It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
2tired2thinkofu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glue or Tape for lace front for newbies
    Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 1:23am

Hi everyone,

I need some advise.  I just order my lace front and have no ideal what would work best to keep the unit on my head.  I plan on wearing the unit for a week or two.  I have read about the different types of glues and tapes based on this board and links provide by members and I still don't know what would work best for a newbie.  Could you give me some ideals of what worked best for you when you first put your unit on?  I am one of those woman who has long side burns and I am scared that the glue or tape might take my hair out.

Sponsored Links

ggirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 7:26am

2tired2thinkofu

This helped me to decide:

Descriptions of Accessories
Glue, Tape, Solvent, Release etc.

On a scale of one to ten, how strong are our adhesives? Here are our ratings. This is very subjective and a rough level guide only. Updated!
Level 09 - Tight Grip Adhesive
Level 09 - Ultra Hold Adhesive
Level 09 - Blue Liner
Level 07 - 3 MIL Glue Tape
Level 06 - No Residue Lace or Poly Tape
Level 05 - CoolPiece Cream Adhesive
Level 03 - Sensi-Tack Red Liner
Level 01 - Mity Tite Adhesive
Level 01 - 3M Medical Tape

All of the products described on this page can be ordered online
Click Here To Order

CoolPiece All Purpose Adhesive Remover (Safe Citrus Solvent)
Safely and quickly removes all glue from scalp, skin, lace, hair, polyurethane etc. Based on ultra light cosmetic-grade natural mineral oil and fruit, it is very gentle on sensitive skin and shampoos away easily. Beware of using industrial products like DeSolveIt which are not designed for skin contact. This solution is much less irritating to skin but equally as effective. All wearers of hair should have some of this at home! Big 8 ounce spray bottle lasts ages.
CoolPiece Lace Release and Scalp Cleaner
Spray through lace and most of the glue stays on the skin for easy clean up. An alcohol based product with exclusive extra degreasing ingredients. The best solution for a squeaky clean lace base and sterile skin. Removes adhesive remover oils completely.

No Residue Lace or Poly Tape
Medium to low-shine clear tape with a 5-15 day hold that comes off so cleanly you will want to use it for daily attachment also. Shown here in a CC curve. Our most popular product!
Designed for extended wear and no clean up issues.
Advantages: Low maintenance tape that is easy to use and saves time by leaving no residue to clean.
Non-irritaing on most sensitive skin.
Disadvantages:
Less invisible than 3MIL tape or glue, but so much cleaner and easier to use. Perfect for the back and sides of an all-lace piece with >65% density. Not quite invisible, but it's matte enough for >90% densities on lace fronts.

3 MIL Lace Front Glue Tape
No-shine clear glue without any tape liner between waxed paper peel-off backing. Extra thin! Recently improved with stronger adhesive! Shown here in an A curve. User tip from A-of-Venice: hold it against an ice pack to make it cold before use. Makes peeling easier.
Designed for light density lace fronts where shiny tape would show. 3 MIL is 3/1000th of an inch.
Advantages: Holds for 5 to
12 days and is not shiny at all. Amazing results with lace front hairpieces! A great choice for oily skin as it will not bleed and migrate like the liquid glues. If you are tired of having glue beyond your edge, or not close enough to your edge, try 3MIL tape, and place it on the unit, not your head, and put it right on the edge every time. Once again, this is glue, in a tape format. There is no actual tape at all.
Disadvantages:
The longer you leave this adhesive on, the longer it takes to clean up. But it's very easy using the mirror slide and other methods described on this site.

Blue Liner Lace Front Support Tape
A clear double sided adhesive on a less shiny tape material. Shown here in a C curve.
Designed to hold for a couple of weeks and reduce the reflective glint that is often visible through the front edge of lace fronted hairpieces
Advantages: Strong enough for scuba diving
. Less shiny through the lace front. Shampoo hair in place daily.
Disadvantages: Very strong adhesive, must be released thoroughly with lace release, adhesive remover or alcohol before removal from lace. Leaves a mess if used on poly so should be used only on lace or monofilament. Not quite invisible, but it's matte enough for >90% densities on lace fronts.

Sensi-Tack Red Liner Clear Tape
A clear double sided tape with red plastic peel-off backing. Shown here in a C curve.
Designed to hold for a few days, or to protect base from bonding glue
Advantages: Stronger hold in hot weather and for athletics. Will survive a shampoo or two.
Disadvantages:  Shiny appearance through lace front.
Not medical grade and not ideal for very sensitive skin.

Clear Medical Tape by 3M
A clear double sided tape with waxed paper peel-off backing. The standard in attachment worldwide! Shown here in a C curve.
Designed for daily application and removal
Advantages:
Extremely easy to apply and remove. Can last for days. Great for daily removal.
Disadvantages: Only really safe for one to three cool days. Shiny through lace front, and appears milky in hot conditions. Not really waterproof.

CoolPiece Tight Grip Adhesive
Our version of the amazing Tight Grip. A professional acrylic adhesive that you brush on the skin, allow to dry then push the lace down onto. Lasts 1 to 5 weeks, depending on skin oiliness, perspiration and heat.

Advantages: Absolute bonding confidence. Tip: use the thinnest possible coat to help with clean up. Great for ocean diving, Rugby or wrestling etc. As strong as or stronger than Ultra Hold, but easier to release and leaves less residue.
Disadvantages: Too much bonding strength for daily removers. More expensive than Ultra Hold. This product contains 2.4% toluene until it is dry.

CoolPiece Cream Adhesive
A water based white cream that dries clear and non-shiny. A safe and great solution for the attachment of lace or polyskin. For lace, apply the cream to skin with fingertip, wait a couple of minutes and then push down the lace. Bond lasts ages, depending on skin oiliness, perspiration and heat. This is the reknowned CoolPiece Cream Adhesive that changed lace front management for the better. Beware of other white glues with less holding strength. For polyskin, apply to the edges of the skin base, wait until dry then apply hairpiece to clean shaved area. Amazing!
Advantages: Extremely easy to apply and remove. Strong bond. Manufacturer Rates as a 3 to 6 week glue but in reality it gives a strong hold for 3 to 10 days. A non-toxic and completely safe product for those with sensitive skin.
Disadvantages: May transfer through lace slightly after a few days if you are oily or sweaty. May whiten beneath polyskin after several hot days.

Mity Tite Adhesive
An acrylic adhesive that you brush on the skin, allow to dry then push the lace down onto. Lasts 1 to 10 days, depending on skin oiliness, perspiration and heat.
Advantages: Extremely easy to apply and remove. Can last for days.
Disadvantages: Oily skin can get the better of Mity Tite. Note: This product contains 1.82% toluene until it is dry.

Ultra Hold Adhesive
A professional acrylic adhesive that you brush on the skin, allow to dry then push the lace down onto. Lasts 1 to 5 weeks, depending on skin oiliness, perspiration and heat.
Advantages: Absolute bonding confidence. Tip: use the thinnest possible coat to help with clean up. Great for ocean diving, Rugby or wrestling etc.
Disadvantages: Too much bonding strength for frequent removers. Must be released thoroughly with lace release or adhesive remover. Can present a clean up challenge, and can begin to lose adhesion on very oily skin after a few days. This product contains 2.6% toluene until it is dry.

Scalp Protector
Reduces the chance of irritation or allergic reaction to tapes and adhesive if you have sensitive skin. Improves adhesion for oily or acidic skin. Improves adhesion in hot humid weather. Helps prevent gooey messy meltdown of tapes. Makes cleaning system easier. Just dab it on to skin and hairpiece before applying tape.
Is also used as a "knot sealer".
Note: This product contains methacrylate film former until it is dry.

ggirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 7:30am
Good question about the sideburns....I tried a wig cap on I  bought yestderday and was wondering about the side burns also, they are not covered by the cap so how are you ladies dealing with sideburns?
2tired2thinkofu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 8:21am

ggirl,

With all the selections on glue which one really holds.  I have read that ultra hold is good but messie but i haven't read anything else about mity tite and tight grip. As far as tape the only thing I notice is that the majority of the girls use Euro-Flex but I still have no ideal how you would tape the unit down?  The tape looks to wide so I'm afraid I might end up putting tape in my hair or my wig cap.

The only thing for sure I know I need is a silk scarf, scalp protector, and citrus remover.

essence View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 8:37am
Im not sure there is really a best answer here b/c different people have better results w/different products...  Some people's skin breaks out from the tape while others get rashes from the glue.  So you are going to have to do some trial and error.... As far as the health of my skin an all glue application works best.  My skin has virtually no reaction from the glue and doesnt seem to mind having it on for days at a time... BUT the tape is MUCH easier to work with and in some cases gives a stronger hold over time.  I find that the stickiness of the glue is more affected by sweat than the tape.  Having said all that... I have both the tight grip and the ultra hold glue.  And I have the Euro flex tape tabs.  I have found that my skin will become irritated if I use the a tape for too many days in a row.  So I am alternating using the tape/glue mixture or just all glue (ultra hold).  If I know Im just gonna have the wig on for say 1-2 days and/or dont have time to deal w/the gooey-ness  of the ultra hold then I can go with just tight grip.  If I want a longer hold then Im gonna use the ultra hold.   I plan to keep all 3 products in the supply closet!

ggirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2005 at 10:32am

I believe what Essence is saying is the key - I  looked at the advantages and disadvantages to decide where to start. I decided on the Ultra hold, Tight Grip,3 Mil Tape Glue and Blue Liner LF Support Tape (of course the lace release, remover and protector).  I picked these because I need something that's going to stay with me through a workout,  keeping in mind what Essence said about the glue being more affected by sweat than the tape.   My experiences from this point on will determine what stays, goes and what else I need to try.

skeletora View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2006 at 9:57pm
does the glue have to be put on with tape?
Reality View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2006 at 10:36pm

Originally posted by skeletora skeletora wrote:

does the glue have to be put on with tape?

some tapes are sticky on one side only, some on both sides...

at first i used a mixture of glue and tape..

now i just use a little bit of ultra hold and im good to go...

the ultra hold does bother my skin in the back usually after one day.  However, i've had the unit im wearing now on since thursday and no reaction so far....

I had tight grip... worked good too but that damn bottle... you hear people saying the top comes out and the glue spills all over them.. i think that happens with the tight grip too often.

I use ultra hold and a small makeup brush now...  if I use tape its blue rolls.   I tried euroflex, but it gives off a shine in my parts to me....

the ultra hold is messy...  i keep it in a plastic sandwhich bag.  and just unscrew the top with the side of the baggie lol...  it's sooo messy.  it works best for me so far though.

Edited by Reality
ggirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2006 at 8:12am

yeah - I had the same problem with the Tight Grip, spilled all over the side of my face, neck and got into the hair in the back

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic