Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Friends and Suicide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
beautiful-stranger View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beautiful-stranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friends and Suicide
    Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 9:51am
As a friend, what do you do if someone you consider a best friend tries to commit suicide? 

Do you keep your distance or support them? 
Sponsored Links

iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 9:58am
Tell them there is no hope in this world and that devastation only comes when you are the one giving it, not the receiver. That's the only clinging of any truth/hope/faith there is in this world.
TOUSHA11 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TOUSHA11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:02am
You can try to be there to support them. But do you let someone else bring you down with their own personal issues I say no. Yes it would be terrible to lose a good friend if they commit suicide but you cannot control the choices anyone else makes. You can try to help but once it takes over your life personally you should step back.
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:15am
Best friend? You should already know the answer to this. S/he needs your support and you should be there to lend it. You don't have to come running at his/her every beck and call to the point where it's taxing on your well-being, but check up on the person on a regular basis. If you live near the person, look up some hospitals/psychiatrists in the area and go with him/her. There's only so much you can do, but I don't think the alternative should be doing nothing at all.

The two ppl I consider best friends are an extension of my closest family members and I treat them as such. I don't know the specifics of your friendship, but if you're running when sh*t hits the fan or when s/he's at their lowest, maybe you two aren't best friends after all.
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:15am
I think it's a hard situation and depends. I recently watched a video where this girl said after her attempt, her friends drifted away

I think that's common because people don't know what to do, they think the person is fragile, AND having a close friend attempt suicide is an extremely major event and brings out a lot of emotions, so I understand why ppl would distance themselves

I think at the very least, let her know you love her and you're there if she needs you (if that's genuine). Maybe even ask her if she needs space, encourage her to get help etc

I let my friend come stay with me for a little while after
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 10:20am
Having been in the situation I have to say there is only so much you can do and regardless of the outcome you have to be ready to hold no guilt. Which is easier said than done. Seek a professional in the field. They are best suited and they can give guidance for you and your friend. Taking it on alone is to much for a person who isnt in that mindset to bare. It eats away at you mentally and emotionally.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 11:55am
why would you distance yourself from someone who just tried to kill themselves?

I understand people don't like being bothered sometimes.. but I'd much rather bother a suicidal person and let them know even if nobody else cares that I truly care and I am here for them... than to just back off...

Sometimes people just need to know that someone genuinely understands and cares...

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 12:03pm
of course every situation is different

but if that's your friend and you care about them you should attempt to do something... even if you don't think it will help...

you never know... If it doesn't help at least you can say you tried..
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 12:04pm
Asking the question = automatic keeping your distance.  Its not a best friend, its a tolerable friend unless x,y or z happens. 
beautiful-stranger View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beautiful-stranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 12:08pm
Thanks guys! These responses helped, I guess everyone is different in how they respond to that situation. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic