Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FIBROIDS: Alternatives to Hysterectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:24pm
Most of the women in my family have had hysterectomies. 
Can't wait to have mine.
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:24pm
i had a myomectomy a few years ago and it was my only option since hysterectomy was out of the  question and i the fibroids were were huge.  its brutal operation and so is the recovery.  a lot of surgeons dont like to do it because it takes longer and its a bloody mess.  do your research and dont let them talk you into anything. you can watch a surgery on line.  ask lots of questions and get as many opinions as you need until you feel comfortable and dont forget to ask  about the recovery period because i didnt and wasnt prepared for the pain.

Hug
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i had a myomectomy a few years ago and it was my only option since hysterectomy was out of the  question and i the fibroids were were huge.  its brutal operation and so is the recovery.  a lot of surgeons dont like to do it because it takes longer and its a bloody mess.  do your research and dont let them talk you into anything. you can watch a surgery on line.  ask lots of questions and get as many opinions as you need until you feel comfortable and dont forget to ask  about the recovery period because i didnt and wasnt prepared for the pain.

Hug
I heard this from a few people. Oddly enough, the myomectomy was pretty easy for me. My surgeon was very skilled. I hardly had any pain at all, although it does take 6 weeks to recover and they really do turn your insides out during the procedure. Pay attention to reviews on the surgeon.

I found the embolization to be vert brutal, though. Quicker recovery but horrible stomach pains! Plus it didn't work.

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Did you know Black women are 9 times more likely to have fibroids than whites?  We tend to get larger ones at younger ages too. 

Yes, No Idea why but I think there is a reason I can't remember right now.

I have been in excruciating pain for the past two weeks and low and behold, it's a fibroid.  I have a retroverted uterus (tilts towards my spine rather than my navel) so this large tumor is impinging on my tailbone and sigmoid colon.  I can't stand up straight, I can't walk without severe pain, I can't do a #2 or even release a little gas Embarrassed

I have talked to three doctors who all say one thing:  Hysterectomy.

Hug

The women in my family have not done well with hysterectomies.  My aunt and grandmother died from complications at 36 and 57 respectively.

This is not typical.  Do you know what the complications were?  You should get as much detail as possible and discuss with your doctor.  Especially if this is going to be necessary to ease your pain and fix the problem.  Find out what exactly happened and discuss in detail with professionals. 

I'm 32 and even though I have a completed family, I want to keep my parts if I can. 

The only reason your ovaries would need to be removed is if they are scarred or have a fibroid interfering with their function.  Otherwise only your uterus needs to be removed.   Your cervix can also remain but removing it permanently removes the risk of ever getting cervical cancer so there that..LOL

Have any of you dealt with this?  How did you treat your fibroids?  

Yes.  I wasn't in terrible pain but my fibroids were taking over all of my other important organs and generally making me miserable and uncomfortable all of the time.  My period was like a monthly bloodhbath when it decided to show up.  Since I was nowhere near menopause (according to my doctor I had a long way to go and that is when they would shrink fast on their own) I decided to do it.   Best medical decision I ever made.  The first thing I said when I opened my eyes (literally) was "I feel so much better".  I was in pain of course but I could tell something was much better.  I felt like myself again. 

The thing is it is different for every person so basically people can only really tell you their experience.  It is an extremely common surgery (right or wrong) and there will be no shortage of people who can tell you their experience.  I will try to answer everything I know or think if I canHug
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Hug

Hell to the yes!!  The recover from these surgeries is incredibly hard.  You need a really good support system.  The most important thing is to rest and sit your ass as still as possible.   Just because the pain pills say you can do something doesn't mean a damn thing.  EVERYTHING can wait 6 weeks.  Every damn thing!!
honeydrop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote honeydrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:57pm
I'm sorry you are goiing through this.Hug  I was just reading about drinking apple cider vinger in water that helps to shrink fibroids.  I haven't came accross any success stories though but hth.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:58pm

Cry  I heard some women don't orgasm the same after hysterectomy.  Plus I'm too young for menopause!

Terrifying rightLOL!   I can only speak for myself but I haven't really noticed a difference.  And my sex drive has been crazy, crazy, crazy.  Just typing this is....Embarrassed

My conclusion is that women who have issues already had them.  I could be wrong but that's what I think happens with some. 
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 3:08pm
Cry  So I'm hearing that myomectomy is more brutal and requires a longer recovery than hysterectomy?    Ugh.... the fibroid is pushing again my sacrum so it has to go and they said if they can't do surgery tomorrow, they'll do it early next week.

I will definitely ask questions.  Hubby is coming with so he can ask questions too.  My parents are really upset because of the deaths in the family and they're scaring me a little.  They were pulmonary emboli (blot clot that travels to the lungs).  

I go back to school 9/25/13.  My LAST quarter of nursing school for LPN-RN.  SIX WEEKS!!  That would do me in Cry  All I have to do is sit my behind in a chair for 6 hours one day a week.  I hope I can do that.  I need to precept too but I have 12 weeks to do that in.  

Thanks for the advice.  Very helpful.

P.S.  I ate cinnamon by the tablespoon and drank apple cider vinegar yesterday.....never again!

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Merin Merin wrote:

Why did the doctor recommend this over a myomectomy???

Call me paranoid or active member of the tin foil brigade but I honestly believe that doctors recommend the most extreme or high risk option for Black women.  Plus based on what my mom has witnessed, most of these doctors tend to refuse to give their Black patients the necessary pain medication to manage their extreme discomfort.  But they willingly give their patient practically a blank prescription pad if they come in with a splinter underneath the epidermis of the thumb.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 3:13pm
NARS you sound like my mama and aunties!!  They have definitely hooked me up on the pain meds.  I swear every time the nurse came in my room yesterday she was like, "More pain meds?"  I have my regular doctor, the consulting gynecologist and my personal gynecologist who delivered all three of my kids.  I'll be comparing notes for the least invasive, most effective and best recover option.  I need this pressure off though.  There is no comfortable position to be in.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>