Get Slave Fresh For Summer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by indiecat indiecat wrote:

I didn't like 12 years a slave that much. I like the butler way better. Belle looks good , but yah I feel the biracial lead will draw white people to the theater and maybe it makes it look like being biracial is better than being fully black.

well those are two different movies telling two different stories.
Donald Sterling said being light skinned was better
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 9:43pm
IA indie, the Butler was better than 12 Yrs

and regarding this...

maybe it makes it look like being biracial is better than being fully black.

It's hard to deny that this was a reality back in those times (and some would argue the same rings true today) but this is also handled well in the movie

eta: It's hard to confront that issue head on because, at the end of the day, the movie was about the real life and very privileged Dido Belle and how she made a understated impact on the future of slavery

Edited by Alias_Avi - May 20 2014 at 9:45pm
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 11:16pm
I didn't realize Belle was out.  I'll prolly go see it.  It didn't seem to me that she was begging for acceptance in the trailer.  I thought her father claimed her but his family didn't and she just dealt with it.  Wasn't some dude asking why she didn't eat dinner with her family and she said because it wasn't proper or summin'? 

So this has a black triad?  I'll most likely go see it then.  Put my money where my mouth is.

Edited by newdiva1 - May 20 2014 at 11:17pm
Missvw View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 6:29am
That's messed up!
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 6:38am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

i saw the trailer for belle

I'll see it if the pining for white acceptance isn't overbearing... I got that vibe from the trailer 

So my spirit was right to avoid 12 yrs a slave? The one exceptional black and the white savior are two themes that I can not abide

no 12 years was good. white people did have to save Solomon though bc they had his freedom papers--in that sense it wasn't 

Brad Pitt had to send the letter for him, but it's a movie about a real person though so....

And I found the movie Solomon Northrups Odyssey as I just did a quick google search.
Anyone seen that?! 
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 9:27am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I wouldn't see the butler either

still not interested in belle

why don't I remember the biracials in 12 years a slave?

there was only like 1--a little girl who was separated from her mother who had the master's child.  there were only negroes in the movie.

Sang--IA. It was a historical fact not necessarily whites saving him bc whites also sold him.
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 10:45am

I thought this was in the US...but it was the UK

Edited by nebhnebh - May 21 2014 at 6:42pm
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 3:46pm
belle looks cr&p....no shade...

The movie is just to enlighten half caste folk
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2014 at 6:41pm
Sainsbury's has been forced to make a series of embarrassing apologies yesterday, after a shop display promoting DVDs of '12 Years A Slave' also featured a 'slave outfit'.

The display, which was set up in the Heyford Hill branch of the supermarket in Oxford, was taken down, but not before several shoppers snapped it and complained directly to the company on Twitter.

[Italian distributor sorry for 12 Years a Slave posters]

It featured a store mannequin dressed in cut-off trousers and a beige shirt similar to that of Chiwetel Ejiofor's character Solomon Northup from the Oscar-winning movie, suggesting that customers could also buy the look as well as the DVD.

Shoppers described the display as being 'in very poor taste', while others called the move 'shocking'.

[DVD company apologises over 'sexist, racist' Sapphires cover]

The Independent newspaper picked up on the display, and tweeted the story it to its 640,000 followers.

Others were also quick to criticise the display.

Sainsbury's soon began apologising personally to those who found it to be in bad taste, including The Independent.

The movie, which stars Ejiofor alongside Michael Fassbender and was directed by Steve McQueen, was released on DVD and Bluray last Monday.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic