Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
CandiiMamii26 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: fashion careers
    Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 6:09pm
I'm wondering if anyone here participates in the fashion industry... whether you model, work corporate retail, or if you took any college courses/classes having to do with college...

if so may I know a little bit about what you do/did, pros/cons, etc.? I KNOW I want to do fashion if not immediately then at one point in time, I just don't know where I want to begin or even what to aim for... I think I can work with any aspect but modeling Embarrassed

Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 6:47pm
Hello there!!!!
Well, I have been studyin the business of fashion for nine years now. Attended the High School of Fashion Industries in NY, studying fashion design. Graduated with a diploma and then went to college for Fashion Marketing. Got my Associates Degree and now I'm currently a student at F.I.T. (Fashion Institute of Techonology) working on my Bachelors.
Took classes in buying, selling, product development, retail mathematics, etc, etc, etc....
Currently working for a profitable retailer (I will not name it, so don't ask) doing visual Merchandising. Also working for a fashion company (will not name either, sorry) overseaing production, marketing and sales.
Pro's:
In fashion, the opportunities are endless.
Meeting different, unique and interesting characters.
Its a fun atmosphere to be apart of, imo.
People within the industry are ridiculously overpaidBig%20smile
Very fast paced and exciting!
Allows you to get in touch with your creative side, regardless of what part of the industry you are involved in.
If you know the right people, you can go places!
Studying all aspects of the industry(design, marketing, sales, production, retail, etc) will be beneficial in the long run.
The ability to travel overseas.
Con's:
Is super competitive!
You cannot be good at what you do, you have to be great!
Having an Associates degree is like a fancy H.S. diploma; you will not get taken seriously (I learned the hard way).
You must have thick skin and be able to take critisism with a smile.
Don't burn your bridges when it comes to the people in your inner circle, it may hurt you in the future.
Stupid sh!t happens all the time and you have to think quickly to fix them.
It's not glamorous and pretty, only like 15% of the time.
B!tches (male and female) are very catty.
It's not always about what you like, its all about the consumers.
Buying is not as exciting as it seems...trust me (but the pay is good)

When starting off, think about what your strengths are. Are you creative, or more business minded? Luckily, I'm great at both. Study trends and colors (I cannot stress having an eye for color). Follow WWD, Vogue, Doneger, Style.com, etc religiously.
Good luck!
Dark&Lovely View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 7:00pm
what are your job title at these companies?
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 7:10pm
You can try classes in IT supply chain management, I think it'll be easier and more profitable than trying the buyer route (if you don't have the experience).
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 7:29pm
thank you so much blaque! I'll def be PMing you in the future... I think what I would like to do is more in your direction... I really just can't figure the whole thing out

rickysrose I don't have experience anywhere, I am in highschool

blaque, do you think your field of study would be useless for a somewhat shy person... I'm not quiet but when it comes to being comfortable with new people I am shy

forgot to say... I really would like to do something creative but I have hobbied myself sick of drawing and sewing already LOL

Edited by CandiiMamii26 - Jun 02 2009 at 7:30pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 7:36pm

Buyers for larger retailers need to be able to use enterprise level applications, for forecasting, inventory, scheduling, blah blah. 

An IT background, with an understanding for retail will serve you well and put you in position for higher levels of responsibility.

Visual merchandising is at store level.   If you get an IT background with supply chain or retail classes as well, you'll start out in corporate instead of at the store.

Since you're in high school, call some merchandising agencies for jobs.   Visual merchandising is usually contracted out to agencies.    If you don't know of any, you can go into a retailer that you like and ask the store manager for the names of some merchandising agencies that they work with and like.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 7:55pm
ok thank you, do you mean for jobs like an internship?

...and one more question, what does IT stand for? Embarrassed

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 8:00pm
Oh sawwwwwry Candiii ... Information Technology, computers.   Supply Chain covers how, when and at which points goods move from the factory to the store floor and all points in between.   It's the backbone of retail.

You can get a regular job helping a merchandiser!   I know for a fact that many hire students.   You'll get some exposure to how retail works at store level, planograms and what vendor management systems they use and what for. 

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 8:06pm
Just to add a few more things:
Internships are VERY important! Me personally I enjoyed working with the smaller companies because you are able to take on a lot more responsibility. Larger companies tend to have interns run out on errands, getting coffee and etc (some, not all).

Try to get involved in as many aspects of the industry as possible, so if something doesn't work out, you can have something to fall back on.
Don't be afraid of retail. Surprisingly with the right skills and the amount of experience, you can be making a lot of money, espeically in the high end/specialty market.
Piggy backing on the retail aspect, there is a lot more other than doing the typical sales, stock and management. Look into doing visuals, store design, planning and opening, personal shopping/styling etc.

The biggest misconception is that once you get a degree, all of these large companies will come calling you. Think again. Try to have something under your belt that will make you stand out against everyone else. Go to events to meet people, join clubs, take classes and put ALL of that on your resume.

Since we are in a recession, only look into companies that are doing well and EXPANDING. If your favorite store is closing shops left and right, that should be a sure sign as far as how business is doing.

Lastly, if you are shy you are going to have to come out of that if you are interested in this field. I am not a people person at all (I hate people) but I do know when to turn that switch on and off. You have to be direct and confident, if not people will take advantage of you.

Dark&Lovely the positions were mentioned in my previous post...
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 8:27pm
o0o0o0 okay loooovely... I guess I will have a lot of research to do cause this is a lot of big terms and systems for me to learn...

internships/jobs will be hard for me if theyre too far from me, I doubt mom would let me travel to and from the city by myself (esp. no car)

thank you so so much for the help ladies!

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic