Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Fading and Removing Hair Color

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fading and Removing Hair Color
    Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 8:44pm

Whether you're looking to go from red to blonde, haircolor came out way too dark, intense or mabe you just want to remove color buildup; there's many ways to remove hair color. There's the household recipes, the non-bleach removers and the removers that are basically bleach.  Please take note that once you've dyed you hair, there's no way that removing it bring it back to your true natural haircolor....this includes rinses.

HOUSEHOLD RECIPES

These are my favorites to use because they're very inexpensive, easy to find just about anywhere, and cause the least amount of damage. Most of us have these things at home already! Free is awesome!!!LOL This is for those who want to graudually fade color over a span of time

Dish soap/ clarifying shampoo/ dandruff shampoo-  This was what I first started using to fade out hair color when I started dyeing my hair in the ealry/mid 90's. Regular DAWN worked the best for me and I could get Punky Color to fade out pretty good in a few latherings. Expect to see colorful suds. Follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner becuse this is drying! Prell dandruff shamoo (green bottle) has been recommened by beauticians for quite a while but, I've used head and shoulders wih dcent results. Any shampoo with sulfates works fairly well.

Hairspray- Another thing I used in the begining in combination with the dish soap. Spray all over your hair in sections and allow to dry (I used a fan or blow dryer on cool), shampoo and condition. If you use a lot hair products, like mousse, pomade, gel then you may not need to use hairspray.

Baking soda- I like to add it to shampoo for a good deep cleaning. Deep condition afterwards.

Hot oil treatments-  Coconut oil, olive oil....whichever oil you like as long as it can get into the hairshaft.

Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2013 at 7:11am
Commercial NON Bleach Removers

Brands- Color Oops!, One n' Only, Colour B4, Ion Color Brilliance.

These are sold as box kits found at Drug stores, SALLY's and some local BSS depending on the area and run in the $10-$15 range. These open the hair shaft and shrink the hair dye molecules to be washed out with shampoo. Some kits conatin a shampoo, some don't. I've only used COlor Oops! which was just a plasic cap and the two bottles need for mixing.I'm not a big fan of this type of color remover; first off they're pricey for a single application, they have a strong sulfuric smell when mixed, and in some of cases I've read that their color darkend after using. SOme also require you to re color or bleach immediately after using...that's disaster waiting to happen. A few of these kits advertise that using their product will "bring your hair back to its natural color without damage"....FALSE!!! There's abosolutely no way that can happen. When a lifting tint is applied to hair two things happen the cuticle is opened in order to to remove the natural pigment and deposit the the artifical pigment permenantly (this is what permenant hair dye really means). The only way to remove all the unwanted hair color is to bleach/decolorize.  

Edited by RedSoxtober - Feb 27 2013 at 12:55pm
KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KikiScorpio92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2013 at 11:21am
Thanks for the info RedSoxtober, I heard that dye removers don't get the job done majortiy of the time , I just think it's another way for companies to make money of us Ouch.

It's simple if your going the permanent route be prepared for the consequences if it's not to your liking.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by KikiScorpio92 KikiScorpio92 wrote:

Thanks for the info RedSoxtober, I heard that dye removers don't get the job done majortiy of the time , I just think it's another way for companies to make money of us Ouch.

It's simple if your going the permanent route be prepared for the consequences if it's not to your liking.
The problem is companies advertise that it will "turn your hair back to its natural color" which is NEVER true; nor is it possible to remove every last bit of unwanted color without bleaching. This goes for non bleach removers in particular. It may rmove most of the color but, there's still the untone laft deep in the hair shaft. Box dyes and box dye removers are something to avoid since they're just a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2013 at 1:20pm
Bleach Color Removers

Brands- L'Oreal Effasol (sold at SALLY's but you need a Pro card to purchase some BSS will have it , L'oreal color corrector (sold at CVS), Color Zap (sold at SALLY's), There's probably a few more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

These are just bleach kits in disguise marked up at around $10, Effasol runs form $1.49- $5 depending in where you go. They come with various set of instructions for the type of dye you want to remove, a bleach powder and 10 or 20 volume  liquid developer. Effasol is just a solitary powder but these all give you the same options of using water instead of developer to help remove some color buildup or to brighten up a tint that came out too dark. These all work fine except for consumer error. The instructions don't tell you that it should only be applied to the sections where dye needs to be removed and that you hair will go orange (if black dye is being removed) possibly with yellow gold roots (hot roots) this is the common mistake.

love_angel011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love_angel011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 10:52pm
oh no :( so i shouldn't do hot oil treatments or prepoos with oil if I have a rinse and I don't want it to fade?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by love_angel011 love_angel011 wrote:

oh no :( so i shouldn't do hot oil treatments or prepoos with oil if I have a rinse and I don't want it to fade?

Sorry I should've added this bit of info to that section.  This doesn't you have to stop hot oil and pre-poo treatments. These are good for color-treated hair but, they may fade the color a tiny bit. Just rinse with cold water after hot oil treatments and try to only shampoo your scalp after a pre-poo to help minimalize color fade.Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 4:11am
Originally posted by RedSoxtober RedSoxtober wrote:

Whether you're looking to go from red to blonde, haircolor came out way too dark, intense or mabe you just want to remove color buildup; there's many ways to remove hair color. There's the household recipes, the non-bleach removers and the removers that are basically bleach.  Please take note that once you've dyed you hair, there's no way that removing it bring it back to your true natural haircolor....this includes rinses.

HOUSEHOLD RECIPES

These are my favorites to use because they're very inexpensive, easy to find just about anywhere, and cause the least amount of damage. Most of us have these things at home already! Free is awesome!!!LOL This is for those who want to graudually fade color over a span of time

Dish soap/ clarifying shampoo/ dandruff shampoo-  This was what I first started using to fade out hair color when I started dyeing my hair in the ealry/mid 90's. Regular DAWN worked the best for me and I could get Punky Color to fade out pretty good in a few latherings. Expect to see colorful suds. Follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner becuse this is drying! Prell dandruff shamoo (green bottle) has been recommened by beauticians for quite a while but, I've used head and shoulders wih dcent results. Any shampoo with sulfates works fairly well.

Hairspray- Another thing I used in the begining in combination with the dish soap. Spray all over your hair in sections and allow to dry (I used a fan or blow dryer on cool), shampoo and condition. If you use a lot hair products, like mousse, pomade, gel then you may not need to use hairspray.

Baking soda- I like to add it to shampoo for a good deep cleaning. Deep condition afterwards.

Hot oil treatments-  Coconut oil, olive oil....whichever oil you like as long as it can get into the hairshaft.

Vitamin C (somehow got cut off)- Like baking soda, it's also mixed with shampoo. Use around 20 crushed tablets (or powder) and mix with shampoo and bit of water then apply to damp hair. Allow o sit for about 30-45 minutes, rinse and deep condtion. This stuff is pretty good getting stubborn punky colours out, and stripping crappy box dye jobs (especially within 24-48 hours of dyeing). Also good for those that have hair that can't tolerate another straight bleaching or bleach bath.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2013 at 4:28am
Originally posted by RedSoxtober RedSoxtober wrote:

Bleach Color Removers

Brands- L'Oreal Effasol (sold at SALLY's but you need a Pro card to purchase some BSS will have it , L'oreal color corrector (sold at CVS), Color Zap (sold at SALLY's), There's probably a few more but I can't remember off the top of my head.

These are just bleach kits in disguise marked up at around $10, Effasol runs form $1.49- $5 depending in where you go. They come with various set of instructions for the type of dye you want to remove, a bleach powder and 10 or 20 volume  liquid developer. Effasol is just a solitary powder but these all give you the same options of using water instead of developer to help remove some color buildup or to brighten up a tint that came out too dark. These all work fine except for consumer error. The instructions don't tell you that it should only be applied to the sections where dye needs to be removed and that you hair will go orange (if black dye is being removed) possibly with yellow gold roots (hot roots) this is the common mistake.

BLEACH BATH/SOAP CAP (not to be confused with the hair extension techniqueConfused)

I didn't know that there was another technique used for hair extensions called a bleach bath.....no idea what that's all about. Confused Okay, so the bleach bath is a less damaging way to remove dye when you hair might not be strong enough to take a straight bleaching. It's a simple mixture of powder lightener, developer from 10-30vol (3-9%), I like using 10 or 20, (I've seen a lot of other people using 30vol) clarifying shampoo (I like VO5) and applied to damp hair starting at the ends and working the mixture up to the roots. WARNING: This will process quickly and you'll be required to check every few minutes to prevent over processing. Don't leave on for more than 30 minutes, some people do 45-60 but I think that's way too long for a bleach bath....may as well do a full on bleaching if it's gonna be left on that long.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2013 at 11:51pm

You can do a bleach bath/soap cap without having to use developer. Just substitue the amount of developer with water and stir until creamy like yogurt. You may add a bit more water if needed. Apply to damp hair with a tint brush and cover with a cap. Don't apply to the newgrowth because it will lighten it a bit.  

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic