Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Pressing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Flat Ironing Routine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
2bBsL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bBsL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2011 at 8:23pm
sammiboo, that video is marked private
and thanks yoursopretty
im going to try and straighten my hair (again) this or next weekend.
i got a paddle brush, so well see how it goes.
Sponsored Links

Bijoux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bijoux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2011 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Blessed One Blessed One wrote:

I have been pressing my hair for years but I would like to try flat ironing it.  When I attempted to flat iron it some months ago, it didn't go very well.  I noticed that when I press my hair and perhaps need a touch up, I love how straight and flowing the flat iron makes my hair with Beyond Straight heat protector but when I try to flat iron it after it dries from washing and conditioning, it doesn't come out good.  What do you guys do?  Do you blow dry, lightly press first, or what for optimal flat ironing results?  My routine is Nexxus shampoo, Pantene Relaxed and Natural conditioner (30 minutes), Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in, sealed with castor and olive oil.  Thanks in advance!
I use Silicon Mix shampoo and conditioner by Avanti  (clarify every 4 washes by mixing baking soda with shampoo--to get rid of the buildup).  I love the way this product detangles and makes my hair feel over all. (I don't use products on my hair besides these accept coconut oil as a hot oil treatment as needed before washes.) Section off hair into 4 sections. To dry I use hood dryer or diffuser attachment on Chi blow dryer. Once dry I use comb attachment briefly to quickly relax the frizz.  I use Chi or fhi iron--i make parts about a 1/2 inch to 1inch thick and focus mainly on the roots(hit the roots like 3 times.  Then with a very small tooth rat tail comb to help straighten, I scoop the lock of hair and follow the comb through my hair to the ends with the flat iron (once-I don't try to get it bone straight in this step cuz the next step does that).  Then I go back and silken my hair by curling it with the flat iron taking larger sections of hair.  (check out some You Tube videos on curling or silkening with flat iron) This curling technique gets my hair super silky in a way that simple flat ironing with the comb doesn't achieve. If I want the curly look I rock those--But if you want the straight look wrap it immediately after curling it for about an hour to relax them.  I know this curl step may seem like an extra step but by day two (wrapping it overnight) you'll have completely straight ultra silky hair(provided you don't live in humid climates) You can't beat the silky full-of-body results you get from the ceramic flat iron curl. Smile
redbone94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbone94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2011 at 6:44pm
I've been wearing my hair natural, but I want to start getting it press. How often should I get it pressed so my hair can be tamed in looking straight? Should I press it with no products or with products?
SimplisticLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplisticLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2011 at 9:07am
When you ladies flat iron or press your hair how high do you have your flat iron (what heat temp) ?
lakisha87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2011 at 12:57pm
I flat iron on 300 in one pass my hair be bone straight i use 

Solia Tourmaline Ceramic Ion Flat Iron 

AgotBluvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgotBluvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2011 at 8:45pm
I do blow dry my hair first before flat ironing. It goes well and its part of my routine now before i go out for work.
hairliberator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairliberator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 6:47pm
Has anyone tried natural hair softeners?
Angus71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angus71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 6:07am

It is best not to make flat ironing a daily routine as it does cause hair breakage. Overtime you may even notice your hair becoming shorter if the breakage is severe. Also the alcohol and acids in hairspray can be harsh on your hair as well.
However, if you insist upon a hair straightening routine I would recommend a rotating flat iron that distributes heat evenly, and anti breakage hair serum before you begin the straightening process. I believe dove has a breakage repair deep conditioning product on the market as well.
You may even try wrapping your hair at night after it is pressed to maintain the straightness for a few days rather than pressing on a daily basis. If you don't know how to wrap your hair, you can type in "how to wrap my hair" on YouTube for instructions. Hope this helps!

hairliberator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairliberator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 6:54pm
I have a press creme, that I think is exceptional. I would love to send out some free samples for an online review. while supplies last!
Febrity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febrity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 6:58am
I like your post.............
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
  Share Topic