Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gabourey Sidibe Repeatedly Uses The Word 'Tranny'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gabourey Sidibe Repeatedly Uses The Word 'Tranny'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SeducTress View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gabourey Sidibe Repeatedly Uses The Word 'Tranny'
    Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:30am

Actress Gabourey Sidibe repeatedly used a transphobic slur when she recently visited "The Arsenio Hall Show" to discuss living in New Orleans.

The "American Horror Story: Coven" star said the word "tranny" no less than five times in under a minute when she appeared on the show on January 23:

Gabourey Sidibe: There was a bar that we would frequent and every time we'd go, when we were leaving every single time there was always like a gang of cops arresting trannies.

Audience: [Laughter]

Sidibe: Specifically trannies.

Arsenio Hall: Yeah…

Sidibe: And I don't know what goes on with trannies but that tranny on tranny crime needs to stop!

Arsenio Hall and audience: [Laughter]

Sidibe [chuckling]: It is tearing our nation apart!

While Sidibe brings up a good point about the treatment of transgender people by the police (and not just in New Orleans, where the profiling and abuse of trans women of color by the police was allegedly so bad the Justice Department launched an investigation, a recent study found that "trans people across the U.S. experience three times as much police violence as non-transgender individuals" and that "even when transgender people were the victims of hate crimes, 48 percent reported receiving mistreatment from the police when they went for help") the use of the term "tranny," the tone of the segment and the way the segment was packaged and presented on "The Arsenio Hall Show's" YouTube channel has many upset.

Mara Keisling, Executive Director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, told The Huffington Post:

Using the word 'tranny' isn't OK anymore. Using it to make fun of people is definitely not OK. And using it to make fun of any kind of violence is just plain wrong. I know she meant it in fun but that's the problem in this case. It's not just that she used the word 'tranny' but that she's making fun of violence in a city where the police have a history of committing violence and discriminationagainst trans women of color. It's the kind of thing that trans people listen to and say, 'This is someone who is not thinking about our lives. This is someone who is making fun of our problems.' Gabby is someone who has approached lots of different social issues with grace and class and so this is just such a disappointment.
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:32am
Trannies are severely mentally disturbed.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:33am
Gabby's so snarky LOL

Tweeted Jan 14th 2014

Edited by SeducTress - Feb 02 2014 at 11:36am
Eden. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Eden. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:34am
bhm aint got no love for the trans, good luck seducky
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:34am
Doublepost.
Goddamn button got stuck wtf?

Edited by Sang Froid - Feb 02 2014 at 11:35am
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:34am
and the justification sounds eerily like white people excusing/justifying their racism-- "but i have trans friends" "i support the trans community" "but they use it" --blah blah blah. 

yeah, but people don't consider it a slur though.

eta: 
Originally posted by Eden. Eden. wrote:

and this. 

i kinda noticed a poster that makes threads about the community and is more than slightly ignorant sounding/disrespectful at times. 

but thus is bhm and gender/sexuality. 

Edited by nekamarie83 - Feb 02 2014 at 11:37am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Eden. Eden. wrote:

Ouch

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote SeducTress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:41am
I just can't grasp the audacity of her insensitivity. She just called out people for harsh criticism against her wide ass.

Plenty of her capes are the very people she mocked. Her attitude is lowkey elitist. 

Been in Hollywood all of five mins...so this leads me to believe she was an asshole before the fame.

FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:42am
BHM reading that tweet:

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 11:43am
I like Gabby ..she was just making 'light' of her time in that area ...which was a complete turn off to me btw. I don't think Tranny is a slur either.

Gabby has been around since 'Precious' in 2009 which was 5 years ago ... so she's not new to Hollyweird.

But I will say it.

Gabby is continuing to grow and grow... I am afraid for her. :(

Edited by Printer_Ink - Feb 02 2014 at 11:46am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com