Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fans Call for Boycott of New Denzel Movie-SPOILERS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Fans Call for Boycott of New Denzel Movie-SPOILERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fans Call for Boycott of New Denzel Movie-SPOILERS
    Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:01pm
My GF sent me this today. She saw the movie this weekend ( a huge Denzel fan/stan/foolLOL). She texted me from the parking lot right after the movie and basically said a lot f what the boycotters are saying. She was not happy. I guess she wasn't the only one. Did anyone see it? I doubt I will, but I don't see many movies anyway.

=================================================

Some Fans Calling for Boycott of New Denzel Washington Movie

November 4, 2012

When I went to see the new film “Flight,” featuring Denzel Washington, I got almost exactly what I expected:  An extraordinary performance by one of the greatest actors of all time.  Denzel commands both screen and stage unlike any other, and it wasn’t until I saw him up close on Broadway that I was able to see the power of his talent.  ”Flight” was a great movie, and it deserves all the buzz that it’s been receiving.

But while I did get what I was hoping to see, I also saw some things I didn’t expect:  Denzel as a drunken, arrogant, irresponsible, wife-beating, lying dope fiend, not exactly fitting of the well-crafted public image Denzel has built over the last 20 years.  Black women love Denzel for all the intangibles that I could never put my finger on, but their adoration for this man is something that the rest of us know to be all too real (yes, I’m a bit jealous).   Much of this affection started when Denzel’s character took a fierce on-screen beating from his slave master in the film, “Glory,” making him the magical figure that he has become today.

It seems that others are taking Denzel’s latest role a bit more seriously by calling for an all-out Boycott of the film.  Citing a list of reasons that the film is not worthy of a first or second look, they say that people should simply stay home and see Denzel’s next creative venture.   I have no idea who generated the poster (below), but it’s certainly creating a great deal of buzz on our Facebook page. 

denzel

With that being said, this film was difficult for anyone to watch.   Sitting in the middle of the black female mecca of Atlanta, Denzel “Dream Boat” Washington falls in love with the kind of “marginal” white woman who fills the nightmares of every black woman who’s grown tired of seeing themselves passed over for the blonde-head, blue-eyed woman who never went to college.   The film reminds black women of the trifling brothers who consider black women as viable mates for the night, but inadequate to become wives and mothers.  I literally cringed when I watched the film, because I could hear the reactions in the audience, many of them black women, who grew to hate the man they were seeing on screen.  Oh yeah, black women are the most religious demographic in all of America, and Denzel’s character refuses to even pray:  Most of us know at least one black woman who won’t date a man who doesn’t go to church (at least not in public).

Sure, Denzel was just playing a character in a movie.  Yes, it was all make-believe.  But here’s the deal:  Much of the love that drives so many black women to see every movie that Denzel Washington makes is sustained by these make-believe images.   The love they gained for Denzel after seeing him in “Glory” and “Malcolm X” was also built from the land of make-believe and the reality is that many fans don’t differentiate between what actors do on-screen and who they are off of it.  It’s tough to create real admiration and real currency from fictional images and then expect those affected to suddenly understand that it was all fake from the very beginning.

I enjoyed the film and thought it was an outstanding performance.  But then again, I’ve never fawned over Denzel like my female friends.  But for those women who have real love for Denzel based on what he does in Hollywood, this film could set him back just a bit.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Nov 05 2012 at 1:09pm
Sponsored Links

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:04pm
lol @ sold his soul to satan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:05pm
was that in the movie? lol
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:06pm
...I see that article didnt mention Training DayStern Smile
iGotSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iGotSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:07pm
Man I'm pissed.
This was full of spoilers and I planned on seeing it tonight
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:07pm
well he used drugs & bedded non-blk hoes in X & Training Day & STILL got Oscar noms (even won one)  so  I smell another Oscar nom....
Afrocentchic View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Afrocentchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:08pm

Meh, my objection would be that Denzel continues to get acclaim for roles where he plays out the sterotypical black brute. The writer is correct in that his skill set is greater than the roles he has been given and offered.

This is not about black women having their hearts broken because their favorite actor is acting like a demon. It's about better oppurtunities and more varities of stories and genere's of movies (or a lack there of) for people of color.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:09pm
I was looking for it.....I knew i'd see it.....folks want to boycott cause his character falls in love with a white skripper.  With all the bullsh*t out here....Denzel's character being an asshole is something folks can overlook. Folks accepted training day but not this?   LOL
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by iGotSunshine iGotSunshine wrote:

Man I'm pissed.
This was full of spoilers and I planned on seeing it tonight

sorry. I meant to put SPOILER in the title even tho I didn't know if there were any since I only know 2 things about this movie (one is that he plays a pilot; guess the 2ndLOL)

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:10pm
lmao @ ppl that can't separate acting from real life.  this reminds me of ur last thread PH about the gay actors.  smh, my ppl , my ppl..... it's just a ROLE!!!LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic