Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Food Stamps for fast food ? Agree or disagree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

basically the study said that the benefits helped the lower income families eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and dairy and drank fewer sugary beverages

so the program was doing what it was supposed to

sorry, this may not be relevant to this thread at all lol
it does. They should focus on making them available at most farmers markets

You can use EBT at all of the vendors that are registered to accept EBT here. You can use EBT at the organic grocery stores here too.

Yeah I was gonna say that. The whole foods, bj's(wholesale clubs), costco, farmers markets etc all accept ebt here. I just never heard of fast food joints doing it.
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:04pm
I know one of the proposed ideas was to double the value of dollars if spent on vegetables and fruit. Which is good, even though those things are very low calorie. I think it'd be better if they expanded it to include whole foods like rice, beans, and meat.

I also think receiving SNAP should require a mandatory class on grocery shopping and food preparation. And recipients should be given or allowed to buy helpful cooking tools like crockpots, rice cookers, and good knives.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:07pm
This girl I used to work with told me about this seafood carryout that accepts ebt. They have raw and cooked seafood. So what they do is ring you up like you purchased raw food and then they cook it for you for "free". The wharf does this also.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I think that idea would be almost impossible to work maysay. People have so many different types of diets. Its easier to let people go to the grocery store and buy their own food that they prefer to eat. Who wants to be forced to stand in a food line everyday?

i agree. plus the issue of access. it is a reality that a person with physical and or mental handicaps that are eligible for ssi disability income as their sole income may not have a car and may not have the capacity to carry groceries and get bags of food back home and cook so it is a matter of survival for some people to have access to pre-prepared food.

I personally know a few transient people (homeless due to mental illness and drift from friend's couch to homeless shelters to living on the street).  I was talking to one of them on Friday and it is a reality that you can not just buy a big ole bag of groceries with ebt to make a meal when you are living on the streets 90% of the time. A soup kitchen is the 1st option for a relatively decent meal for the people that I know, but they can not always fill their belly off a cup of oatmeal and the 1 link of italian sausage at the soup kitchen. Food pantries are everywhere here but a bag of raw chicken isnt going to help a homeless person. The fast food EBT access will save lives, especially for homeless people with children.

Edited by NJHairLuv - Jun 16 2014 at 1:13pm
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:09pm
yep good point nj!
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I get your point maysay.  But from what I most families receiving fs are working poor. They have jobs. They just need some help. So standing in a line every single day just doesn't seem reasonable. And having the government dictate what they have to eat instead of giving them the option of purchasing their own food just seems kind of degrading to me.  

Well, they wouldn't be standing in line every day. They'd be going to pick up a to go box of food, breakfast and lunch. Though ideally it would be box of real whole foods, not prepared meals.

The summer lunch programs here already provide food in a to-go manner. It's easy and fast so I know it can be done.

Being hungry is degrading. Eating food from the trash is degrading. Begging people for food is degrading. All of which I've done. Standing in a line and being given some food other people chose, not degrading at all. Not my favorite option, but not degrading.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:11pm
I remember the gov't cheese lines too TC. That was way back in the day. That cheese weighed like 20lbs and  was good as hell though. I remember the plain white cans and boxes of usda foods with the black letters. They had powdered eggs, cannned pork, beans and some other things I can't remember. 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:11pm
I think this gives SNAP recipients some flexibity .
Ideally we want ppl cooking healthy meals but there are certain occasional instances that prevents that.

I see why this is warranted.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:16pm
If a person is so disabled that they can't leave their house, carry groceries, or warm up food in a microwave...and they also have no caretaker to do it for them..then we've seriously failed them as a society if the only option to feed them is to allow them to order pizza from domino's and chinese food.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

okay so we asked about fast food in the study (he even mentioned cali) but he didn't remember the results....I'll keep digging

.........we asked how often and how much did they spend on fast food

only found information for the control group, less than 10% reported eating one of their daily meals away from home at a fast food restaurant

Thank you for checking. I love to know data on this. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
  Share Topic