FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Getting the things you want!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
Findingmyme View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Findingmyme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the things you want!
    Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 8:48am
To the ladies and gents who live abroad, are there certain items like, clothing, hair care, electronics, etc, that you love that are not available to ship to your country? If so how do you normally go about obtaining them? I am going to visit a few friends out of the country and I have several lists of things that I consider basic items that can be picked up at most stores here in the US that are not available to them in their countries, and the websites of most products do not ship. You would think with the world being so global that all companies with websites would ship internationally, is international shipping that expensive or restrictive?
Sponsored Links

Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 8:53am
eBay and finding the word in another language and trying there. I wanted some sugar free coffee syrup but they don't sell it here. So I found out what they call it in Germany and it worked! I ordered it from some web store in Germany a couple times.

ETA: Shipping is high as hell! And there are sometimes import restrictions depending on the country. Some things added to US foods is banned in the EU. Then there is a dreaded import tax. You have to pay that at the door and sometimes it can cost more than the item itself.

Edited by Prazol60 - Jul 24 2013 at 8:55am
honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Findingmyme Findingmyme wrote:

To the ladies and gents who live abroad, are there certain items like, clothing, hair care, electronics, etc, that you love that are not available to ship to your country? If so how do you normally go about obtaining them? I am going to visit a few friends out of the country and I have several lists of things that I consider basic items that can be picked up at most stores here in the US that are not available to them in their countries, and the websites of most products do not ship. You would think with the world being so global that all companies with websites would ship internationally, is international shipping that expensive or restrictive?

After being in business for years, international shipping can be a pain in the a double snakes.
You have to fill out the customs paperwork which can be tedious. Not to mention it can be expensive, and it can take forever to get to the destination (not always the case though)

Also, there are some things you cannot ship overseas, and you have to give a detailed description of what's inside the package (at least where I live). If not, the buyer could end up paying more fees to get the item past customs.

Just recently, ebay has an international program which takes the work out of  to encourage more sellers to ship worldwide.
Findingmyme View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Findingmyme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:07am
I never knew it was such a hassle! They were asking for things like Ciroc, hygiene products, hair products, and cosmetics, silly of me to think these things were available everywhere.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:16am

I never knew it was such a hassle! They were asking for things like Ciroc, hygiene products, hair products, and cosmetics, silly of me to think these things were available everywhere.

Dang liquor is going to be hella expensive to ship. I know most people ship cars to Nigeria and fill the car up to the roof of the car with items. You pay one flat fee to customs not to look in the car.
CamiK View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamiK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Dang liquor is going to be hella expensive to ship. I know most people ship cars to Nigeria and fill the car up to the roof of the car with items. You pay one flat fee to customs not to look in the car.

Damn, ever heard of that...
sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 10:37am
If somebody could ship me an air conditioner that would be great. Germans don't believe in A/C...hell it's hot here.

Edited by sweet_n_stuff04 - Jul 24 2013 at 10:37am
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 7:55pm
Hmm let's see. Honestly I just do without. I could ask family but what I look like asking them for hair products etc and they only get 50lbs in each suitcase nowadays. Currently I'm PISSED that nowhere in Jamaica can i find those little cheap things you wrap your headphones around to keep them from tangling!

The other day my aunt came from the states and someone ask if she don;t bring back any candy.....i was like Negress are you crazy?! A 2 pound bag of candy= 6 shirts 2 pairs of sandals and a purse. Hiss teeth.

Let's see common ways for yardies to get items

1.) ask someone going up or coming down to bring it (yardies WILL ask their dead grand aunt's third cousin twice removed to bring down a little supm for them)

2. Barrels are packed a by relatives/friends and shipped from abroad

3. There are many companies/couriers who provide overseas addresses  and do all the customs paperwork and ship the item then deliver it to you or you pick it up. 

Personally all I need is Dark chocolate M&ms and Secret Scent Expressions anti-antiperspirant and CONDOMSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - the variety packs (but i can't ask my aunties for that)

You can get most popular Personal hygiene and hair care products here it may not be the entire line of products but it's here. The smaller brands you have to search but they are hiding in plain sight. when i found Elasta QP's Mango Butter some years ago I nearly cried. I live in Jamaica.

ETA JEEZZEEEAAAMMMM PEAAS. I had this Absolut Vodka with pomegranate, acai berry and blueberry at a party a few weeks back. I called Every big liquor store and club/warehouse retailer and couldn't find it only to hear that my auntie think she got it in the duty free lounge at the airportAngryOuch. I will give my first born for that ish!!!!!

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 24 2013 at 8:00pm
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 1:25am
Lol I remember I wanted some peach and coconut croc for a dinner I was having after TC mentioned them, this was when it wasn't readily available to the uk. One bottle pre tax was 80pounds

I did without.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 8:57am
Those companies with US addresses is handy because you can have them repack your stuff. Then shipping is a little cheaper
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic