education. Even this little black girl and her mother pay taxes.

Thank You,

Tiffanie Drayton

juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 2:47am
Till this day i think African Americas and people from other countries have a different point of view or mindset or way of thinking so i understand her. Also i always felt like a other in America so thats how i view things.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 3:02am
Jebus there are over a hundred comments.   She is saying here what I had been in my head all day today.   America is poised to accept hispanics as whites and they will still continue to treat AAs the same contempt despite the fact that we are the foundation of the country.  She's not doing the best job of explaining her points and automatically not trusted so its coming off here as her focusing on being "other".  The yt ppl are mad because Trayvon is a scummy little pot head criminal and she is defending him.  What a mess!   That article is a fail for her if she can't explain better. 

-------------------------------------

Tiffanie Drayton

@Rubbertramp @Tiffanie Drayton Thank you for adding to this discussion. By 2050, "white people" as we know them today may, indeed be a minority. However, as we have seen with this Zimmerman case, the Italians, Jews and Irish "whiteness" is an ever evolving label. Zimmerman was not what would have been classified 50 years ago as a white man, yet we call him that today. The doors of whiteness are open to many different ethnicities, but closed to blacks. Blacks, especially African Americans will remain the stepping stones for other races to get a boost. This is the historical trend of America. I do recall at one time the Irish were as lazy and scummy as "Brotha Mans".

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 3:10am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

American Dream *snort* that crap has been junk from the get-go

That is correct. One of the reasons I left.

Some of my Black friends have moved to The States now and I have tried to warn them ..... though they don't believe me of course. Everyone says 'They elected a Black President - so the problems are over'. Duhhhhh!Confused 

Sadly many of them are from other countries but are married the White men and I am like ... 'ahhh you are gonna have the kind of problems there .. that you would absolutely never have over here'. Confused 
They will have to learn the hard way though.

About this text 'people find their way out of their hoods and pull themselves up by their bootstraps? If I could speak English without using a single ebonic slang, why do others call themselves “Brothas”? If I managed to make it through 23 years without contracting an STD or getting pregnant, why do black women have the highest statistical risk of disease and teenage motherhood?

I am AA but  I never .understood this either. I think it's the family really because in my family .... getting pregnant, getting an STD, using Ebonics, not going to college  etc... was not an optionShocked

That was just the way it was and my parents didn't have to beat me .. they just gave me the look ... and I did whatever they said.Smile

You and whoever thanked you..um..no

I say she is actually talking about people like you who think this way.   I hope I'm right but I know you're wrong either wayCool.

ETA:  But def good you listened to your parentsLOL

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Jul 27 2013 at 3:11am
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 3:33am
Okay I'm still with her but I can completely see how the structure is very off putting.

What she is attempting to do, not well its true, is say that white people tried to use her as an example and as their excuse for all of those stereotypes she listed never taking into account that there is a reason for the state of black America and its them and their continued marginalization of us. She's trying to say that the people in the ghetto are not there because they are lazy or immoral but because they do not have an equal playing field and never have, never will and leaving is all she can do because it breaks her heart. She will not come back until all blacks in America have the same opportunities given to white people.

Samone accurately predicts that will never happen, hence she aint coming back

Thats all I can do for her.

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Jul 27 2013 at 3:37am
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 3:34am
Thanks for the heads ups Kfoxx. The comment section is a good read minus a few 'faux colorblind' yt people.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic