Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Sunshine_One View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flexi-rod Set Help
    Posted: Jul 31 2004 at 11:39pm

Can anyone recommend a Salon in the Washington, DC area that does flexi-rod sets? 

It's hot and humid here and my roots need a break from the blow dryer.

Also, if you know of a Natural hair care salon that does them i'd be interested in that too.  I'm thinking of completely transitioning out of mild relaxing but I dont want to cut off my length.  I'm thinking a Natural hair care salon could help me tranisition this...let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your help!

Sun

Edited by Sunshine_One
Sponsored Links

locs4ever_deleted View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2004 at 10:04pm
jluv View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2004 at 3:58am

If you can't find anyone, you can do them yourself.  It's time consuming, but so is sitting in the salon and having them do it.  If you have two mirrors so you can see the back of your hair, AND a bonnet or overhead dryer, you can do it. It takes 1-1.5 hours to put them in yourself if you want them to look like a straw set, but imagine how long you will be in the hair dresser. 

I use the mint colored ones which are small, but I would like to try the smaller purple ones on the top of my head and front of my head because they are closer to straw size.  I noticed that the tighter you roll the hair onto the rods, meaning the less space you leave in between the spirals, the longer the curls last.  I use a setting lotion by Fantasia that comes in a brown bottle, doesn't have alcohol and is for a stiffer set.  I have also used Vavoom mouse which is for a stiff set as well. 

If you use soak the hair with either of these, one row at a time vs. each strand,  you use the 1/2 inch parts and put end paper on each strand, it should be perfect after you sit under the dryer.  It takes about 45-1 hr to dry, but it's worth it because all you have to do is throw a bonnet on your head at night. 

If they look too tight, I put a little bit of the setting lotion, or mousse on my finger and pull the curl out a bit.To be on the safe side, 10 packs of rollers or more should do it.

Edited by jluv

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 10:53am

Hi Jluv,

Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time to respond to my post.   Girl, truth be told...just thinking about trying to that type of set on my own is exhausting...lol 

I am so out of practice with setting my own hair and I get frustrated when I spend all that time and doesn't come out right and I end up with a clean well conditioned ponytail.  LOL I have to laugh at myself sometimes.

I'm going to continue to search for a salon and think about starting to do my hair more at myself at home.  I actually have flexi-rods already I think I bought them back in June.  For someone that goes to the salon regulary I have lots of hair stuff stashed at home. 

I'll let you know how it goes. 

Thanks again!

Sun

luvlonghair_deleted View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 11:09am

Jluv and/or Sunshine, can you tell me where I can buy these rods in bulk or in bigger packs?  Where I live I can only find them with about 7 or 8 in each pack and their about $3.00 each.  So 10 packs would come up to about $35 including tax.  Is this the normal price everyone is paying for these rods, if so, I guess I'm going to have to deal with this price. 

I was trying to let go the PJ in me, but every time I try, it takes over me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 12:53pm

I now that's right!!!! Refering to the PJ thing

I bought about 4 packs diff sizes and that is about the average price.  I think some of mine were 2.99 etc.  I did'nt think the price was bad.  But price is relative to one's budget and that varies at least it does for me! LOL

Sun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 12:59pm

Yeah, the price isn't bad, but when you need a lot of packs, it adds up.  I was trying to curb my spending on hair products/accessories, but oh well, guess I have to go "shopping"  My #1 thing to do.  Wow, I'm really losing it!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 1:14pm

Nah your not losing it!.....Shopping is my thing too. LOL

Tell why do you need so many packs?  Are you doing a Straw set?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Sunshine_One Sunshine_One wrote:

Nah your not losing it!.....Shopping is my thing too. LOL

Tell why do you need so many packs?  Are you doing a Straw set?

Yes I will be doing a straw set. I've been wanting to try this when my roots start getting out of control. Push come to shove, I'll just buy some straws  What other hairstyles can I do with theses rods other than straw sets? 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2004 at 3:47pm

Regular Spiral sets I would think.  Actually I don't think i'd like the straw set on my hair because the curls are way too small.  I like my curls to be fat and voluminous....lol.  I'm hoping I can achieve that with the flexi rods I only bought one pack on the skinner rods. I bought 2 packs each of the medium and large.  I hope I can find some extra large. 

The look I'm going for is the Tracey Ellis Ross (Girlfriends) and Kelis curly styles.

I'd like that to be my daily style. So we shall see how it goes!.

Oh, I made an appointment at a Natural Hair care salon in Silver Spring, MD (Jaha's) for a  (the stylist recommended)  2 strand twist and rod set.  So you know I'm going to bring in a pic of the look i'm  trying to achieve and explain to them exactly what I want. LOL  I'm really good at communicating what I WANT to stylists.  I pray they understand that I don't mean any harm but I've learned the hard way that you have to tell them EXACTLY what you want and how to handle YOUR hair.  I know you can feel me on this!

I'll post on how it goes.

Edited by Sunshine_One
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic