BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

From Teen Mom to Boss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Teen Mom to Boss
    Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:18am
for anyone who doesn't like "these" types of success stories...you know where to go...don't let the door hit ya where the good lawd split yaSmile
http://mic.com/articles/92563/this-woman-s-journey-from-teen-mom-to-boss-has-the-whole-internet-cheering?utm_source=policymicTBLR&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social

This Woman's Journey From Teen Mom to Boss Has the Whole Internet Cheering

Marcie Biancos avatar image By Marcie Bianco  

Far too often, teen motherhood is portrayed by the media in the context of lost opportunities, desperation and poor decision making. But these stereotypes only tell half the story. "Stigmatizing anti-teen pregnancy messages, so often tinged with racism, classism and sexism, end up placing a greater burden on a group of people who need the most support," Mic's Raquel Reichard noted recently.

Into this context appears the latest personal story featured on viral arts project Humans of New York (HONY). Although there is no name to go with face photographed by HONY photographer Brandon Stanton, her story of perseverance and love against systemic adversity has clearly struck a chord, amassing a whopping 1 million Facebook "Likes" in the first 24 hours it was published.

Image Credit: Facebook

The story has hundreds of thousands of people cheering for this particular "human," who became pregnant at age 16, which resulted in her getting kicked out of school and losing the faith and support of family and friends.

Every year, around 615,000 American women between the ages of 15 and 19 get pregnant, and although the pregnancy rate among black teens has decreased greatly in the past two decades, African-American women still have the highest rate of teen pregnancy, according to the Guttmacher Institute. This should surprise few, given research that ties socioecononic inequality — rather than, say promiscuity — to teen pregnancy.

But the story doesn't end there. The teen mom refused to give up, getting a job at a sporting goods store, then as a receptionist at a tax firm where she worker her way up to associate. From there, she was able to move to a new company, where for a pay cut, she was given responsibility over all company books. When the controller left the company, a golden opportunity opened up — with one caveat. We'll let her tell you the rest from here:

"They told me they couldn't officially call me the controller because I didn't have a college degree," she said. "So I finished my degree five months ago — just to make it official! So after having a child at 16, I made it all the way to controller of a company, without even having a college degree. Can you believe that? Honestly, I've been waiting to tell that story so long that I told it to a customer service representative on the phone last week. She was nice about it and pretended to care."

New York has always had a notorious reputation for being a place where you can be surrounded by masses of people yet feel deeply lonely. Even bon vivant Mark Twain wrote about this glaring dichotomy in the mid-19th century (in Letter to San Francisco Alta California, June 5, 1867), noting:

[New York] is a splendid desert — a domed and steepled solitude, where the stranger is lonely in the midst of a million of his race. A man walks his tedious miles through the same interminable street every day, elbowing his way through a buzzing multitude of men, yet never seeing a familiar face, and never seeing a strange one the second time. He visits a friend once — it is a day's journey — and then stays away from that time forward till that friends cools to a mere acquaintance, and finally to a stranger. 

The pressures of New York City are not just a 21st century phenomenon, it seems. And yet they are persistent enough to take note of and, for Stanton, something to make something of. 

HONY began in the summer 2010, with Stanton aiming to "create an exhaustive catalogue of New York City's inhabitants" by photographing 10,000 individuals and plotting their photos on a map of the city on his photo-blog. A few years in, HONY has become a nationwide sensation.

With over 6,000 photos taken and posted on his blog Stanton has rendered the city enchanting through portraits of its inhabitants. This latest story, which taps into some of those most primal of human emotions — survival, ambition, hope — is a testament to New Yorkers' desire to bridge Twain's "splendid desert," celebrating the successes of individuals as a way to create a sense of shared empowerment and community.

Sponsored Links

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:29am
Is it sad that I don't care? There are many resources for Teen moms and single moms. -shrugs. 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:36am
Love to hear stories like this.
Unplanned pregnancy while not ideal does not make you a failure
Fraiche2Death View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraiche2Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:25pm
I kind of feel the same way.

Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Is it sad that I don't care? There are many resources for Teen moms and single moms. -shrugs. 
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:26pm

What are they? Cause I don't get no help with school or financial aid.
iSMILE13 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iSMILE13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:37pm
Congratulations to her!! I understand what it feels like when people have wrote you off......

I'm still writing my story but I can't wait to share it....I have beat all odds!
thewonderfulwa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thewonderfulwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:54pm
Yes I love it.
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:59pm
my other bestie uses the tumblr and introduced me to this humans of new york tumblr (I loved it) as well as some *filth* with black men this past sunday!

Let's just say by the 3rd row of The Tumblr with the black gentlemen, i headed to the sign up pageStern Smile

Re the OP: the best part of it for me was when she said she told a Customer Service rep and the person pretended to care lolol. Im happy for her.

Im aware that it's not "the tumblr" that's why i call it that, bestie dies every time.

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 02 2014 at 1:01pm
Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 1:23pm
It can be done if they person is truly willing to put in the work. 
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Bribby Bribby wrote:

What are they? Cause I don't get no help with school or financial aid.

You are doing it wrong. Have you ever applied for scholarships for single moms? Self sufficiency programs? Ways to work programs? 

There are day care cost programs, wic, food stamps, housing programs etc...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>