BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Pressing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Flat Ironing Routine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blessed One View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blessed One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat Ironing Routine
    Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 9:47pm
I have been pressing my hair for years but I would like to try flat ironing it.  When I attempted to flat iron it some months ago, it didn't go very well.  I noticed that when I press my hair and perhaps need a touch up, I love how straight and flowing the flat iron makes my hair with Beyond Straight heat protector but when I try to flat iron it after it dries from washing and conditioning, it doesn't come out good.  What do you guys do?  Do you blow dry, lightly press first, or what for optimal flat ironing results?  My routine is Nexxus shampoo, Pantene Relaxed and Natural conditioner (30 minutes), Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in, sealed with castor and olive oil.  Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

LPGURL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LPGURL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 9:56pm
For my daughter who has BSL length, I wash, condition, leave-in/thermal protector, and blow dry it extremely straight.  Next I flat iron and use a pressing comb on the edges.  I do often times, alternate between a pressing comb and a  flat iron.  Make double sure you almost get the desired straightness after your blow drying.  That is key!
mslitta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslitta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 1:07am
when i flat iron my hair i get great results in the front but in the back where i can barely see i neglect it. so for to press my hair and then go over it with a flat iron to get the silkier look. i follow up by wrapping my hair and when i un wrap it my hair is super straight. Also I blowdry my hair very straight otherwise if i try to air dry and then press i will be in pain. I have lots of hair.
mrsfredcaples View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsfredcaples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 3:04pm
I blow dry with kemi oyl. Then I flat iron my hair. This works for me. My hair is thick and long. Hope this helps. My hubby loves running his hands over my hair. [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by mrsfredcaples - Jun 23 2007 at 3:07pm
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 7:37pm
After i wash my own hair i let it sit for a little, then comb through it with my comb, then after I use a blow dryer that has the comb piece attached to it. Then I use the flat iron (with a heat protecting product), but I section off my hair into parts when i use the flat iron. Next, i press it myself, i try not to use the pressing comb that much, I just get the parts that the flat iron didnt get. But then i go over it with a curling iron. But i know what u mean about how after u wash it, the flat iron doesnt give u that straight flowing hair. With my hair I have to flat iron it again in the next couple of days, because then my hair sort of settles down into a pattern. I try not to flat iron it too much (heat damage), just sometimes doing it once doesnt work for me, thats why i wait and do it one more time in the week and then no more.

Edited by indiecat - Jun 23 2007 at 7:38pm
sweetjade0327 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetjade0327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2007 at 12:26am
my routine is pretty simple. i wash with precise & herbal essences shampoo...LOL...luv that stuff, both are mixed together. then i condition with coconut cond, herbal essence cond, motions cond & porosity control all mixed together in this tub and let sit for ten mins, then wash. i section my hair in two, add a little profective cream to my scalp & hair along w/beyond straight heat protectant & blow dry w/my hot air brush. then flat iron my hair in small sections.

Edited by sweetjade0327 - Jun 26 2007 at 12:26am
StrayFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2007 at 9:11am

Lets keep this thread going with more info from pressing pro's. I rarely leave my hair out long enough, i look forward to the day i won't have to wear braids. So i need more ideas. Thanks for those contributing.

socialite101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socialite101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2007 at 3:58pm
I wash my hair with Creme of Nature then condition with Parnevu. I then apply generous amounts of Parnevu tea-Tree Leave In Conditioner to my wet hair, comb and detangle it and part it it into small sections.
Then I do a thorough blow dry, section by section, and get it as straight as possible. That is definitely the key to a good press, as mentioned before.
Next, I start at the bottom and press my hair in tiny pieces, using no product. Yes, no product.
Then, I go back through my hair and flat iron it with a small ceramic.
Then wrap.
That's it. By using no product, my hair bounces and blows in the wind, has tons of body and is healthy-looking and fluffy with natural shine.  the only product I ever put in my hair besides the initial leave-in conditioner is a little wax to make my edges lay down well.
Some may think I am crazy, but my natural hair can take the heat of a hot comb and iron, and the no product thing really makes for beautiful, alive hair.
I get soo many compliments on my hair from people.  They really notice the difference:)
kmbrri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmbrri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2007 at 7:51pm
Thanks Socialite!
I am going to try this right now.  I am going to use moisture lotion while blow drying because my hair is so dry from my relaxer.  I will definitely benefit from your advise about a thorough, sectioned blow dry.  My hair is super thick.  My mom used to get angry everytime she had to do my hair.  Lol.  She'd be all day on my head.  Now I have to spend all day on it.  She was right about how much trouble it takes to make it lay down right. 
P.S.  (your hair is tight and fresh)
StrayFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StrayFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2007 at 8:54pm
Wow socialite! no products? how about heat protectors?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>