Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

For the Newbies & others-general info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 129>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jamaicancurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jamaicancurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For the Newbies & others-general info
    Posted: Apr 16 2006 at 6:52am

Just thought I would give a little info packet of all the things I've learned-ladies feel free to add or subtract anything

1.Common Abbreviations and terms

NTM-neutrogena triple moisture (great line of products)
WGO-wild growth hair oil
MTG- Shapley's original mane tail groom (shapleys.com)-smelly but aids growth
pre-poo- pre-shampoo treatment where you apply oil(s) to your dry hair and let sit for a while (whatever works for you)
EVOO-extra virgin olive oil (Rachel ray-nah)
EFA- essential fatty acids
co- wash- washing with conditioner instead of shampoo
HTH- hope this helps
IM(H)O- In my (honest) opinion

Popular supplements: GNC horsetail (green bottle 8.99), biotin, Flax oil/EFAs,HF57, MSM (the powder form is the most potent-but is very bitter), multi-vitamins

common advice:
-Start a fotki (online photo album) to track your progress- that way you can see that your hair is growing-even when the mirror says otherwise
-Increase hair washing- I co-wash 6 days and shampoo wash on the 7th
-Deep condition weekly (I do 1hr under a hooded dryer)
-Reduce the heat applied to your hair (I only apply heat when deep conditioning)
-Treat ends with a water based moisturizer (Elasta QP Mango Butter is a fave) and then seal with oil (coconut, jojoba, etc) others use Vitapointe etc.
-Sleep with a satin/silk scarf or sleep cap
-Trim as needed
-Treat with protein, as needed (for severe breakage use Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair every 6 weeks or so, if not so severe use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor)-
-If relaxed, extend the time between relaxers (stretching) if you can, reduces the likelihood of overlapping previously relxed hair-which can lead to breakage
-If you decide to use MTG, massage into scalp daily for optimum results
-Wear you hair so that the ends are protected
-Drink more water (see Phoenix 1017's water calculator post)

Popular oils:
Jojoba, coconut, EVOO, Castor(thickens hair), sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil. Recommended to get the unrefined, organic ones.

Oils to mask MTG smell: Peppermint, lemon, jasmine and other essential oils (Phoenix 1017)

Making new growth softer: mix together water, glycerin (available at your local pharmacy), honey and aloe vera (caramel diva)-for those natural or those stretching relaxers
Recommended viewing
growafrohairlong.com

Finally,
Realize that hair takes a  while to grow, try not to get discouraged. If you do come back here for support. First goal should be healthy hair, length will come after.

Edited by jamaicancurry - Apr 17 2006 at 9:44am
Sponsored Links

Phoenix1017 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2006 at 8:38pm
That is a nice FAQ post you've compiled there.Thumbs Up It will answer lots of questions.

Maybe you could edit in the additions and suggestions that other members add so the other members will only have to look at your first post to get all the info instead of reading the whole post. That will make it faster for them.  Smile

I have something to add BTW, you could include the oils used to mask MTG smell. That gets asked pretty frequently. People use Lemon oil, Peppermint oil, Lavende oil, Orange oil and lots of other essential oils to mask it. I think Peppermint is the most effective.

Edited by Phoenix1017 - Apr 16 2006 at 8:39pm
SouthernFlair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernFlair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2006 at 8:48pm
Hi, I'm new and the FAQ post  is greatly appreciated!!Thumbs Up  Trying to fiqure out the IM(H)O abbrev was killing me!!!
Priestess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priestess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2006 at 10:36pm
Great job, Jamaicancurry.  What a blessing.  Clap
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2006 at 1:17am

Great job, Jamaicancurry.

Some other oils that i use that others may not have heard of: apricot kernel oil, wheatgerm oil( i really like this one),castor oil(can't be without- my #1 staple), vitamin e oil(similar in consitency to castor and growth aid as well), sweet almond oil(great), safflower oil( great for dry hair), palm oil( same consistency as coconut oil and great on my hair- it is what africans used prior to being brought to america as slaves and they still use today although mostly for cooking i am told), coconut oil (great for hair), grapeseed oil (really good on my hair).

Moisturizer for natural or relaxed hair(transitioning or stretching):

lil Glycerin

water

lil honey

liquid aloe vera

That's about all i can contribute at the moment.

Edited by carameldiva - Apr 17 2006 at 1:20am
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2006 at 3:16am
Thanks Jamaicancurry,  I am new here, and I am also from Jamaica, Spanish Town, St. Catherine.

Edited by Claudie - Apr 18 2010 at 6:42pm
candies View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2006 at 7:52am

Hi, I'm new to this forum as well. 

Thanks for your post, hopefully by the beginning of May I would've formualted a regime, gotten the products and finally get started!

jamaicancurry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicancurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2006 at 9:43am
No problem ladiesSmile.

Claudie, hi I'm from Mandeville. I have a friend that went to St. Jago
haitiangoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haitiangoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2006 at 12:50pm
thank you so much for this list. I am very new to this and it is helping a lot. I was reading through all of these forums and i had to order MTG. I just started using WGO and my hair is so soft and manageable.
MsTaurus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsTaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2006 at 4:13pm

Where are ya'll getting these essential oils from (i.e. peppermint, jasmine, rosemary. etc..) Can I get them from a regular grocery store, or in a BSS? I went to Sally's this weekend and they had no idea what i was talking about. I just got my MTG in the mail this weekend and used it w/o adding anything to mask the smell...I was soo scared to get near anyone since the smell was sooo horrendous (sp?)Dead...and plus i think i put too much of it on my hair. Anyways...where can I purchase these eseential oils??

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 129>
  Share Topic