Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goal for Shoulder Length Hair Unreachable?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
TheDetermined View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDetermined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goal for Shoulder Length Hair Unreachable?
    Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 2:02am
My hair at the moment is about an inch (probably half an inch ..) below ear length. For the past 2-3 years I have been trying my utmost best to grow it out. 

My hair has been relaxed for years and I have been very adamant on not going natural. I have not permed my hair since the beginning of March 2014. Everyone seems to be doing it, my sister recently decided to do it as well as a large number of my friends. I have grown very tired of people trying to persuade me to go natural. 

Hair Type: My hair is two textures. In the front half it's 4B and in the back half it's 4C when new growth arrives. It becomes very thick when and hard to manage after 8 weeks

The Issue: My hair is prone to breakage. There is a large section of my hair that is broken off in the mid back of my head. But everything around it (My nape (a bit), sections close around the ears, etc) is growing fine which makes no sense to me. The back half of my hair seems to break off more than the front.  I have kept my hair down all the time..but recently I have started to put it up and try mastering a bun...

What I['ve] Tried/Done: Co-wash, stretching, only using products with natural ingredients (no petrol or mineral oil, and [usually] no parabens), the LOC method (Whenever I feel my hair is dry, I do it before I go to bed), use a wide tooth comb, air dry when wet , and wrapping my hair in a silk scarf almost every night. I flat iron maybe once a week. 

What Seems to Work: Protective styles seem to do well. I kept my hair in micro-braids followed by 5-6 months in a sew-in. My hair grew about an inch and a half, but after taken it out it began to break off again.

Products: I have been a insane product junkie. I have a cabinet full of bottles from Creme of Nature to Pantente to Palmers to Mane N' Tail to Aussie Conditioner to Carol's Daughter... I now use these:
  • Olive Oil Creme 
  • Olive Oil Hair Lotion
  • Macadamia Oil
  • Biotera Shampoo and Reconstructing Conditioner
  • Aloe Vera
  • Organix 3-minute Keratin Recovery
I honestly don't know what to do anymore...and feel I haven't gone anywhere...I registered hopefully to find more insight as it seems I have no idea what I'm doing with my hair nor knows what it wants or needs. Thank you for reading. Any advice would be much appreciated.. Heart

Edited by TheDetermined - Apr 30 2014 at 2:04am
Sponsored Links

Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 9:22am
Doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result is insanity. Going natural even for a short period (like for the rest of this year) will do nothing but benefit your hair. By your description it seems constant relaxers don't work for you. There are many women whose heads can take relaxers and still be able to retain length and have thick hair in great shape. That's due to their genes.

Type 4 hair benefits tremendously from protective styling, however if it is not installed properly it will be counterproductive. Use a great deep conditioner prior to an install to ensure maximum moisture. If you feel that that deep conditioner did not work or your hair is still rough and dry do not proceed with the install and try another. Moisture is the key to successful protective styling as well as not leaving it in for too long. Kinky hair mattes & locks up from long term protective styling which ends up breaking once you take it out. Leave it in for only 2 months or LESS preferably a month. Also make sure it's not too tight, tension=breakage. After taken down, if you are not sensitive to protein, do a protein treatment followed by deep conditioning with heat, LOC/LCO method.

I honestly think you should lay off relaxers for the rest of the year only using heat to straighten. Then from 2015, determine the amount of relaxers you should get if getting relaxers is important to you.

Also you need to take into account that you may have a slow growth rate. Because the next person hair grew this or that much doesn't mean yours will. Go lurk on the long hair care forum for tips, so many women online can help you.

Good luck on your hair journey!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDetermined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 10:56am
Well, I've tried the stretching thing, and then my hair began to break off a bit more then before... I think that's when I got tired of dealing with my hair and stuck it into a protective style... 

My hair didn't start breaking off again immediately after taking down my protective style, but  after a great while. So, I assumed I'm doing something wrong. I think what I've caught on is, I've been trying many techniques to take care of my hair and find the perfect product that none of them seem to stick for me...

I'll try stretching again and see where that takes me and moisturize as much as possible, but I'm very wary about it Ermm.

I don't think I'll properly be able to get braids or a sew-in until the beginning of June..

Thank you for responding Smile

Edited by TheDetermined - Apr 30 2014 at 11:34am
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:50pm
have you tried a protein treatment? Or a reconstructor of some sort?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDetermined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

have you tried a protein treatment? Or a reconstructor of some sort?

I have tried a protein treatment once or twice...I don't remember how my hair reacted afterwards but I feel like that signifies that it didn't do much....I thought about doing it myself but was afraid to.  At the moment I'm trying to spend more attention to the sections that have broken off as opposed to those that are fine...I went to a deep conditioner hours ago, and my breakage was less..but I still need to moisturize consistently (LOC)...I still have no idea if I'm doing this right.

Edited by TheDetermined - May 04 2014 at 6:37pm
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 10:34am
I think you may need to get a hair analysis
BronxJazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BronxJazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 3:10pm
How does your hair feel? Does it feel dry, rough, etc? 

I think you're using too much protein. All of your deep conditioners have protein. You need moisture. A moisturizing deep conditioner that doesn't have any protein in it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDetermined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:37pm
Well, I'm thinking about going to the hairdresser this Saturday...it's been over 3 months...and I getting a perm isn't the best option I suppose.. And since I would get a usual, I would know what to ask them...Just to wash and straighten? My hair is now unruly and extremely thick.. especially at the crown..

My new growth is rough...so I have to agree my hair is quite dry..I have Mane N' Tail deep moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner...but how will I know it doesn't have protein in it? 

I'm now paying more attention to my back as it is now prone of breaking off more than any section of my hair..

BronxJazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BronxJazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 3:43pm
Mane and tail has protein in it too. Look at the ingredients If it has karetin, collagen, or other protein in it it's a protein deep conditioner. Look at shea moisture or aubrey organics. Even giovanni has a good moisturizing deep conditioner but it's hard to find on the ground. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDetermined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 1:17am
I'm still butt hurt about how I was close to achieving my goal but then it all went downhill from unknown reasons..

I'm switching to braids when I get back home, but even after taking them out I don't know what I would do with them afterwards as I don't want the same thing to happen again..

I will bin/chuck the things with extreme protein..
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic