Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tu-grad View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: GLYCERIN AND COCONUT OIL
    Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 8:55am
OK I BOUght these products yesterday... i used the glycerin and it made my hair super soft... tomorrow im gonna use the coconut oil and see how this works...

are these just for moisture... what is if mixed the glycerin, coconut oil and castor oil in one bottle..is that too much products mixed together ?
Sponsored Links

BunnieHoney View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 9:18am

Glycerin pulls moisture from the air and coconut oil will seal the moisture in.  Also, coconut oil will penetrate to the protein bonds in your hair.  Just using these 2 is not a moisterizer.  I can't say enough about castor oil...I buy it by the gallons...

You should add some water, distilled or tap, or aloe vera juice to the bottle as well.  A good moisterizer is water based.  HTH
OnMyJourney View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 9:26am
Originally posted by BunnieHoney BunnieHoney wrote:

Glycerin pulls moisture from the air and coconut oil will seal the moisture in.  Also, coconut oil will penetrate to the protein bonds in your hair.  Just using these 2 is not a moisterizer.  I can't say enough about castor oil...I buy it by the gallons...

You should add some water, distilled or tap, or aloe vera juice to the bottle as well.  A good moisterizer is water based.  HTH

Hi BunnieHoney,
I'm new to this whole healthy hair thing and I'm trying really hard to learn as much as I can. I use Glycerin mixed with water to detangle and moisturize my daughter's hair and then I use coconut oil from root to end as I style it and to moisturize her scalp...am I not doing enough? I only ask because you said that just using these two isn't a moisturizer. What else do you recommend I do?  An just as an aside, I deep condition it with Humectress and EVOO.

Thanks for the help! And thanks to the OP for starting this thread! Clap

Edited by Bre&Me - Jun 19 2008 at 9:27am
tu-grad View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 9:35am
Confused wow i thought i was doin something great.. so glycerin isnt a moisturizer...

my hair is straight so besides water what else can i use .. water would just curl my  hair up

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 9:49am
Hey Bre&Me, yes you are doing enough.  You said you use WATER and glycerin to detangle and then use oil to style. Water and glycerin together is the best combination, in my opinionEmbarrassed.  The deep conditioner that you use sounds great.  Is your daughter having any dryness issues?

Tu-grad...mmm...even though I am not relaxed, a good moisturizer is water based and you don't have to drench your hair with the mixture (to cut down on reversion).  I don't know how you style your hair, so I will use this as an example.

You wash, condition your hair and then do a rollerset, you use whatever (water, lottabody,???).  To maintain your rollerset during the week, you spray your hair with water/glycerin mix and then seal with the coconut oil and then wrap, cross wrap. 

I am trying to forget my relaxed days...because I used pink oil as a moisterizerCry

Edited by BunnieHoney - Jun 19 2008 at 10:08am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 10:52am

Hey Bre&Me, yes you are doing enough.  You said you use WATER and glycerin to detangle and then use oil to style. Water and glycerin together is the best combination, in my opinionEmbarrassed.  The deep conditioner that you use sounds great.  Is your daughter having any dryness issues?

Whew! Thanks girl, I was worried! LOL  Her hair used to be really dry, but the coconut oil and glycerin (not sure which, or maybe both) have worked wonders. Oh and I do add a dab of Cantu's shea butter leave in on her edges, they used to be so extremely dry. Her hair looks so beautiful that I just can't stop looking at it or touching it. I'm very happy with it now.

I think the deep conditioner combo I use helps a lot, but again I'm not certain if it's one thing or the other or the combination of all. Either way, I'm as pleased as I can be.  She still has dry scalp, though. I think it was so bad this last week because I put too much stuff on her hair  when experimentin and I misidentified the "buildup" of all that stuff as dandruff. I've decided to stick with what works versus trying everything I read on here...but it's so hard! LOL

I only used the coconut oil on her scalp this week and while it's only been two days, her scalp looks nice and moisturized w/o the greasy look. So I think it was my user error that made last week so bad for her poor little scalp. Cry

Thanks so much for your help! I'm learning so much here!! *hugs*

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 12:10pm
Glad to help Bre&Me.  There are a lot of wonderful and knowledgeable people on this boardClap
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2008 at 1:19pm

Glad to help Bre&Me.  There are a lot of wonderful and knowledgeable people on this boardClap

You are so right and I Heart you all! Hug Smile
haj1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2008 at 7:30pm
Now with coconut oil, do you use that as a carrier oil or do you grease your scalp with it. Or do you use it as a moisterizer. Seeing as though coconut oil penetrates the shaft of the hair wouldnt it also be considered a moisturizer then? so many questions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 9:03am
Originally posted by haj1 haj1 wrote:

Now with coconut oil, do you use that as a carrier oil or do you grease your scalp with it. Or do you use it as a moisterizer. Seeing as though coconut oil penetrates the shaft of the hair wouldnt it also be considered a moisturizer then? so many questions

Coconut oil is carrier oil and you can grease your scalp with it and it does penetrate the scalp as well as the hair.  It's been said that it bonds with the protein in hair, but it is not considered a moisterizer.  Now, if you want to mix a little water with the coconut oil, you have a moisterizer, but by itself, no.

I love coconut oil and use it as a sealer or part of my pre-poo, and it feels wonderful on my hair.  When I used it alone, at the start of my hair journey, it felt good, but my hair was drying out because I never applied any moisture.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic