Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Forum LockedFor those that only relax their edges.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For those that only relax their edges.....
    Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 7:19pm

Do you have problems with breakage etc when you go back to wearing your own hair? I figured the two textures would cause some styling difficulty as they require two different kinds of care.

Or is this technique best if you plan on wearing weaves long term?

I really want to hear from you ladies as I'm considering doing this for the spring and I don't wanna lose all my edges, lol. I'm a 4a whose hair is trained to a press, but will revert in some humidity, so my weaves start lookin a lil funty (yes, funty) around that 3rd week and you gotta start puttin in a lot of heat, lol. Any insight?
Sponsored Links

qtslim83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 7:26pm
Hi!  I did that for about a year, I relaxed only my edges and the horseshoe, I did this every 2 months or so.  There are a few ladies on this board that do this.  I didn't have a problem going back to wearing my own hair by itself.   In the pic in my siggy, only my edges were relaxed...the rest of my hair was 5-6 post relaxer and no one could tell.  When I was ready to relax my whole head, I took extra care in relaxing (waited 2 weeks before relaxing, based my scalp, touched up the NG only...) 

If you do decide to do this...just remember to be careful!  I would also suggest relaxing the hair you're going to leave out first and then braidng up the rest...

Let me know if you have any questionsSmile

Edited by qtslim83 - Jan 21 2008 at 7:28pm
qtslim83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 7:55pm
^^^You brought up a very good point SamoneTongue!  Make sure to take care of your leave out hair, treat it like it were a fine lace!  Try not to manipulate it too much, especially if you're wearing the weave for  hair growth/retention.  Make sure to keep it moisturized and clean.  I would do a protein treatment on my hair before every install...
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:33pm

Thanks ladies! Great advice. My problem is that my hair is not relaxed at all, so I was worried about the interaction between relaxed and virgin hair. gtslim, you relax the rest of your hair too so maybe its not as bad.

And if I did do this, since it would be the first time chemicals ever touched my hair, is it best that I go to a salon rather then do it at home? Or should I just try a texture softener instead since its less harsh? Ohhh, the dilemmas of hair care......lol

Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:43pm
I would say go to a salon so they can make sure to take care of your edges, because like Samone said it will definitely be thinner than the unrelaxed portion of hair.  I did this and my edges are thinner, not broken off, just thinner than the rest of my hair.  If you're going with some curly hair, then a texturizer or textlaxing your hair would be ideal.  Just make sure to keep it moisturized and deep conditioned and protein treatments.
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:47pm

Honestly, no I dont plan to relax my hair anytime soon. I probably will when I settle down in my career and have a trusted stylist and steady income to maintain my hair, but in the meantime no. I don't think I could handle the upkeep.

I've pressed my hair and gotten good results its just that they don't really last. I've never gotten that really sleek, flawless look. Ionno, maybe I just need to stick to full weaves and leave the dream alone....*sigh*......lol

Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:48pm
So Nichelle, the salon wouldn't look at me crazy, right? LOL. And, I'd have to retouch every 6 weeks, correct?
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 9:43pm

Well, the plan was to wear the relaxed edges out to cover the tracks. I do occasionally press my hair so the hair would be out for that too. Imma ask my stylist tomorrow what she thinks about that, since she'd be the one to flat iron my hair (I do my own weaves).

Thanks for all the help ladies!
Nichelle View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 10:03pm
They shouldn't look at you funny!  LOL  If they do, I probably wouldn't even allow them to wash my hair or style it.  You ever tried Etae products?  Maybe you can do the caramel treatment, blow dry, and it will flat iron out sleeker and last longer until you wash again.  The caramel by no means straightens your hair, but leaves it softer or more moisturized so that when you do blowdry and flatiron it comes out sleeker and smoother and last longer with continued use.
PrettyLA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 10:48pm
I agree with Nichelle. I think you should use a texture softner or "texlax" instead of doing a full blown relaxer.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic