Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

First thing to do when youve removed braids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Bootiful Cream

Author
foi1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foi1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First thing to do when youve removed braids
    Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 9:30am
Hi

I have been natural for just over a year. I have transitioned through briads and lace wigs. I havent really taken care of my hair before now but I really want to start taking care of my natural hair.

Can you all tell me what you do when you take out your braids?

I usually start combing out the hair but this takes so long and is painful.

I have heard that she shouldnt try to detangle your hair at this point. You should wash it and condition it then detangle it as water is a natural detangler. What do y'all think?

Sponsored Links

Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:22am
I'm not sure about that one.  There have been NUMEROUS accounts of ladies who've taken out weaves/braids and washed w/o detangling and have had to cut off large amounts of hair due to huge knots!!  Permed and natural ladies have reported that.  The water will cause the shed hair to clump together and form knots.

DEFINITELY, detangle first and remove as much shed hair has possible.  I don't use combs or brushes (don't mind the avi, I do have hair. LoL) so I detangle each section with my fingers and remove any shed hair by sliding my fingers down the section.  It's been pretty painless and very effective. 

Also, this depends on how the long the braids/weave were installed.  There may not be as much shed hair after a couple of weeks as there would be after a couple of months.

GL!
iluvmyNYstyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmyNYstyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:23am
After removing all braids you should detangle first however never do it on dry hair (use an oil or conditioner to provide slip). If you wash before detangling it can cause your hair to matt. Hold on i rember doing a super long post about an "after extension regimen". Let me see if i can find it.
_belle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _belle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:28am
I detangled my dry, dirty hair, only because im natural & wetting it would cause it to curl up & tangle & mat. then I put it in big chunky braids. SLATHER it with conditioner & let it sit for a while. clarify with suave shampoo & then deep condition again. rinse. let my hair mostly air dry. then take down the chunky braids, one at a time & DETANGLE each again. 

Edited by _belle - Dec 03 2010 at 10:30am
iluvmyNYstyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmyNYstyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:33am
i'm back ....Here ya go

Originally posted by iluvmyNYstyle iluvmyNYstyle wrote:

I am so sorry to hear that Hug But you should have definitely fully de-tangled your hair before hopping in the shower to wash. Here are some steps I use when taking down twists or braids to prevent breakage and or matting.

1. Unravel the twists or braids carefully in sections ( I usually do about 10-12 twists or braids....you can do more or less depending on the size of the extensions)
2.Moisturze the unraveled section with a water and conditioner mix ( or waht ever it is you use to moisturize the idea is to provide your hair with enough slip to de-tangle with ease).
3.Massage the mix in a downward method making sure all strands are moist. (do not massage aggressively or any other motion other than down as this will cause matting of the hair)
4.Gently comb starting from the tips to roots with a wide tooth comb making sure all shed hairs are removed. During this time also don't forget to remove shed hairs from the comb as well as your hands to prevent redepositing the shed hairs into your de-tangled hair.
5. Once completely de-tangled braid or twist up that section to get it out of the way.

Repeat steps 1-5 for every section you do

6.Once all of your extensions are out and de-tangled take out the twisted or braided sections to prepare for your washing session. Then put your hair in 4-6 sections for an easier washing technique and wash as normal.  (you can also opt to leave the orginal sections from detanling to wash in).

So don't give up on the protective styling especially twists since they are so easy to put in and easy to take out. Just be patient and always detangle prior to washing. Hope this helps you girlie or others!!!
dejee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:33am
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE detangle first or you may have a huge mess on your hands.

Section off your hair. Then mist your hair w/ a mixture of water and conditioner. It doesn't have to be wet just moist so you can work through it. Make sure you get the shed hair out. After your finish one section, pin it up or braid it and then move on to the next section.
nikietc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikietc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:37am
listen to the ladies above.

NEVER wet your hair when it's tangled! it will mat and dread, and you will have to cut it! make sure you have all of the shed hair out before you move on.

on average, we lose 100 strands of hair a day, so multiply the number of days you had your hair braided times 100, and that's how much hair you should expect. if you don't have a big ball of shed hair after you've detangled, you're not done yet!

foi1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foi1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:42am
Thanks guys

This is what I'm going to do:

Divide the hair into sections
Spray a mix of water and condition into each section
Detangle each section one at a time

I have afew questions:

what is slip?
can I use just conditioner to detangle the hair
do i use a comb to detangle the hair or my fingers

Thanks
obsession1221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obsession1221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:43am
Please detangle first! You can end up with matted hair or locks if you don't. I saturate a section of hair with olive oil and a little Vo5 and detangle carefully. It's very easy to lose extra hair (not shed hair) after taking out braids/twists IMO. Get as much of the shed hair out of the section and then braid it. Continue doing sections like this and leave your hair saturated in oil and conditioner for 30 minutes or so. Then wash your hair. Take down a section in the shower (shower is easiest for me) and use a clarifying shampoo... then apply conditioner and detangle that section again. (I dont wash the conditioner out yet) Braid it back up and continue until you've clarified/ applied deep conditioner to all sections and braided them back up. Leave your hair like this for 30-45minutes. Then rinse the braids. It'll get most of the conditioner out but I like to leave some in anyways. Add a little extra leave-in to the ends of the braids and seal with oil. Let braids airdry or take down braids and blowdry if you want. (If I blowdry I do it on cool setting)

And there you have it!! All done!   
Hateharder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hateharder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 10:47am
Originally posted by iluvmyNYstyle iluvmyNYstyle wrote:

After removing all braids you should detangle first however never do it on dry hair (use an oil or conditioner to provide slip). If you wash before detangling it can cause your hair to matt. Hold on i rember doing a super long post about an "after extension regimen". Let me see if i can find it.

This, although I go to my bestfriends house to take down my braids because she has patience & I love when her hands are in my head LOL

The FIRST step she does after taking down my hair is drown my hair in coconut oil, she sections my hair using her fingers into 4 sections, sometimes 5 with all my crown hair facing forward so its less stress. 
Second step is that she lets it sit in my hair for a while, we usually engage in boy problem talk at this time.
Third Step is that she will first run her hands through each section, then using a wide tooth comb, detangle- I have experienced ALOT less hair coming out & thats alot to say considering that we shed over 100 hairs a day.
Fourth step- Clarify, she then puts luke warm water on, & puts clarifying shampoo in my hair & I wash it the oil & dirt, product buildup out.
Fifth step- CONDITION! Right after I put my head up out the tub saying I was done, she put conditioner in my hair& then covered it down with a plastic cap.
Sixth Step- After about 45 minutes later after we were both on bhm laughing at stuff. I rinsed my hair. I used my finger pads( right under your finger tips) to massage my head, work it through all my hair & washed it out. Then While I was turning off the faucet, I turned off the hot left the cold water & then ra my head under it quickly to close my pours & help seal in the conditioner.
Seventh step- I had a moisturing creme put in my hair that was put in my hair then sealed with some oil & then we blew dried my hair. i didn't want my hair straight so it didn't matter, it came out straight anyway. 

I wanted to reinstall my weave, but she told me to let my hair breathe, & then I just never went back to put it in, so I had my natural hair out, which was good for the summer...then I cut my permed ends off because they annoyed me & thats where I am nowBig smile

HTHSmile

Edited by Hateharder - Dec 03 2010 at 10:48am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon