Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FL GOP Plan To Add New Law - Fails like the State
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedFL GOP Plan To Add New Law - Fails like the State

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
tantoine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: FL GOP Plan To Add New Law - Fails like the State
    Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:07am
Florida --- CryCry Never content to let another state keep it's Faildom is hoping to implement Arizona's Immigration law. Boooooooo, when can I move? Not before I choose NOT to vote for Rick Scott or Bill McCollum in November.

Originally posted by Tampa Bay Times Tampa Bay Times wrote:

GOP wants to copy Arizona law

Bill’s sponsor claims proposal would protect undocumented immigrants.

By Cristina Silva

csilva@tampabay.com

Florida Republican leaders are crafting anti-illegal-immigrant legislation modeled after an Arizona law that has incited widespread protests and fueled national and international debate over U.S. immigration policies. Under the proposed bill, police would have broad power under state law to ask suspects for proof of legal residency, said Rep. William Snyder, a Republican from Stuart who plans to introduce the legislation in November. “We have significant components from the Arizona bill that I plan to incorporate,” he said. “We have the beginnings
of it.” The effort, which would be filed for consideration during the March legislative session, is already drawing broad support within the GOP.

In an election year shaped by anti-incumbency sentiment, majority leaders in the Florida Senate and House said a new approach is needed to address the federal government’s failure to temper illegal immigration.

The effort has the backing of both leading Republican gubernatorial candidates — businessman Rick Scott and Attorney General Bill McCollum.

In fact, McCollum’s office is helping to draft the bill.

Snyder, a former police officer, said the proposed legislation is needed to protect undocumented immigrants,
who are vulnerable to abusive employers and violent criminals.

“This is a human right issue,” he said. “They don’t enjoy the same rights and privileges that you and I do. The solution is to enforce the laws that currently exist and to discourage people from coming here to ‘find a better life’ when in fact they just come here and are victimized .”Ermm

Immigrant advocates and Hispanic lawmakers alike called the measure an unconstitutional assault on minority communities.

“The reaction is, ‘What? This is ridiculous,’ ” said Neelofer Syed, a Tampa immigration lawyer who hails from Pakistan. “It is supposed to be that you are legal until you are proven guilty. This law is like, ‘We think you are guilty unless you establish that you are innocent.’” Civil rights groups such as the American Civil Liberties Union have filed legal challenges to Arizona’s legislation, and President Barack Obama’s administration is expected to follow suit.

Critics questioned why Florida lawmakers would consider replicating Arizona’s untested immigration strategy while legal challenges are pending .

“Rep. Snyder’s proposal solves nothing , exploits public concern over immigration and just creates new problems,” said Howard Simon, executive director of ACLU Florida.

The tension has become a rallying point for candidates on both sides of the political spectrum. Democratic gubernatorial candidate Alex Sink has highlighted her Republican opponents’ support of the law in stump speeches. “She was opposed to the law in Arizona,’’ said campaign spokeswoman Kyra Jennings. “She believes it unfairly discriminated against American citizens. She would veto that type of legislation.”

Championing tougher immigration laws is a risky election strategy, said George Gonzalez, a University of Miami political science professor.

“It is a way to channel people’s anger and frustration about the labor market onto a group and to take advantage of it, too,” he said.

But it could anger Hispanic voters as well, Gonzalez said.

“None of this is foolproof,” he said. “It could blow up in the Republicans’ faces either way.”

His law would be refined, Snyder said, because it would only allow law enforcement officials to inquire about immigration status during a potential arrest or traffic violation. In Arizona, officers are required to request legal documentation during any lawful stop if “reasonable suspicion” exists.

Coming up with the precise language will be diffic lt, conceded Snyder, who recently defended his views on Fox News. “‘Reasonable suspicion’ makes people nervous,” he said.

Sponsored Links

Lick3Shots View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:10am
How da hell they gonna do dat in Florida? FLORIDA?!
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:44am
lol florida's population isn't like arizona's id like to see them try. i think this would be political suicide. 
juicygyrl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:45am
I would like to see all 50 states plus DC jump on this. If I travel to another country illegally what do you think would happen to me.
Or I wish E-VERIFY would become mandatory for all business. Period
Im_A_Diva View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 9:46am
Yep I heard about this. I want to move as well but not because of this only.
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:28am
most interesting thread on the first page and only 4 replies

slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:30am
so send them back to live in poverty because they don't have the rights of protected citizens? yeah no.
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by slayfresh slayfresh wrote:

so send them back to live in poverty because they don't have the rights of protected citizens? yeah no.

i doubt this applies to cubans, that would be gangsta.
Lick3Shots View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

Originally posted by slayfresh slayfresh wrote:

i doubt this applies to cubans, that would be gangsta.

I'll bet it doesn't! That would not work.

impervious99 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 10:54am
They will fail miserably......there are WAY too much hispanic influence in Fl for them to pull that off.  Yeah, that's political suicide to attempt that....and all the high profile businesses that operate in florida....too many possible boycotts that would cripple companies.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic