BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Ironing this Winter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 9:50am
^^louel, what temp did you flat iron on?

and do any of you see problems with wearing scarves, hats, heavy coats, and your flat ironed hair...or do you just wear it in updos/protective styles?  [assuming you live in cold climates]

i am thinking of flat ironing, but not until the late spring so that i can avoid the above and wear my hair down....so am interested in hearing thoughts.
Sponsored Links

Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 10:14am
My Ga.Ma flat iron only has one setting. I believe its 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

I eat healthy, I drink a lot of water, I moisturize my hair, I seal in the moister, and I take good care of it overall. On the flip side, I dont worry to much about my hair touching my clothes or anything else. My hair is now passed waist length when I pull it down, and its a little passed my shoulders when I wear it curly. Either way, it touches my clothes when I don't put it up in a protective style, and I'm ok with that. I would wear my hair out on some days, and on others I would wear a side braid or an up do. 
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 10:55am
^ got it! thx!
Scarletphoenix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletphoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 7:00pm
Great advice!! I just flat ironed my hair for the first time since my third BC...I am incorporating some of these suggestions!
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

You might wanna look into dreaded hair grease to help prevent reversion.  I saw a link downstairs in the pressing forum.

I second grease when it comes to combating reversion. When I was a press n curl girl, my Momma used grease. It wasn't alot- maybe meidum sized amount- was used throught my head. The press lasted for two weeks-prolly could have lasted longer, but the scalp wasn't feelin it.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

and do any of you see problems with wearing scarves, hats, heavy coats, and your flat ironed hair...or do you just wear it in updos/protective styles?  [assuming you live in cold climates]

i am thinking of flat ironing, but not until the late spring so that i can avoid the above and wear my hair down....so am interested in hearing thoughts.

Heavy, I usually don't have any issues with scarves, hats, and heavy coats with my straight and/or flatironed hair. When I say issues, I mean like drying out my hair/ends, or snap, crackle, pop. Now, my hair gets caught more. But, that's it.
dayumash93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dayumash93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:12pm
I think I'm going to be doing this for winter, maybe even take the time to practice my vintage hairstyles.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2012 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Louel Louel wrote:

I'm thinking about doing the same thing... I will be flat ironing once a month, maintain the style as long as possible, and wear it curly the remainder of the time. 

I flat ironed my hair 3 weeks ago, and I was able to maintain the hairstyle for 2 weeks. Could have maintained longer if my scalp would have agreed with it. 

I clarified my scalp and deep conditioned the night before. I rinsed my hair the day I flat ironed and put nothing but a small amount chi silk infusion in it. I first blow dried, but I might skip that step next time to minimize the manipulation and heat, while setting my hair in a few braids the night before. I flat ironed using the chasing method (with a brush), and I only took one swipe. 

I maintained the hairstyle by setting my hair with olive oil (coconut oil would be good too, since it really penetrates the hair shaft) every night, and I intend to do that again next time I flat iron.

Have to say that my hair felt softer then it ever did before when I finally washed it again. My curls all reverted back, and my hair looks really healthy.

This was my first time flat ironing since going natural (almost 4.5 years ago), so I can't say how this would work on the long run... but: so far so good. I actually feel like I was taking better care of my hair while it was straight, simply because it was more fun and easier to care for.

Hey Louel!!!! Your flat ironing routine seems tres simple! The last sentence of your post is the complete opposite for me. I feel like I have no clue how to properly take care of my hair straight. So, this Fall/Winter, I'm trying to get to know her and treat her well in her straight state. 
Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:21am
Hey  luv,

You might want to check out Sistawithrealhair on YouTube to get more tips on how to maintain your flat ironed hair. She maintains her straight hair for 30 days. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/SistaWithRealHair
Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 7:17am
I had to come back to this topic to share my new insights. With my last flat ironing session at the end of last month, my hair turned in to split end mania. I used the search and destroy method to fix the problem, but I did come to the realization that my hair can't handle heat once a month after all.. 
I'm now planning to leave the flat iron alone till June or so. I might still flat iron a few times this year, but I want to grow my hair to tailbone length this year so I can't do it too often. I find that while flat ironing I just have to dust more often. When I dont flat iron I dont even dust more than once a year. 

Conclusion: the flat iron hasnt altered my curl pattern so far, but it did deteriorate the quality of my ends.

This is what my hair looked like after my last flat ironing session

This is what my hair looked like 2 weeks later (no touch ups)

This is what my hair looked like after I washed it again (curls still in tact)

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>