Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedFine Thin Hair Will Never Be Long?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
mstinycurls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fine Thin Hair Will Never Be Long?
    Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 6:19am
I was reading some articles yesterday about hair.  I read that if you have fine thin hair it's very difficult to grow long..(nearly impossible).   I went youtubing trying to find someone with long fine thin hair and didn't find anyone.  All the long hair girls have thick, med, coarse hair.  The few fine thin haired women I did find, they didn't have long hair.
http://www.youtube.com/user/skeeta25#p/u/3/LRRYOEz3yD0 ...been natural for over 18 months..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3xltAoSGg over a year

I'm feeling a bit discouraged right now.  Right now, my longest strand on my hair is about 7 inches..Cry
Sponsored Links

NataleeC View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 6:38am
Are you kidding? I'm sure there are girls with long, thin strands of hair. And I'm DEF. sure you can do it too. You're sorta at a disadvantage, seeing that your hair is fine, but it can grow too. Just keep it strong, don't fiddle too much with it and it will flourish. Be one of the first public ladies with fine thin hair that made it. :)
Wanna post your regi and maybe pics so we can see what you're working with?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 7:50am
Originally posted by NataleeC NataleeC wrote:

Are you kidding? I'm sure there are girls with long, thin strands of hair. And I'm DEF. sure you can do it too. You're sorta at a disadvantage, seeing that your hair is fine, but it can grow too. Just keep it strong, don't fiddle too much with it and it will flourish. Be one of the first public ladies with fine thin hair that made it. :)
Wanna post your regi and maybe pics so we can see what you're working with?
I was having problems with breakage and shedding excessively but I changed my products just recently and it seems to be helping big time. 
     Right now, I'm using Giovanni products...shampoo and conditioner..50:50 balancing and leave in conditioner.  Beautiful curls curl activating cream for braidouts and Jane carter's nourish and shine.  Im doing a cowash once a week because I'm exercising using v05 vanilla mint conditioner.  No problems with this so far.  I just started the giovanni products  a few weeks ago but I can tell a big difference  so maybe I should a wait a bit to see what happens?
      I guess I never realized that all the long haired ladies are not fine and thin until now.Ouch
Lilacflower1988 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 10:14am

Girl, don't feel discouraged. Just because their hair hasn't gotten long doesn't mean yours won't. Everyones hair is different. It can be similar but never exactly the same.

Carib_n_curly View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 10:46am
i have alot of hair but my strands are very thin
you should avoid combing at all cost. only comb your hair when you are washing it and its soaked with water. having a low manipulation reggy have helped me over my bump of being stuck at APL for a year

maybe you should start wearing your hair plaited under half wigs to avoid detangling or styling it which would mean manipulation 
have patience. its only after i ignored my hair for a bit i saw growth   
i loathe thick strands women as well but long hair isn't something that is impossible for those of us with thin strands. i've been on BHM for 4 years and its only in that last 2 i've seen significant length retention.

Edited by Carib_n_curly - Aug 14 2011 at 10:48am
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 10:48am
I hope not... My hair is fine but i have lots of it.. currently just past shoulder length... I hide my hair most of the time so hopefully a low manipulating regi would help
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 10:56am
Big smileYou can do it OP! Just keep in mind that it is a learning process but you can grow fine hair.

I will admit that my shortest pieces are the finest ones but now that I figured out that I can't treat that part of my hair like the thicker strands, I know I'll be able to retain the length now.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

I hope not... My hair is fine but i have lots of it.. currently just past shoulder length... I hide my hair most of the time so hopefully a low manipulating regi would help
Do you have thick and fine hair?  Mine is thin and fine.  I've seen some long haired thick and fine strands.  I feel like I have the weakest hair right now.  Ouch
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 11:26am
Thin hair can grow to great lengths. The black hair community on Youtube only represents a very small percentage of the black hair community. Most women will never upload a video on youtube. So you can't really judge by that. Low manipulation is the key with fine hair. Your strands need extra strength, so a good protein treatment every 6 weeks is important to keep your hair from popping. You have what you say. Believe that your hair can grow long and retain its length and it will. With proper care and attention. Fine hair cannot be combed a lot, but also it cannot be left braided for long periods of time. 

Edited by Veemack - Aug 14 2011 at 11:27am

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Thin hair can grow to great lengths. The black hair community on Youtube only represents a very small percentage of the black hair community. Most women will never upload a video on youtube. So you can't really judge by that. Low manipulation is the key with fine hair. Your strands need extra strength, so a good protein treatment every 6 weeks is important to keep your hair from popping. You have what you say. Believe that your hair can grow long and retain its length and it will. With proper care and attention. Fine hair cannot be combed a lot, but also it cannot be left braided for long periods of time. 
So, I do braidouts each day because I can't leave my hair out at night even with a silk cap.  It gets tangled and dry if I don't braid it.  Braiding my hair each night too much manipulation?  I don't see any breakage doing it.  I find that heavy protein treatment do not like my hair.  Recommend a good light protein product for my hair?  Thanks.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic