Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First woman of Ethiopian origin becomes 'Miss Isra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

First woman of Ethiopian origin becomes 'Miss Isra

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First woman of Ethiopian origin becomes 'Miss Isra
    Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:34pm
I hope this is not a repost...

Yityish Aynaw, the first woman of Ethiopian origin to be crowned Miss Israel.
Yityish Aynaw, the first woman of Ethiopian origin to be crowned 'Miss Israel'.

On Wednesday, 21-year-old Yityish Aynaw was crowned Miss Israel for 2013. The occasion marked the first time an Ethiopian Israeli had won the national beauty pageant.

Despite the landmark moment, I have to be honest: I was more excited when Pnina Tamano-Shata, a lawyer and member of the Yesh Atid party, was recently elected the first female Ethiopian Member of Knesset.

I am obviously far more into brains than beauty. But not everyone is, and rather than hate on this breakthrough moment for Israeli women of color, it would be far more productive to look at the positives associated with Aynaw’s achievement.

First, the fact that black is finally beautiful in Israel is a big step forward. Aynaw, a shoe store manager from Netanya, could not look more different from many of the pretty faces that have graced Israeli fashion magazines over the years and represented the blue and white on fashion runways around the world. Now, young Israeli girls will know that they don’t need to aspire to be a carbon copy of tall, wavy-haired blond models like Bar Refaeli and Michaela Bercu (who appeared on the cover of Anna Wintour’s first issue of “Vogue”).

The cover of the latest issue of La’Isha, Yediot Ahronoth’s women’s magazine is more of what young Israelis should be — and are — seeing. On it are the four young women who reached the quarter-final round of Israel’s version of “The Voice.” They are a varied bunch. One is a blond Ashkenazi Jew, one a Palestinian citizen of Israel, one aBlack Hebrew Israelite, and one of Sephardic background (Ophir Ben-Shetreet, whose suspension from her religious high school for singing on the show was covered in the Forward).

However, these signs of progress are not contained to the new Miss Israel. I am more interested in seeing what she will do in her role in the future. I hope she will use some of the lessons she learned as an IDF officer to take a stand and speak out on issues of importance, especially full integration of Ethiopians and other minorities into Israeli society. Many young Ethiopians are fighting for a place at the table. Aynaw would do well to reach out a helping hand to those who are relying on strengths other than appearance and charm to rise to the top.

We live in an era when, for better or worse, celebrity is power. I hope Aynaw uses her newfound celebrity well. She said during the pageant that she admired the great American civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but she was also quoted as saying that she aspires to be a model and perhaps the Israeli Tyra Banks. I hope she’s more interested in emulating Banks’ philanthropic efforts to empower girls than her Victoria’s Secret photo spreads. Only time will tell.

Read more: http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-blog/172032/first-ethiopian-israeli-wins-miss-israel/#ixzz2MERKwIYs

Miss Israel, Yityish Aynaw

First Ethiopian-Israeli Wins Miss Israel

Sponsored Links

loveandpeace1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote loveandpeace1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:36pm
A small win for the real Israelites
SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:37pm
She doesn't look Ethiopian to me, but I'm no expert. She looks "reglah black."
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:37pm
Yityish Aynaw, a 21 year old Ethiopian, won Israels 2013 national beauty pageant.

Yityish Aynaw, a 21 year old Ethiopian, won Israel's 2013 national beauty pageant.

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by loveandpeace1984 loveandpeace1984 wrote:

A small win for the real Israelites

This
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:40pm
She's beautiful. I agree with the article, that I hope that she'll use her platform as Miss Israel to speak out against the injustices that Africans and other minorities are facing in Israel.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:41pm
The first black and the first woman this or that have been part of my whole life.  I swear its starting to make me feel sad that this first this/that has 100s of yrs left in itCry

ETA:  Congrats to her Clap

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Feb 28 2013 at 3:42pm
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

The first black and the first woman this or that have been part of my whole life.  I swear its starting to make me feel sad that this first this/that has 100s of yrs left in itCry

ETA:  Congrats to her Clap

I totally feel you on this.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:47pm

Some folks are saying that they "Israel" are trying to smooth things over with the recent story of African immigrants being sterilized in Israel. 

Israelis Admit To Sterilizing African Women In Israel

NAZARETH, Israel // Health officials in Israel are subjecting many female Ethiopian immigrants to a controversial long-term birth control drug in what Israeli women's groups allege is a racist policy to reduce the number of black babies. The contraceptive, known as Depo Provera, which is given by injection every three months, is considered by many doctors as a birth control method of last resort because of problems treating its side effects.

However, according to a report published last week, use of the contraceptive by Israeli doctors has risen threefold over the past few years. Figures show that 57 per cent of Depo Provera users in Israel are Ethiopian, even though the community accounts for less than two per cent of the total population. About 90,000 Ethiopians have been brought to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has subsequently been questioned by some rabbis and is doubted by many ordinary Israelis.

Ethiopians are reported to face widespread discrimination in jobs, housing and education and it recently emerged that their blood donations were routinely discarded. "This is about reducing the number of births in a community that is black and mostly poor," said Hedva Eyal, the author of the report by Woman to Woman, a feminist organisation based in Haifa, in northern Israel. "The unspoken policy is that only children who are white and Ashkenazi are wanted in Israel," she said, referring to the term for European Jews who founded Israel and continue to dominate its institutions.

Women's groups were alerted to the widespread use of Depo Provera in the Ethiopian community in 2008 when Rachel Mangoli, who runs a day care centre for 120 Ethiopian children in Bnei Braq, a suburb of Tel Aviv, observed that she had received only one new child in the previous three years. "I started to think about how strange the situation was after I had to send back donated baby clothes because there was no one in the community to give them to," she said.

She approached a local health clinic serving the 55 Ethiopian families in Bnei Braq and was told by the clinic manager that they had been instructed to administer Depo Provera injections to the women of child-bearing age, though he refused to say who had issued the order. Ms Mangoli, who interviewed the women, said: "They had not been told about alternative forms of contraception or about the side effects or given medical follow-ups." The women complained of a wide range of side effects associated with the drug, including headaches, abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea, loss of libido and general burning sensations.

Depo Provera is also known to decrease bone density, especially among dark-skinned women, which can lead to osteoporosis in later life. Doctors are concerned that it is difficult or impossible to help women who experience severe side effects because the drug is in their system for months after it is injected. The contraceptive's reputation has also been tarnished by its association with South Africa, where the apartheid government had used it, often coercively, to limit the fertility of black women.

Traditionally, its main uses have been for women who are regarded as incapable of controlling their own reproduction or monitor other forms of birth control, and for women who suffer severe problems during menstruation. Ms Eyal said she had been denied co-operation from government ministries, doctors and most of the health insurance companies while conducting her research. Clalit, the largest health company, however, did provide figures showing that 57 per cent of its Depo Provera users were Ethiopian compared with a handful of women in other ethnic groups.

The health ministry was unavailable for comment. When first questioned about Depo Provera in June 2008, the health minister of the time, Yaacov Ben Yezri, said the high number of Ethiopians in Israel using the drug reflected a "cultural preference" for injections among Ethiopians. In fact, according to figures of the World Health Organisation, three-quarters of women in Ethiopia using birth control take the oral pill.

"The answers we received from officials demonstrated overt racism," Ms Eyal said. "They suggested that Ethiopian women should be treated not as individuals but as a collective group whose reproduction needs controlling." When Woman to Woman conducted an experiment by sending five non-Ethiopian women to doctors to ask for Depo Provera, all were told that it was prescribed only in highly unusual cases.

Ms Mangoli said it was extremely difficult to get immigrant Ethiopian families to speak out because they were afraid that their Jewishness was under suspicion and that they might be deported if they caused trouble. However, women interviewed anonymously for the report stated that officials at absorption centres in Ethiopia advised them to take Depo Provera because there would be no funds to support their children if they got pregnant in Israel.

This policy appears to conflict with the stated goals of the country's Demography Council, a group of experts charged with devising ways to persuade Jewish women to have more babies. The council was established in response to what is widely seen in Israel as a "demographic war" with Palestinians, or the need to maintain a Jewish majority in the region despite high Palestinian birth rates. In a speech marking the council's reconvening in 2002, the then social welfare minister, Shlomo Benizri, referred to "the beauty of the Jewish family that is blessed with many children".

Yali Hashash, a researcher at Haifa University, said attempts to restrict Ethiopian women's fertility echoed practices used against Jewish women who immigrated to Israel from such Arab countries as Iraq, Yemen and Morocco in the state's early years, in the 1950s and 1960s. Many, she said, had been encouraged to fit IUDs when the device was still experimental because Israel's leading gynecologists regarded Arab Jews as "primitive" and incapable of acting "responsibly".

Allegations of official racism towards Ethiopians gained prominence in 2006 when it was admitted that for many years all their blood donations had been discarded for fear that they might be contaminated with diseases. There have also been regular reports of Ethiopian children being denied places in schools or being forced to attend separate classes. In November a survey of employers in the main professions showed that 53 per cent preferred not to hire an Ethiopian.

Edited by goodm3 - Feb 28 2013 at 3:52pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 3:49pm
Ugh I cannot with sterilization.  For real Israel?  These fckn Zionists are too much for me.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>