Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Former Foster Child Beats Odds, UCLA Scholarship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Former Foster Child Beats Odds, UCLA Scholarship

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Former Foster Child Beats Odds, UCLA Scholarship
    Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 2:36am
http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2014/06/former-foster-child-beat-odds-heads-ucla-medical-school-full-scholarship/

Former Foster Child Beat Odds, Heads to UCLA Medical School on Full Scholarship

by Clutch — Jun 17, 2014

Festus Ohan’s life wasn’t a crystal stair.  Abandoned as a child, Ohan grew up being bounced around the foster care system.

“I went to bed in tears crying, praying, asking God ‘why did this happen to me?’” Ohan says. He adds that he can’t recall how many foster parents he went through. Seven, perhaps eight.

“My time in the foster care system was the worst time in my life,” Ohan says, which made school even more difficult.

“Early on in high school, I got in trouble for fighting a lot, and I was in a pre-expulsion contract,” Ohan says.

His dreams of attending medical school were often scoffed at by his foster parents, during a time when he needed their support more than ever.

“Constantly hearing my foster parents throw statistics at me, about there’s only a 1 percent chance that a foster kid will even graduate college, let alone attend professional school, kind of impacted me in a way,” Ohan says.

But Ohan is getting the last laugh. He’s graduated from University of California, Riverside, with a degree in neuroscience, and he’s been accepted to several medical schools all across the country, including Northwestern University, Columbia University, Cornell University, University of California, San Francisco, University of Houston, University of California, Los Angeles, and University of Southern California.

Jan Forrester of UC Riverside says she “felt like a proud parent” upon hearing the news of his acceptance letters, and can still remember the day she met Ohan.

“He had never heard that he could do this before, and you could start to see him start to believe he could be a doctor,” she said.

Ohan says he hopes his story will be an inspiration to other students who may be struggling.

“Never give up, really hold on to your dreams, because as long as you’re able to stick through it and persevere, you will accomplish your goals,” Ohan says.

For Ohan, 22,  the next stop is UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine, with a fellowship that covers all expenses.

“I actually start Aug. 4, so I’ll have like a 6-week break, but I’m excited for the next step in my journey,” Ohan says.

Sponsored Links

bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 2:54am
Clap
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style