Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Food Stamps for fast food ? Agree or disagree?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair
 

Food Stamps for fast food ? Agree or disagree?

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream



Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 241477
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:09pm
yep good point nj!
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 02 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 97464
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I get your point maysay.  But from what I most families receiving fs are working poor. They have jobs. They just need some help. So standing in a line every single day just doesn't seem reasonable. And having the government dictate what they have to eat instead of giving them the option of purchasing their own food just seems kind of degrading to me.  


Well, they wouldn't be standing in line every day. They'd be going to pick up a to go box of food, breakfast and lunch. Though ideally it would be box of real whole foods, not prepared meals.

The summer lunch programs here already provide food in a to-go manner. It's easy and fast so I know it can be done.

Being hungry is degrading. Eating food from the trash is degrading. Begging people for food is degrading. All of which I've done. Standing in a line and being given some food other people chose, not degrading at all. Not my favorite option, but not degrading.
Back to Top
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 02 2011
Status: Online
Points: 43103
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:11pm
I remember the gov't cheese lines too TC. That was way back in the day. That cheese weighed like 20lbs and  was good as hell though. I remember the plain white cans and boxes of usda foods with the black letters. They had powdered eggs, cannned pork, beans and some other things I can't remember. 
Back to Top
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2010
Location: SC
Status: Offline
Points: 290777
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:11pm
I think this gives SNAP recipients some flexibity .
Ideally we want ppl cooking healthy meals but there are certain occasional instances that prevents that.
 
I see why this is warranted.
Back to Top
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 02 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 97464
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:16pm
If a person is so disabled that they can't leave their house, carry groceries, or warm up food in a microwave...and they also have no caretaker to do it for them..then we've seriously failed them as a society if the only option to feed them is to allow them to order pizza from domino's and chinese food.
Back to Top
NJHairLuv View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Dec 14 2013
Location: Shady Lane
Status: Offline
Points: 42867
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


okay so we asked about fast food in the study (he even mentioned cali) but he didn't remember the results....I'll keep digging

.........we asked how often and how much did they spend on fast food

only found information for the control group, less than 10% reported eating one of their daily meals away from home at a fast food restaurant

Thank you for checking. I love to know data on this. Thumbs Up
Back to Top
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 241477
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I remember the gov't cheese lines too TC. That was way back in the day. That cheese weighed like 20lbs and  was good as hell though. I remember the plain white cans and boxes of usda foods with the black letters. They had powdered eggs, cannned pork, beans and some other things I can't remember. 
 
yep yep.  powdered milk too i think...
 
that cheese made the best.com grilled cheese sammiches!
Back to Top
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 12 2010
Location: SC
Status: Offline
Points: 290777
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

If a person is so disabled that they can't leave their house, carry groceries, or warm up food in a microwave...and they also have no caretaker to do it for them..then we've seriously failed them as a society if the only option to feed them is to allow them to order pizza from domino's and chinese food.
 
that's not the only fast food options tho...and if they wanted that every now and then...i don't care...
IA
Back to Top
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 08 2006
Location: southside holla
Status: Offline
Points: 241477
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

If a person is so disabled that they can't leave their house, carry groceries, or warm up food in a microwave...and they also have no caretaker to do it for them..then we've seriously failed them as a society if the only option to feed them is to allow them to order pizza from domino's and chinese food.
 
that's not the only fast food options tho...and if they wanted that every now and then...i don't care...
Back to Top
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 02 2011
Status: Online
Points: 43103
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I get your point maysay.  But from what I most families receiving fs are working poor. They have jobs. They just need some help. So standing in a line every single day just doesn't seem reasonable. And having the government dictate what they have to eat instead of giving them the option of purchasing their own food just seems kind of degrading to me.  


Well, they wouldn't be standing in line every day. They'd be going to pick up a to go box of food, breakfast and lunch. Though ideally it would be box of real whole foods, not prepared meals.

The summer lunch programs here already provide food in a to-go manner. It's easy and fast so I know it can be done.

Being hungry is degrading. Eating food from the trash is degrading. Begging people for food is degrading. All of which I've done. Standing in a line and being given some food other people chose, not degrading at all. Not my favorite option, but not degrading.

Point taken. I just feel like putting funds on a card is more convenient. But of course if there were no other options then I'm sure people would stand in those lines to feed their families. I would if I had to. But right now we have a system that works for those in need who aren't abusing it and buying beer and non food items. 

OAN I always appreciate your honesty about things that you have been through.
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down