Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Fat girls written on restaurant receipt.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:32am
God...I love fat threads. I can always find entertainment in them
Sponsored Links

JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:39am
Black girls,  if written on a receipt is discriminatory? what about white girls? or old ladies?  How do we decide what is a descriptor and what is a slur

I don't disagree that what was written on the receipt was offensive and wrong, I just don't think it should be compared to say had they written n!gg@

I think that lessens how offensive the term n!gg@ actually is, given the history etc.

N!gg@ is an offensive term for black people... there are lots of offensive words for fat people, none of which were used.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Oladunni Oladunni wrote:

Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

I disagree with using the label fat being compared to using the label n!gg@....

One is a statement of fact, the other is a racial slur....

The correct comparison would be

fat girls
vs
black girls

OK!
i think everyone in here agrees that what Jeff wrote was disrespectful....
He should be terminated
We're just acknowledging that it is the truth..
Brotha Man is not a good comparison at all to being called fat.. FOH!

Might not be a good comparison, but when that next receipt has the 'N' word on it, can't do anything but shrug if you're laughing one prejudice slur off, and not the next.

Hop, skip, jump away from going there in most cases.  I know tooooo many people that were getting chuckles at making fun of clothing, hair, complexion, etc., and it made them brave enough to venture into race, and suddenly the laughter stopped.
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:43am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

blacks would care that N was on the receipt

empathetic people and larger people will care that fat was on this receipt

this sums it up.
dee1672 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote dee1672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:45am

I disagree with using the label fat being compared to using the label n!gg@....

One is a statement of fact, the other is a racial slur....

The correct comparison would be

fat girls
vs
black girls

The person that said this needs a dictionary for Christmas and a lesson on similes. Comparing the use of the word 'fat' to using a pejorative? Ouch

Edited by dee1672 - Dec 09 2012 at 7:46am
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:47am
Would it have been discrimination if the receipt had read "redhead girls"?

Edited by Random Thoughts - Dec 09 2012 at 7:48am
leftywefty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (17) Thanks(17)   Quote leftywefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:49am

Black girls,  if written on a receipt is discriminatory? what about white girls? or old ladies?  How do we decide what is a descriptor and what is a slur

I don't disagree that what was written on the receipt was offensive and wrong, I just don't think it should be compared to say had they written n!gg@

I think that lessens how offensive the term n!gg@ actually is, given the history etc.

N!gg@ is an offensive term for black people... there are lots of offensive words for fat people, none of which were used.

are you really going to act like "fat" doesn't have a negative connotation...

I don't know whether people are playing dumb to save face, or are genuinely this socially inept.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Would it have been discrimination if the receipt had read "redhead girls"?

we already know fat is different than redhead

it just is

maybe some gingers would get upset though....I don't know

I know one is considered an offensive description, while the other isn't. I'm just getting back to the idea presented here that discrimination is discrimination. I'm curious about if ANY description would be considered discrimination.

I think almost everyone here agreed it was mean and rude, and should have been reported. Fat is mean and hurts peoples feelings. I'm more focused on the other ideas being thrown out.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Dec 09 2012 at 7:55am
chinadoll77 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote chinadoll77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:54am
The waiter would have covered the bill himself,and would have still been reported to the corperation. People find it really funny when other's make rude comments about weight,but really I don't pay money to be insulted,and I would be offended if a family member,or close friend had suffered through the same treatment.I would be ready to rip that asshole's head off...

Edited by chinadoll77 - Dec 09 2012 at 7:55am
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by leftywefty leftywefty wrote:

are you really going to act like "fat" doesn't have a negative connotation...

I don't know whether people are playing dumb to save face, or are genuinely this socially inept.

Did you read the bolded? How did you interpret that?

My argument is not about fat not having negative connotations, which is why I took the trouble of highlighting that part to avoid being misconstrued by those who do not read and comprehend fully.

My argument is purely about it being compared with the term n!gg@, and that has been consistent in all my posts.

Anyway, since when was having a different opinion considered "playing dumb" or "being socially inept"?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 28>
  Share Topic