Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed -  feminist phone intervention. is this necessary?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

feminist phone intervention. is this necessary?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic:  feminist phone intervention. is this necessary?
    Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 3:33pm

The Best New Way To Give A Guy A Fake Number

By Jessica Goldstein  

Here is an excellent, wonderful thing: feminist phone intervention.

In a perfect world, a woman who isn’t interested in a guy in a bar could just say, “Thanks, but no thanks.” In the real world, women are wary of escalating a situation with a complete stranger who could be drunk or violent or who knows what. Women who say “no” risk a whole bunch of trouble, from general douchery (your typical “what a bitch” under his breath as he walks away) to a physical confrontation. A “sure, you can have my number” is the fastest way to make someone leave you alone. But you don’t want to just give out your real phone number to someone you really hope to never cross paths with again.

This is where the feminist phone intervention comes in. Give a guy the number 669-221-6251. Whether he texts or calls, he’ll get some feminist wisdom courtesy of bell hooks, activist, author, and all-around feminist MVP.

phone

According to an email the anonymous creator sent the Hairpin, the number was inspired by the way the New York Post printed bikini photos “of the woman who ‘spurned’ Elliot Rodgers [the UCSB shooter]. Despite the fact that she was only 10 years old at the time they met, she was portrayed as having romantically rejected Rodgers.”

hooks (the pen name of Gloria Jean Watkins) has been a powerful voice for feminism since 1981, when she published her first major work, Ain’t I A Woman? Black Women and Feminism. She’s the perfect choice for the voice of this phone line; she wrote Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics with the goal, as Ms. Magazine described it, “to introduce feminist politics in an accessible format in order to reach the widest possible audience.” hooks wrote that “There should be billboards; ads in magazines; ads on buses, subways, trains; television commercials spreading the word, letting the world know more about feminism.” If she had written that book in 2014, she’d probably have included cell phones in her list, too.

This phone number is the best. Well, I guess the “best” would be if we didn’t live in a culture where men (but no, not all men) feel entitled to a date with every woman they fancy. The best would be if women were not required to engage in all this exhausting and ridiculous subterfuge just to ensure our own safety and happiness. Until that day arrives, though, we have this brilliant invention. A tip of the lady-hat to you, anonymous creator!

Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 3:37pm
only feminists don't want to give their personal number to randoms?
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

only feminists don't want to give their personal number to randoms?

did you read the article or no?
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 3:53pm
But guys call the number to make sure its yours right in front of you lol this would be too awkward to use. I just give him my number then block his calls/text if I feel very pressured. Luckily I get away with saying im in a relationship or no thank you lol
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

But guys call the number to make sure its yours right in front of you lol this would be too awkward to use. I just give him my number then block his calls/text if I feel very pressured. Luckily I get away with saying im in a relationship or no thank you lol

yeah that whole let me text/call you right nowLOL damn let person have an out
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 4:39pm
just say 'no thx, im not interested' and get out of arms reach asap and hope that he doesnt chuck a cup of soda at you.
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 4:46pm
this is the grown up version of the rejection hotline number
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 4:48pm
thankfully ive been able to get away with saying im married or engaged (since i do wear a ring on my left ring finger)
because just saying "i have  a bf" just dont cut it anymore
slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slayfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

just say 'no thx, im not interested' and get out of arms reach asap and hope that he doesnt chuck a cup of soda at you.

how damn sad is it that you can't possibly decline an advance from a man without him hurling a bunch of insults and possibly a physical object at you.
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 7:01pm
I only see obnoxious feminists who want to be assholes giving this # out to dudes who weren't even sweating them like that but just aren't their type
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>