Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Get Back...You Don't Know Me Like That!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get Back...You Don't Know Me Like That!
    Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 11:26am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/19/personal-space-dress_n_5340519.html?utm_hp_ref=world&ir=World&ncid=edlinkushpmg00000008

This 'Personal Space Dress' Could Help Solve All Your Public Transportation Woes

The Huffington Post  | By Priscilla Frank
Posted: Updated: 

There are many imperfect aspects of riding public transportation, no matter which city you live in. Too much touching is undoubtably one of them. At times, the amount and inappropriateness of physical contact with strangers raises the offense from an annoyance to an issue of sexual harassment or gender-based marginalization. Such was the case for one young female artist named Kathleen McDermott.

The bold artist, who is currently finishing up her MFA in Hong Kong, created what's called a "Personal Space Dress," a technologically-enhanced garment that prevents potential squishers, squeezers and neck-breathers from getting too close. The motorized dress has proximity sensors built in, and when they detect someone invading the wearer's personal space, they trigger a plastic scaffolding around the dress' hem to expand.

The dress is the second in a series of projects called Urban Armor, which aim to help women own their space in public arenas that often attempt to deny this right. As McDermott explains in the project statement: "The series arose partly out of my concern over the persistence of ideologies asserted at women in public space through advertising, architecture and socially normative behavior. I began to look for ways women could take more ownership over their personal space in public."

McDermott was interested in employing wearable technology to achieve her means, noticing most previous efforts in this particular field were geared toward wealthy young professionals. "Taking a photo of your sky diving experience while wearing Google Glass is awesome, but it’s really a small minority of the population that will have this experience," she explained to Fast Company. "I wanted to explore how wearable technology could impact your physical world, and help the wearers, specifically women, exercise more control over their surroundings."

Eventually, McDermott hopes to craft a library of devices, complete with the instructions and code that would allow individuals from around the world to download Urban Armor for themselves. Other Urban Armor projects include ascarf with a built-in pollution sensor and a hat that detects CCTV and turns on infrared blockers.

Although McDermott's high tech formalwear doesn't solve the problems women face on a daily basis regarding sexual harassment, the creative endeavor is an innovative way to raise awareness. See images of the dress below and click here to get involved and help move McDermott's project forward.

Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 11:30am
LOLLOLLOL don't nobody care about that dress on NYC Transit.

Edited by sugabanana - Jun 02 2014 at 11:30am
Majesty02 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majesty02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:17pm
This is such a stupid "creation" I swear people got wayyy too much time on their hands. LOL
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:21pm
Lmaooo, now what happens when 3 ladies have that dress on or a woman decides to throw it on to go clubbingor your on an escalader? My foot and hand work just fine
HaitianLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote HaitianLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:32pm
niqqas in nyc would sit on that sh*t, rest their drinks and umbrellas on it, etc.
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:44pm
Interesting.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:52pm
i saw that a while back, i think its lame.
i like the spike vest better lol.

either way i dont think they'd help
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:55pm
I need this for the mall. yt women love to stand all up on you at the check out.LOL
Cocoa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:09pm
Am I the only one who immediately started singing, 'Why you all in my ear? Talkin' a whole bunch ofsh*t that I ain't tryin to hear.  Get Back! Censored You don't know me like that.  Get back! Censored You don't know me like that!"

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:13pm

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic