Topic Closedfirst perm after being natural for 6 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
shakira View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 5:58am

Interesting thread. A perfect example of why you should never say never. It is good to hear from people who have experience in taking care of natural and relaxed hair.

Sponsored Links

SEXYMAMA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 9:18pm
I thinking about relaxing my hair after 2yrs. I said i would never but like you said never say never. I tired of wearing weaves and i never worn my natural hair before i'm too scare. So nobody saw my hair natural but me and my stylist..lol.
Sparklingbg View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2008 at 10:39pm

wow ...i didnt realize so many ladies were going through the same things as me:|..i've been natural all my life (almost 19yrs b/c of my dad) but now im getting so bored with my hair. I always wear it in weaves and braids and i'm so tempted to relax it just for a change

Ms_Providence View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2008 at 5:46pm
I was natural for eight long years I loved my hair it was beautiful and healthy but It was a lot of work!!!! I recently permed my hair I like it but i do miss my kinky curls. Thats how everybody knew me. I am re learning how to care for my permed hair. It's a work in progress.
Patricia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2008 at 11:14am
I relaxed after being natural for a long time too. 
balancebeam1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 10:58am
Originally posted by naturalmess naturalmess wrote:

I did it!! I'm relaxed and relieved!! I haven't felt this positive about my look in a while.  Not that I think straight hair is superior to natural, but after 7 years I had lost the energy it takes to maintain natural hair.  So, I'm happy with my decision and ecstatic with the result:)
What was the process? I'm like you and haven't had a relaxer in my head for 4 years. I'm getting my weave taken down at the end of this month and 4 days after that she's going to put in a relaxer. If I remember correctly...I'm not suppose to wash my hair...correct? She's going to charge me an arm and a leg for this new virgin hair.
kimbacat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 1:01pm
Well folks, I have been natural for 3 years but in a couple of weeks I will be going back to relaxed hair. 

I initially switched to natural because I kind of had to--bad product experience with my relaxed hair took out patches of it and it had to be cut off all over and then be allowed to grow back in. 

I have enjoyed my natural hair these last 3 years but pretty much kept my style limited to a simple TWA. Now I would like a change and I hope that will happen in 2 weeks.  When I first made the decision to do so, I had a number of people trying to talk me out of it--but in the end--it's my hair and I will do what I want to do with it!  Doesn't matter if I am natural or relaxed--I am still me!  Big%20smile
lotusflower View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2008 at 3:09am
YOu ladies are the best.. I've been comtemplating going back to my relaxer after eight years.  I love getting my hair pressed, but I feel at times that it is too  much heat: blowdry, press, curl, flat iron...... with a relaxer, all you need to do is wash, wet set and flat iron, boda bing....... I was never able to wear the natural styles, for one they didn't look good on me and two, didn't look good with my uniform at work.  I think the best style was the straw set......... I have  medium fine hair, so I think the press has taking a toll on it.  I'm thinking of getting a textured bob to add some volume......thanks ladies of BHM.............

lotus
AlmondEyes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 6:40pm
I'm going to do it. I have been natural for 7 years and I am ready to relax.

I have been waivering on the idea for about a year now and I have finally decided this is best for me. I have been braiding my hair for a long time. I have grown it long then through a combination of being tired of the products needed to upkeep and bad decisions I have watched my APL break to SL and back and again.

I straightened my hair in July and I watched my huge mane shrink to a lmip shoulder length cut. I was disappointed but I think in order to regain my thickenss while straight Ineed to stop braiding and just let me hair out and down.

*sigh*

Here is my dilemna. I bought my own perm Mizani butter blends fine rhelaxer. I chose fine because my hair loses alot of volume and looks fine when its straightened. Natural its a thick bushy (mess) mane.

I am toying with doing it myself or bringing it to a salon and having them do it which might mean that they wont want to use my rhelaxer.

What should I do? Use my own myself or go to a salon and ask them to use mine? Do you think "Fine" is the right one or should I switch to medium. I know when I used to relax sometimes I would get overprocessed with medium/normal.

Has anyone experienced the disappointment of losing volume when you relax/straighten from natural to relaxed?
glamrock View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2008 at 7:58am
im in the same boat as you, almondeyes...my hair broke this summer and i think it came from excessive pressing (i normally wear twists or cornrows without extensions or wear weaves/LFs as protective styles and i recently started pressing more often which probably caused the damage.)

Im now ready to relax and i am trying to figure out whether medium or fine strength will be best...I dont want my hair to end up flat or limp...I do know that for my 4b texture, a fine will probably give me a texlax, but i am willing to try it to avoid limp hair...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic