FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Black Supreme Court Justice in Brazil

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Black Supreme Court Justice in Brazil
    Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:07pm
Nice development but they sure are taking their time evolving...

Trying hard to find a picture that will show Angry

Joaquim Barbosa Sworn In As Brazil's First Black Supreme Court Justice

BRASILIA, Brazil — Brazil's Supreme Court is now headed by a black justice for the first time.

Joaquim Barbosa was sworn in on Thursday. He became the only black ever to serve on the court when he joined it in 2003, even though more than half of the country's 192 million people identify themselves as having African descent.

Barbosa, 58, was elected in October to a two-year tenure as Supreme Court president. His election was a foregone conclusion since the court's presidency always goes to the justice who has served on the bench the longest.

Over the past several weeks he gained national and international renown presiding over a high-profile corruption trial involving a congressional cash-for-votes scheme. The court has convicted 25 people including the former chief of staff of ex-President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

President Dilma Rousseff, members of her Cabinet, state governors, congressional leaders and several sports and entertainment personalities were present at Barbosa's swearing in.

"The multiculturalism that characterizes the Brazilian people is evident here today with Joaquim Barbosa heading the highest court of the land," said Ophir Cavalcante, president of the Brazilian Bar Association in a speech during the swearing in ceremony.

Oh dear, looks like they're going for the "post-racial society" mantra already

Barbosa as Supreme Court president "has a strong symbolic impact for Brazilian blacks," Valter Silveiro, coordinator of the Center for Afro-Brazilian Studies of the University of Sao Carlos, said. "The new generations of blacks will have the opportunity that my generation never had – of seeing a black man presiding over one of the three branches of government."

Silveiro said Barbosa's history, background and achievements "strengthen affirmative action programs that try to increase the presence of blacks in the country's universities."

Barbosa was born in 1954 in the small town of Paracatu in Minas Gerais state, where his father worked as a bricklayer.

When he was 16 Barbosa went to the capital, Brasilia, to study. He worked as a cleaner and a typesetter at the Senate to pay for his studies at the University of Brasilia's law school.

After graduating he was hired by the Foreign Ministry and served three years at the Brazilian Embassy in Finland.

A former federal prosecutor, Barbosa taught law at Rio de Janeiro State University and was a visiting scholar at the Human Rights Institute of Columbia University's law school in New York and the UCLA law school in California.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Nov 23 2012 at 10:13pm
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:35pm
And they say there isn't racism in Brazil like there is in the States... pul-leaaase Ermm
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:40pm
Brazil is crazy blatant with their racism. If you think the US is ridiculous, Brazil will sit you down and school you with their racism.

They have a loooooong way to go before they try to present themselves as an egalitarian society.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

And they say there isn't racism in Brazil like there is in the States... pul-leaaase Ermm

who is they? i believe my law school has worked with several south american countries on the civil rights of their black population..my prof. spoke to me about it and it sounded dreadful...like living in the south in 1934. no thanks

and he looks like an old african man i knowLOL
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

who is they? i believe my law school has worked with several south american countries on the civil rights of their black population..my prof. spoke to me about it and it sounded dreadful...like living in the south in 1934. no thanks

and he looks like an old african man i knowLOL
LOL, which is why I made it a point to find a picture that shows. You know BHM thinks all afro-brazilians look "exotical"
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:25am
even though more than half of the country's 192 million people identify themselves as having African descent.Ouch
starflower7 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote starflower7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:28am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

even though more than half of the country's 192 million people identify themselves as having African descent.Ouch

And half of the rest lying about it lol.
sistagal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sistagal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 3:51am
Wait what...

The first?! 

I thought a huuuuuuge part of Brazil population was black people.

Well damn.
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 4:31am
Originally posted by sistagal sistagal wrote:

Wait what...

The first?! 

I thought a huuuuuuge part of Brazil population was black people.

Well damn.

I'm shocked too. He looks like a Nigerian professor I had.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 10:56am
It's going to take another decade or two before real more for real change.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic