Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Girl, 7, sent home over locs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Girl, 7, sent home over locs
    Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 5:24am

School Sends Girl, 7, Home Over Her ‘Distracting Dreadlocks’

A 7-year-old Tulsa girl was sent home form her elementary school because her dreadlocks were too much of a distraction, Fox 23 News Tulsa reports.

Terrance Parker said Deborah Brown Community School officials “hassled” him about Tiana‘s dreadlocks, until he was told his daughter could no longer attend classes. She didn’t look “presentable, Parker said he was told.

“She’s always presentable. I take pride in my kids looking nice,” said Parker.

However, the school told Fox 23 that Parker knew that it had very strict dress-code rules–especially when it comes to hair. NewsOne reviewed the school’s dress code and it clearly states on page 13 that “hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable.” Deborah Brown school officials feel the hairstyle could cause distractions, a statement that surprises Parker.

“She went to the school last year and didn’t have any problems,” he said.

When a Fox 23 reporter asked little Tiana why she was removed from classes, she burst into tears. “because they didn’t like my dreads,” she said. “I think that they should let me have my dreads.”

Tiana ended up having to enroll in a new school, where she wears a different uniform but has the same hairstyle.

According to her new school, her hair is fine.

http://newsone.com/2711044/deborah-brown-community-school-dreadlocks/

Edited by tatee - Sep 05 2013 at 5:33am
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 5:26am
What's the difference between her hair and the other girls' hair in the school.  There's a girl in class rocking pink and white beads.  Is that not distracting and a fad?

Deborah Brown Community School

Edited by tatee - Sep 05 2013 at 5:26am
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 5:36am
aww when she was crying, it broke my heart, I just wanted to give her a great big hug.Cry

"faddish styles" though?Ermm wtf does that even mean? here's the founding director of the school:

I guess her hair/wig is "faddish" too right?Sleepy
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 5:51am
If I ever teach in the United States, can I send little Johnny Mulligan home if he wears a mullet?  I find that shyt distracting.  Or how about Rebecca Smith?  If her parents decide to color her hair with chalk, can I send her home?
Sleek View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Sleek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 6:25am
Faddish? Wow and wow at the director....not really surprised but I'm so sick of us trying to please and make other races comfortable.......so ridiculous.
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 6:26am
some of these school need to choose their battkes...tgere are people waiting for a good reason to sue. denyimg her of education of hair. The staff and teachers need some diversity training ie Not everyone wears weave what if that child had a bald head would she be sent home bc the hairstyle is to manly.

Edited by cvzx - Sep 05 2013 at 6:30am
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 6:48am
kids have been going to school like this for years...why is it suddenly so distracting? i see all kinds of hair everyday taking my own kids... none of them are being sent home. mohawks, spikes of all colors...smh.
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 7:55am
Her hair was a mess.  Obviously daddy the barber can't comb it and decided dreads for his daughter was the right choice and he doesn't even wear friggin DReads?  What the friggin hell?  Her hair was/is a mess.
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 8:16am
How are locs distracting? And an afro is faddish? On afro hair?
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2013 at 8:26am
hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable.

What this $hit really mean. The dress Code as pictured in the video also states that hair musn't be longer than shoulder length.....WTF? For safety. So anything past that it's bun/ponytail everyday

At my high school they banned butterfly clips but that ish wsh really distracting . We'd just keep touching the clips/wings of the girl in front to make them move LMAOOOOO
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic