Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Going Natural

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
cobrapandemic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrapandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Natural
    Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 11:05pm

Hi, hello

I am a twenty year old African-American woman looking to ditch my relaxed hair for the natural style. My biggest issue is that I’ve had relaxed hair since I was about seven years old. I have no idea what my natural, un-permed hair looks like. Even so, I am more than excited to see what I am blessed with underneath this chemically treated mess. I haven’t permed my hair since September of last year, which I’ve heard is enough time for my natural hair to kick out the chemicals. Unfortunately, my hair proceeded to become dry and brittle and fall out in large amounts. Instead of treating this responsibly by seeing a doctor or moisturizing I panicked. Because I’m in college I decided the best solution to my issue was to buy a weave (a lace wig, specifically) and wear it constantly to hide my non-existent, poor excuse for hair. Now, my biggest question is, how do I go about cutting off this hair and starting fresh? Do I shave it down to the roots? Do I only cut a couple inches? Do I need to shave it in a specific way to ensure it grows back? I am so confused. Help?

Sponsored Links

krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by cobrapandemic cobrapandemic wrote:

Hi, hello

I am a twenty year old African-American woman looking to ditch my relaxed hair for the natural style. My biggest issue is that I’ve had relaxed hair since I was about seven years old. I have no idea what my natural, un-permed hair looks like. Even so, I am more than excited to see what I am blessed with underneath this chemically treated mess. I haven’t permed my hair since September of last year, which I’ve heard is enough time for my natural hair to kick out the chemicals. Unfortunately, my hair proceeded to become dry and brittle and fall out in large amounts. Instead of treating this responsibly by seeing a doctor or moisturizing I panicked. Because I’m in college I decided the best solution to my issue was to buy a weave (a lace wig, specifically) and wear it constantly to hide my non-existent, poor excuse for hair. Now, my biggest question is, how do I go about cutting off this hair and starting fresh? Do I shave it down to the roots? Do I only cut a couple inches? Do I need to shave it in a specific way to ensure it grows back? I am so confused. Help?

I hope you're lurking around the natural section.  As for the best way to cut off your hair, just go to a hair salon and ask them to cut the relaxer and leave only the natural textured hair.  Or, you could do it the more fun way and spritz each section of your hair with water and a spray bottle and cut off the straight parts.  Since you haven't had a relaxer since last September, you should have about 6 inches of chemically untreated hair.  That should be enough to give you a cute, round shaped afro style.  Don't go bald unless you genuinely want to.
cobrapandemic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cobrapandemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2013 at 3:09pm
Hi, Kris. I did what you suggested and spritzed my hair by sections. Strangely enough, with the exception of the very back of my head, all of my hair curled right up. So I cut the straight sections in the back to match the length of the rest of my hair. I also did a deep conditioning treatment that softened it all up really well. Now I've a cute little fro. Everyone at work loves it! Hopefully, in time, I can have nice, lengthy curls.

Edited by cobrapandemic - Sep 23 2013 at 3:13pm
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 8:14pm
Glad I could help.  I hope you are wearing your new natural hair with confidence and style.  The only suggestion I have for you is to try to keep your hair journey as simple as possible.  People will always recommend such-and-such a treatment or this-and-that product.  If you stick to the basics, you'll avoid a lot of fads and snake-oil.
eternalhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eternalhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 4:16pm
Hi, you can do what ever you are the most comfortable with. This lady can give you some advice and send you on your way. Go to https://www.youtube.com/Moorevolve
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply