Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Frontline--Poverty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frontline--Poverty
    Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:31pm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/social-issues/poor-kids/what-does-poverty-mean-to-children/

Child poverty has reached record levels with over 16 million children affected. One in 13 Americans are jobless, and many children are growing up with little hope for their future.

For Poor Kids, which premieres next Tuesday on PBS, FRONTLINE spent months following six children who are growing up against the backdrop of their families’ struggles against financial ruin. Filmmaker Jezza Neuman traveled to the Quad Cities, a great American crossroads along the border of Iowa and Illinois, to explore the lives of children living in the suburbs of the nation’s heartland. We asked the children what being poor in America really looks like through their eyes.

“I was surprised by how things can change so fast,” says 14-year-old Roger, one of the children profiled in the film. “You can go from doing OK, not having to go hungry, to this: going hungry and having to pay all your bills and not being able to [buy food], on the verge of being homeless again.”

It's on PBS right now. I  can not stop crying. 

Sponsored Links

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:50pm
I'm tearing up. Hearing the children talk so much about money and things being hard. They should not have to experience that. Cry
Nisha View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:58pm
Thanks for the reminder. Thumbs Up
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:18pm
I can't understand why people that can afford children the least, continue to have the most.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 3:02am
I hate Frontline...they are always putting out these great shows and I have to watch them after they have aired. I wish we had it here. I haven't seen the episode yet but not everybody who has a child thinks they will lose their job and become poor.

We are dealing with some of the same issues in the Netherlands. Maartin magazine talked to several adults that found themselves having to rely on food banks to eat. One guy was single, had a house, nice car but he didn't save. When his job was cut he had to sell everything just to keep afloat. Stupid of him not to save of course but how many people really do save money? It is a skill too many people do not possisse.

Nisha View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Nisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 8:15am
That was sad.  I hate to see kids living like that.  This is the main reason I refuse to have more; I can't afford them.  This reminds you to save and think about every purchase you make b/c like that little girl said you could end up like her one day.  I liked the comments from the kids.  There was so much truth.  Their moms looked beat down by life.  I was very disappointed in the mom that was pregnant. 
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 9:21am
PBS usually has great programs.

Thanks for sharing. Will try to catch it this weekend.
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I can't understand why people that can afford children the least, continue to have the most.

To name a few reasons:

Following and mirroring learned behaviors, making bad decisions, having a lack of education and proper health care (among many otherthings)... all in a day and age where our culture teaches us be unaccountable, irresponsible, invincible, carefree, and careless with our behaviors and choices in life. 

And because one of the biggest contributors to poverty is having children out of wedlock that you cannot support/afford, these children are at a disadvantage before they even leave their mother's womb. They will grow up to, most likely (there are always exceptions), continue repeating the behaviors of the adults that surround them....

It is a generational & cyclical issue really. 

Jr1127 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jr1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 10:00am
when is coming back on I miss it.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 10:03am
Damn! "Only three other countries in the developed world have a higher child poverty rate (pdf) than the U.S." Oh I have GOT to see this episode now.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/social-issues/poor-kids/by-the-numbers-childhood-poverty-in-the-u-s/
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic