Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Fat girls' written on restaurant receipt.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 31>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Would it have been discrimination if the receipt had read "redhead girls"?

we already know fat is different than redhead

it just is

maybe some gingers would get upset though....I don't know
Sponsored Links

leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:49am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Black girls,  if written on a receipt is discriminatory? what about white girls? or old ladies?  How do we decide what is a descriptor and what is a slur

I don't disagree that what was written on the receipt was offensive and wrong, I just don't think it should be compared to say had they written n!gg@

I think that lessens how offensive the term n!gg@ actually is, given the history etc.

N!gg@ is an offensive term for black people... there are lots of offensive words for fat people, none of which were used.

are you really going to act like "fat" doesn't have a negative connotation...

I don't know whether people are playing dumb to save face, or are genuinely this socially inept.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:51am
Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

Black girls,  if written on a receipt is discriminatory? what about white girls? or old ladies?  How do we decide what is a descriptor and what is a slur

I don't disagree that what was written on the receipt was offensive and wrong, I just don't think it should be compared to say had they written n!gg@

I think that lessens how offensive the term n!gg@ actually is, given the history etc.

N!gg@ is an offensive term for black people... there are lots of offensive words for fat people, none of which were used.

I don't know whether people are playing dumb to save face, or are genuinely this socially inept.

playing dumb I guess to save face

just embrace your inner asshole and say I get some jollies out of fat jokes
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

it just is

I know one is considered an offensive description, while the other isn't. I'm just getting back to the idea presented here that discrimination is discrimination. I'm curious about if ANY description would be considered discrimination.

I think almost everyone here agreed it was mean and rude, and should have been reported. Fat is mean and hurts peoples feelings. I'm more focused on the other ideas being thrown out.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Dec 09 2012 at 7:55am
chinadoll77 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote chinadoll77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:54am
The waiter would have covered the bill himself,and would have still been reported to the corperation. People find it really funny when other's make rude comments about weight,but really I don't pay money to be insulted,and I would be offended if a family member,or close friend had suffered through the same treatment.I would be ready to rip that asshole's head off...

Edited by chinadoll77 - Dec 09 2012 at 7:55am
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

Did you read the bolded? How did you interpret that?

My argument is not about fat not having negative connotations, which is why I took the trouble of highlighting that part to avoid being misconstrued by those who do not read and comprehend fully.

My argument is purely about it being compared with the term n!gg@, and that has been consistent in all my posts.

Anyway, since when was having a different opinion considered "playing dumb" or "being socially inept"?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:58am

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

it just is

I know one is considered an offensive description, while the other isn't. I'm just getting back to the idea presented here that discrimination is discrimination. I'm curious about if ANY description would be considered discrimination.

I think almost everyone here agreed it was mean and rude, and should have been reported. Fat is mean and hurts peoples feelings. I'm more focused on the other ideas being thrown out.

of course not

if you wrote bad bitch on my receipt I would be mad, but a 20 year would take it as a compliment

depends on the description and the person who receives it

Edited by SamoneLenior - Dec 09 2012 at 8:11am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (26) Thanks(26)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 8:23am
I can't believe yall in here tryna explain why this wasn't "that offensive"

It was rude and discriminatory. Period.

This type of behavior shouldn't be condone no matter who is the victim
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 8:31am
So fat is a compliment? Geek
He couldn't find any other descriptors? 
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 8:34am
Originally posted by purple.chuckz purple.chuckz wrote:

So fat is a compliment? Geek
He couldn't find any other descriptors? 

actually it is in some culturesBig smile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training