Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

FIBROIDS: Alternatives to Hysterectomy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FIBROIDS: Alternatives to Hysterectomy
    Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 1:40pm
Did you know Black women are 9 times more likely to have fibroids than whites?  We tend to get larger ones at younger ages too. 

I have been in excruciating pain for the past two weeks and low and behold, it's a fibroid.  I have a retroverted uterus (tilts towards my spine rather than my navel) so this large tumor is impinging on my tailbone and sigmoid colon.  I can't stand up straight, I can't walk without severe pain, I can't do a #2 or even release a little gas Embarrassed

I have talked to three doctors who all say one thing:  Hysterectomy.

The women in my family have not done well with hysterectomies.  My aunt and grandmother died from complications at 36 and 57 respectively.  I'm 32 and even though I have a completed family, I want to keep my parts if I can.  

Have any of you dealt with this?  How did you treat your fibroids?  
Sponsored Links

**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 1:47pm
My mom had fibroids and endometriosis and got a hysterectomy last October as the last resort. Before that she had them scar the uterine tissue with a laser, and I believe she might've been on some hormones as well. 
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 1:52pm

I wish I knew... I thought they had laser treatment available to shrink the fibroids. Both my mother and cousin had a hysterectomy as the last resort.

Edited by Rumbera - Aug 29 2013 at 1:53pm
Merin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Merin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 1:55pm
Why did the doctor recommend this over a myomectomy??? People either do that or that have the fibroid embolization.  How many of our Doctors patients have Fibroids? This sounds extreme. I have a friend( she is white actually) who's fibroid was giving her huge issues. First they put her on the Medicine which made her body think she was going through menopause, this stopped the estrogen( that is what feed the Fibroid) and it ended up shrinking the Fibroid in such a way that they were able to go in and take it out with a minimal incision to her Uterus. 
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 1:57pm
Cry  I heard some women don't orgasm the same after hysterectomy.  Plus I'm too young for menopause!
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Merin Merin wrote:

Why did the doctor recommend this over a myomectomy??? People either do that or that have the fibroid embolization.  How many of our Doctors patients have Fibroids? This sounds extreme. I have a friend( she is white actually) who's fibroid was giving her huge issues. First they put her on the Medicine which made her body think she was going through menopause, this stopped the estrogen( that is what feed the Fibroid) and it ended up shrinking the Fibroid in such a way that they were able to go in and take it out with a minimal incision to her Uterus. 

I am meeting with another doctor today for a second opinion.  The positioning of my uterus is their reasoning.  It's retrovert and the fibroid is on the other side.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:03pm
You might want to get a second opinion but every case is different. It depends on how many fibroids, where they are placed, the severity of the symptoms, previous surgeries, etc. Sometimes there is no other choice than a hysterectomy but AGAIN, get a second opinion, it's too important not to! Doctors tend to overprescribe hysterectomies to black women when a myomectomy/embolization will do.

In my case, I already had a myomectomy and an embolization and they still came back. So at this point, my doc said that a hysterectomy (while keeping the ovaries, though, so that I wouldn't go into menopause right away) would be my only option if I were to consider surgery again.

Right now, I'm taking hemp pills in the hopes that it can help shrink them. If that doesn't work, I'll be going ahead with the hysterectomy.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Aug 29 2013 at 2:05pm
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:07pm
I will definitely ask about myomectomy.  I can't believe how painful it is!  I've had all the symptoms for years and never thought anything of it except that I had harsh, abnormal periods.... who knew.

I wonder how long until there's relief with the embolization.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:08pm
If a hysterectomy is the only way to go, ask if they can preserve your ovaries
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

I will definitely ask about myomectomy.  I can't believe how painful it is!  I've had all the symptoms for years and never thought anything of it except that I had harsh, abnormal periods.... who knew.

I wonder how long until there's relief with the embolization.
For me, the relief was fairly quick with the embolization (it took several weeks) but it wasn't long lasting. I guess it was a failure for me. After my myomectomy, on the other hand,I went 10 years without issues. If you can find a skilled doctor who can remove them that way, that would be great. Some doctors are not skilled enough, so they go straight towards the hysterectomy. But again, your specific case will dictate what can be done.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic