Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flat Ironing this Winter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
Belladva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat Ironing this Winter
    Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 1:57pm
I have decided to flat iron my hair this winter. What is the best way to prevent breakage and keep hair moisturized?
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 9:27pm
Hey there! I'm thinking of incoporating the flatiron to my Fall/Winetr routin as well. I know that since I usually only use heat 1-2 xs a year and now increasing my usage has definitely made me rethink what my hair needs to stay strong and moisturized.

I would suggest a light protein (with a moisturizing element) product that you could use 2xs a week. Note: only if you know that your hair can handle protein(even if its light). Make sure that you keep that moisture/protein in check. Above all- listen to that hair of  yours. Give it what it needs. My hair even when its in GREAT shape, tends to err on the dry side. So, I know I need moisture, but I know she likes protein too. So, I give her light amounts almost daily bc most of my products contain some form of light protein.

Although, I'm incorporating heat- it won't be excessive. I'll be semi-straightening by stretching my hair via banding and then flatironing.
Belladva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 11:29am
This is will be my routine for the winter. Right now I am at armpit length and I do not want to have any set backs.

Wash my hair weekly
Oil my scalp every other day
During wash days I will steam my hair for an 1 hour with Miracle 7 deep conditioner
Giovanni leave in conditioner, seal with coconut oil or olive oil, Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, then flat iron
Nutress potein treatment every two weeks.
luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 6:44pm
Sounds like you have moisture and protien in check! Is it working for ya? If so, don't mess with it. I have found that you don't have to make HUGE changes in your regi to garner MAXIMUM results. Plus, when you change one or two things, it easier to assess if it worked or not. IJSWink.

I think that for me I need to find a product that will not revert my hair IMMEJIDATELY (yes, I know I spelled it incorrectly) I did so purosefully bc I need yall to 'feel' me. But, I need mositurization in my life when she is straight. If i wanna do this straight natural for the colder months, I need to learn this hair straight and be able to maintain w/o harm. My hair is a breeze to take care of naturally. But, I'm somewhat clueless to her straight.

So, for the EOTY in to the NY(and beyond), I'm going to learn how to deal with Cleo in a semi to straight manner with banding, minimal heat, and minimal usage of heat. The ssk's are getting on my nerves. So, I'm re- assessing my regimen for the colder months. These things are annoying! Gotta go. So, I think mild/ minimal heat will help(amongst other things). 
Belladva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 7:09pm
This is the first time I am wearing my hair out so I wanted to make sure I get a good balence of moisture and protein.  This is the first time I am using this routine so I hope it works!!! I have not found a mositurizer that will not make my hair revert Cry.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 7:30pm
Thank you for making a topic on this belladiva. Just in time for the cold weather season.

I feel ya Luv lol. I want to know how to keep hair moisturized once I apply heat without reversion too!

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 8:27pm
You might wanna look into dreaded hair grease to help prevent reversion.  I saw a link downstairs in the pressing forum.
chinadoll77 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chinadoll77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 4:06am
I use the Paul Mitchell super skinny serum,it keeps mine in check,I also use the kera care silken product,hope that helps someone..
Belladva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 10:31am
Thanks ChinaDoll.
Louel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 9:30am
I'm thinking about doing the same thing... I will be flat ironing once a month, maintain the style as long as possible, and wear it curly the remainder of the time. 

I flat ironed my hair 3 weeks ago, and I was able to maintain the hairstyle for 2 weeks. Could have maintained longer if my scalp would have agreed with it. 

I clarified my scalp and deep conditioned the night before. I rinsed my hair the day I flat ironed and put nothing but a small amount chi silk infusion in it. I first blow dried, but I might skip that step next time to minimize the manipulation and heat, while setting my hair in a few braids the night before. I flat ironed using the chasing method (with a brush), and I only took one swipe. 

I maintained the hairstyle by setting my hair with olive oil (coconut oil would be good too, since it really penetrates the hair shaft) every night, and I intend to do that again next time I flat iron.

Have to say that my hair felt softer then it ever did before when I finally washed it again. My curls all reverted back, and my hair looks really healthy.

This was my first time flat ironing since going natural (almost 4.5 years ago), so I can't say how this would work on the long run... but: so far so good. I actually feel like I was taking better care of my hair while it was straight, simply because it was more fun and easier to care for.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style