Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First relaxer; DIY

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
t3rr4b311um View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3rr4b311um Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First relaxer; DIY
    Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 3:53pm
Hi, new to the forums.

This Sunday, I spontaneously decided to permanently go straight. I was told the style would suit me, and didn't really care about what could happen; I'd just shave my head as usual if anything went really wrong. I decided to relax it, using a $5 Mizani Butter Blend Sensitive Scalp relaxer. I didn't have gloves or an applicator, so I used a rubber spatula and a normal comb. I mixed the liquid stuff into the cream stuff with a comb. I slathered a superfluous amount onto each quadrant, massaged it in, and waited 16 burning minutes while running around the house (I don't think the globs of petroleum jelly really did anything) and showered it out; shampooed 3 times and rinsed for 7 minutes. I accidentally drank a minuscule amount and had a headache for two days, but the results were entirely perfectly straightened hair; no shedding (which is 200% less often than usual), no scabs, no problems.
Yeah, I know its not recommended to do it at home and blah blah, but everything went entirely better than expected and my hair is actually in 70% better condition and strength than before.

HOWEVER, a week after everything, about a half centimeter of the roots only on the very top and front of my head are slightly reverting into a tiny wave (I guess I didn't separate them enough to entirely saturate it?) and its generally frizzing up a bit and typically winter dry all over. Which is to be expected, I guess.
Should I flat iron or condition it(or both)? If condition, then what with? I suppose water-based would defeat the purpose?

By the way, I haven't told my mom or any family that I permed it, so I can't ask them for help. I have worn an aviator hat at home for 4 days straight and will continue to until I get a chance to make it look inconspicuous, because I am avoiding an annoying "chemicals are the devil" lecture followed by a week of disapproving glances like the plague.
Sponsored Links

luvmybiga$$fro View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmybiga$$fro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 8:11am

Hey there! Sounds like you didn't get those roots like you said. I agree that you need some conditioning going on.

Since your straight, take a few dabs of your moisturizer that you usually use and run it through your hair. If you have a blowdryer with the comb attachment, you could blowdry your already straight dry hair. The moisturizer is going to make your hair revert more especially if its water based, so blowdrying it will help with getting rid of the waves. If you don't have a blowdryer with the attachment, if your one of those ladies that can get their roots straight with the flatiron- go for it!

Please be more careful next time with doing this perm yourself! Drinking perm and slathering indiscriminate amounts in ya head sounds all types of dangerous. HTH and GL!
Loveverythinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveverythinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 11:23pm

You rinsed your relaxer out in the shower? That's a first. lol

When doing a relaxer you have to do both sides of the part,front and back of new growth
I think the partings should be a inch to a half of inch in each quad.

But...I agree with the PP said ^.

ETA:TYPO

Edited by Loveverythinghair - Jan 26 2013 at 11:24pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions